Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Please tell me you drove from Bondi to Maroubra then dudded out because of the report I wrote. Please god let that be true.

Small swell breaking on inshore banks, and your plan is to hit it once the tide has run out and the wind is into it, then have a whinge??

:lol: your the gift that keeps on giving.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:43 pm

That's you're...If it will make you happy. I didn't actually don surfing garb for the occasion but I did chuck the board and wetsuit in. Thought it looked crap from Coastalwatch. I thought maybe Hatchie has picked a good little bank out there that may show promise again later as the tide fills in......but no.
I do actually surf the Bra on occasion The Hatch.

Winds still offshore. Re: plan?
No plan....just went for a drive for something to do on a Sunday.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Your timing was off.

Early this morning there was plenty of perfect waist high lefts peeling off just south of the storm water drain with a few chest high sets rolling through. I got plenty.

The wind is now too south, and the slowly building south swell is now overpowering any of the remaining ENE swell. It was already starting to spoil just as I left.

Game over. You were out of step.

Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Um....Hatchie....you do realise it's no big deal for me to drive over to The Bra don't you. You seem to make it sound like one of your long range surf expeditions. Good luck if you managed to squeeze a surf out of the limited conditions we've had lately. If freezing your butt off at sparrows fart for waves like that turns you on....great. I still don't buy the idea it was anything more than a grovel but if it makes you feel good your an excellent fellow.

More likely it's just another classic example of The You Should a Have Been Here Yesterday, Kook School of surfing one upmanship.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Oh god.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:10 pm
Um....Hatchie....you do realise it's no big deal for me to drive over to The Bra don't you. You seem to make it sound like one of your long range surf expeditions. Good luck if you managed to squeeze a surf out of the limited conditions we've had lately. If freezing your butt off at sparrows fart for waves like that turns you on....great. I still don't buy the idea it was anything more than a grovel but if it makes you feel good your an excellent fellow.
That's "you're"
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Beanmong. Your the one that was having a whinge and doubting it all. Just never leave Bondi. There’s less for you to work out that way.
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm

I wasn't whinging just taking the piss out of your usual feverish rundown of your very average surfs.
A typical Hatchie surf report will usually include some reference to how you selected the perfect board from your collection of old surfcraft and managed to execute a series of magnificent manouvres maximising the potential of the breathtakingly fast and challenging conditions. All this after driving for hours.
The rest of the surfing population will say....checked the surf...pretty poor to average.....managed a couple of turns. You are, of course, just that little bit more attuned to the whole surf bisso than the rest of us.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:13 pm

It’s YOU’RE people. Get it right, or I will come around to your house and tattoo it on your forehead.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Feverish run down? It was small but fun and well shaped, that’s all.

Your the one reading “feverish” into. You got Super excited, then super disappointed you missed out. Haha

You love that small baby food surf. That’s why your all flustered and cranky now. Summer when Bondi is typically near flat but offshore your all over it. Posting up every daily marginal session in great details while most of us are giving it a miss.

Go fix yourself a hot toddie, then have a lie down.
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Super excited :D
Oh well, suppose I might as well chuck the board in. If Hatchie is half believable it's possibly better than it looks on Coastalwatch. No surf anywhere else. Bet he's bullshitting as usual.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:35 pm

To be clear bongmong, I also did the “suppose I might as well chuck the board in” as I had to drop my kid off to soccer training there anyway. I just happened to get there at the time it was surfable, albeit marginal but still fun. I’ll take photos next time just to shut you up.

In no way was I making a special trip from here to surf barely 2 foot crowded eastern suburbs waves.
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:45 pm

That's all right then. Didn't you hang around for the game?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:54 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:08 am
godsavethequeen wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:03 pm
You’re either trolling me - in which case, well played, hook line and sinker etc etc - or you’re wilfully not hearing my explanation of their forecasts. ‘Scientifically’ would be you carefully documenting the swell as recorded by the Byron buoy and comparing it to the swell forecast for Lennox head and noting the actual wave height at Ballina compared to the forecast. If they differ wildly then I will be happy to concede that you are right. What ‘scientifically’ isn’t is unverified assertions about unpublished research based on false assumptions, backed up by a single (probably apocryphal) anecdote

<:

Do you even know where the Byron Buoy is Godsave and what it measures?

Once more, their report is for Lennox Head, not Byron Buoy.
They are (supposedly) forecasting breaking waves in feet. Not buoy readings.

This is for both Ballina and Lennox Head.

Update: Tomorrow forecast for Lennox is 6.5ft dropping to 5.5ft.
Forecast for Ballina: 3.4ft.

I don't think you know enough Godsave to even realise how ridiculous this is.
THAT ISN’T WHAT THEY ARE FORECASTING. Look at the Ballina report and scroll down to the detail. It has an extra column for SURF. That’s the wave height on the beach. Now have a look at the SWELL column for Ballina and you’ll notice that it’s identical to the Lennox forecast. So what they’re saying is that the swell closish to where you are will start at 6.5ft @ 8 secs on Monday then die off. They guess that will be 3-4ft at Ballina but they don’t know enough about Lennox to guess wave height so they don’t try. Both times I’ve compared their guess at the swell on your nearest buoy and actual recordings, they seem to tally. A quick look at their actual wave height forecasts for Maroubra have been similarly accurate. So I repeat: instead of jumping up and down huffing and puffing, actually engage with the data based on what it’s attempting to tell you and dispassionately document its accuracy.

It’s the same as here - our wave buoy is miles away but they have clearly gathered enough data to be able to build in a pretty accurate wave height estimator at the main swell magnet. But they don’t then try to guess wave height at the 40 odd other spots around the peninsula as it simply wouldn’t be possible
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Sorry mate, that is what they are forecasting.

Breaking wave height.

Unless Magic Seaweed has a different website in Wales.

At the the moment they are givijng it 2stars and saying its offshore.
Its onshore and close to flat.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:45 pm

Right, there’s a blue square on the Lennox forecast that says ‘breaking wave height’ next to it. Kinda like a key to a chart. You just have to trust me and ignore that. I agree that’s it’s unfortunate that they can’t customise that aspect of the ‘bucket’ into which they pour their data and is superficially misleading at first glance, but just ignore it and scroll down to the detail. Done that? Great. Now, you’ll see there’s no column for SURF meaning they’re not guessing wave height, just predicting swell

Edit: am I going mad?? Have they literally just changed this so it now reads SWELL HEIGHT (ft)? Rather than breaking wave? Anyway, shouldn’t confuse you any more
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Im reading a graph that says breaking wave height.

Does that not make sense to you?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 pm

As for predicting swell using a proxy or virtual buoy, have you not understood a single word about how that leads to nonsense outcomes?

You normally seem such a switched on guy Godsave.