What boards DID you take to Indo?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: What boards DID you take to Indo?

Post by Beanpole » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:04 pm

The fact that tuflites are painted makes them last longer. Aesthetically glass obviously looks better but as far as colour and logos goes thats up to the shaper. Hello major shapers who feel the need to put their name or initials in fcuking giant letters on their boards.
Really like the colour and graphics on my Wayne Lynch by the way.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Steve, I spent a large amount of money a few years ago when I got rid of ALL my surftechs and, over a two year period, went through about a dozen TSA boards, 3 LSD pollies, 2 Agency pollies and 8 XF epoxies, also 2 Firewires. I went back to Surftechs starting 2 years ago and I am completely happy with them. I won't be changing again.

I also spent a few years riding just Bert Bergers balsas when he was making them in Mandurah, so I know the tech that takes the "flaws" out of the surftechs.

When are you going to realise I know what I'm doing. At this stage I don't care what other people like or dislike. For whatever reason, Surftechs work for me. I'm not going to waste another pile of money trying stuff I've already tried.

If you want to be a boorish, bigoted dick and make fun of them, go right ahead. It reflects more on you than me, they are just surfboards
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:14 pm

Cranked wrote:. At this stage I don't care what other people like or dislike.

Umm.......

no, forget it.

As you were Cranked.

"When are you going to realise I know what I'm doing."

Maybe you don't? The overconfidence effect is a well-established bias in which a person's subjective confidence in his or her judgments is reliably greater than the objective accuracy of those judgments, especially when confidence is relatively high.[1] Overconfidence is one example of a miscalibration of subjective probabilities.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:25 pm

Well Steve doesn't that get down to what you perceive surfing to be. Let's just say hypothetically that cranky can surf okay to really really good. If he thinks a board goes for him and he's pulling the moves he wants then who's to say he is deluded.

Now surfing is one of the great opportunities for self delusion there is because unless your a competitive surfer all judgements are subjective.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:27 pm

[quote="Beanpole"

Now surfing is one of the great opportunities for self delusion [/quote]

No argument there.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:28 pm

It's a good point. I have particular friends who carry on like they rip, but they don't. I don't have friends who rubbish their own surfing but rip.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:47 pm

The counterpoint to this of course is that everyone thinks everyone else is a kook till proven otherwise. That's why rocking up to a shaper and telling him how you surf is fcuking useless.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:48 pm

Huh good point unless you are honest with yourself.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Hey, I wasn't saying I surf well, just that I surf better on the Surftechs that I've ridden, especially a few that I've got lately.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:57 pm

I dont think anyone thinks you would be that bold. Probably to the contrary.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:06 pm

had 3 tufflites.snapped one,creased its replacement in the same spot & flogged it off for a good price.3rd one is 10years old & feels like it moves through the water better now than when it was new.
Done my best surfing on them but they're too fickle/dependent on conditions for optimum performance/enjoyment.
In summary good to have one, bad to be dependent on them.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:09 pm

Anyway, back on topic.
I had never tried a Tuflite until recently. I went searching for a couple of tuflites a few years back to take to Indo because I was sick of my precious custom boards getting trashed by airlines and motor scooters. Every time I opened a board bag after a flight was with great trepidation.
Got on Gumtree and it wasn't hard to find boards in the sub $300 range that suited me.
To me they're almost throwaway boards at that price, if they get busted up who cares. Small dings you can fix yourself with solar-res while you're away.
Even if I had to leave one behind it wouldn't really bother me. The last thing I give a fcuk about is how they look, and the ones I've had surfed fine.
Back home I use my custom PU boards, but they won't be going in the "What did you take to Indo" thread.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Pretty much my sentiments exactly The Marauding....plus my Bondi special which has had the most serious beating...sorry second most serious beatings of any board I've had and it's still going after nearly none years now. Still love riding the thing.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:26 pm

What's the advantage, cranked? Honest question.

In kayaking/surf skis and windsurfers lightness and stiffness are almost universally desirable, as power is translated directly into speed.
As that's my background prior to starting surfing I had a few Tuflite surfboards when I started, mainly for durability reasons, but they all felt sort of lifeless. They also seemed to struggle with generating speed through trimming and turning, as the gravitational acceleration just isn't there, and the stiffness seems detrimental rather than beneficial.

I suspect that the rail length, high volume and the long period waves you are used to mean this isn't a problem.

I've ridden and owned a range of boards of sandwich and normal construction, mostly wood and innegra skins, and the ones that are lightest and stiffest are the ones I struggled most with. (Just ask legion), so I'm wondering why you prefer them from a performance standpoint.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:28 pm

Davros wrote:Huh good point unless you are honest with yourself.
Not a matter of being honest with yourself. It's the shaper going bull crap.....your a kook.
A good example was when I got a shaper to make an eggy shape boatd for my son when he was about 13. He had a previous second hand egg by another shaper that went great and he was surfing pretty good on it. I gave the shaper an objective description of his surfing but you could see when we went......quite a distance......to pick it up that he had decided I wasn't objective and made it rounder and fatter than we had wanted. Still got it. It gets a run occasionally but it actually fcuked up his style considerably trying to make it work.

One of the worst boards I've had was a FireWire.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:31 pm

Love to take my Fat Bullet to Indo. I reckon it would go great. Fantastic glass job on it too.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Davros wrote:Huh good point unless you are honest with yourself.
Not a matter of being honest with yourself. It's the shaper going bull crap.....your a kook.
A good example was when I got a shaper to make an eggy shape boatd for my son when he was about 13. He had a previous second hand egg by another shaper that went great and he was surfing pretty good on it. I gave the shaper an objective description of his surfing but you could see when we went......quite a distance......to pick it up that he had decided I wasn't objective and made it rounder and fatter than we had wanted. Still got it. It gets a run occasionally but it actually fcuked up his style considerably trying to make it work.

One of the worst boards I've had was a FireWire.
Ok I see.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:21 am

Cranked wrote:
Braithy wrote:all i can think of is the amount of premium waves cranked is blowing on a craft which is scientifically proven to offer less performance in good waves. tufflites own small glassy conditions. all those small to micro summer mornings within an hour of the sun coming up, and that's it.

as soon as the swell rises above waist height, or there is a hint of breeze – from any direction – they become pigs when compared to their PU or epoxy brethren. it's science.
Don't agree Braithy. I've just spent a month surfing overhead to double overhead waves. I was in the water every day, usually twice a day, for a month in all swells and wind conditions. But of more relevance to your point, I also surfed the wind affected sessions. These were more numerous than usual for that time of year, so I clocked up a lot of hours in chop.

It seems Braithy has joined the club of surfers with very little experience of surftechs who still find the need to pontificate. I've ridden poly for around thirty years and surftech for 20 years in all conditions - including wind chop and double overhead. I rode a 7'6 poly semi gun (a CI M13 copy) just 2 months ago in solid waves. I was, as usual, disappointed in its lackluster performance (mainly due to the weight, great in a straight line though) and traded it for a 7'5 JC Surftech, which proved to be a vastly superior board in all conditions.

I don't really believe Steve is doing this as a wind-up, I think he truly believes what he says, including his emotional antipathy.

Braithy however, is a new entry in the game, so I'm not sure what his form really is.

I've owned two. a webber after burner and a MR super twin. I've also had both boards (custom & off the rack) shaped in PU. 14 years later the PU supertwin I had custom is still going strong, so if you look after a board you love, (personally) the whole tufflite (TL) longevity argument fails with me.

the thing that strikes me about your arguments is ... your entire quiver is made up of tufflites. so you're kinda void of all current objectivity because you have nothing to compare it to.

For example:

That year i lived in angourie, i'd often walk down to backbeach and surf little summer peaks, and I'd take both MR's with me and surf them without a leash. every time a board washed in, i'd swap them over. I got to know both constructions pretty well. And small, clean waves the TL was a lot more fun to ride. It was faster, more responsive and sailed over dead sections where the PU would literally sink. Once it started to get around three foot, or any kind of wind (clean offshore was the worst – the TL just got held up in the lip for a few seconds too long, to really set up the wave) the PU dominated.

the TL afterburner was an all-round pig of a board. Didn't go in the small stuff, and in premium waves, it was just a liability ... that board went so bad, that i've never bought a webber of any kind since. any bloke who pump out such a horrible board in any construction just to get a buck, won't get another cent from me.

so ... you're surfing excellent waves and espousing TL as being a dominant board and construction. I'd really love for you to go get a custom JC (he ships to OZ and bali) in your dims and take those two boards (the TL & PU JC's) and surf them solely for a month, alternating waves etc etc and then report back here with findings.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism