Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:21 pm

A bit of tail rocker does this as well.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Only time I've been tempted by a McCoy is on the rare occasion one from the 90's era pops up on gumtree, usually a bit beat up and yellowed looking. They look decent. they have the classic looking fuller outline but much more refined and lower volume. The modern McCoys, nuggets etc all look too much like boats. And I'm yet to see anyone surf one well enough.

The outline of these two boards look insane. Both rabbidges. Classic, clean lines.

ImageImage
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:19 am

I'll always have a soft spot for McCoy - not just because he's an absolutely classic human being- but because he's made me some of the best surfboards I've ever had.
Right before the nugget period he was making some gorgeous fuller figured (compared to the slater era potato chips) shortboards that were like being set free. I had a 6'3" that went in 2ft surf and 8ft surf.

I've still got an 8ft single fin gun under the house and a 95 shortboard that someone gave to me from under their house super dinged up. I rode that board in the insane ECL winter of 2007. It's got a couple fins snapped out but i might repair it and get it going again.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:22 am

Seen a few boards lately with flute things going down each rail, looks like the deck may even be thinner than the rails, what's that all about?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:23 am

Strength and grip

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:27 am

Makes sense, is the deck stepped down?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:29 am

More feeling under ones feet

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 am

Not on mine, re the step down

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:37 am

I had a concave deck, feeling was the purpose. It was a 36 litre board that was 1.7 inches think in the middle. I didn't like it

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:44 am

I should get out more, when people started referring to litres instead of dimensions I felt old and backed up into my shell :)

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:47 am

Sorry buddy

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:49 am

Davros wrote:I had a concave deck, feeling was the purpose. It was a 36 litre board that was 1.7 inches think in the middle. I didn't like it
A concave deck would not do anything for strength I would think, many years ago had a conversation with a shaper re nose concave in mals as they were going a bit to the extreme(customers) and then complaining at the rate they were breaking.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:56 am

Davros wrote:I had a concave deck, feeling was the purpose. It was a 36 litre board that was 1.7 inches think in the middle. I didn't like it
That's a deep concave. My jd has a slight deck concave. Josh mentioned something about standing lower in the board and stability. I find my feet just seem to sit in the right spot and it seems like I'm a bit more sure footed. Hard to really tell for me though. It's only 1/4" across the deck though.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:00 am

I think if you are looking for feel from concave, put it in the bottom, not the deck

Lots of designers have mucked around with the idea and they've pretty much all discovered the same things. Scooping out the deck tends to fcuk up the foil (the changes of thickness from nose to tail) which is a primary source of feel in a board. It alters the flex pattern as well. All sorts of unintended consequences, all of which magnify as the board's dimensions grow. Plus it's hard to exert pressure on a rail if your contact with the board is underneath the top edge of the rail line.

Maybe the only way to pull it is to keep it simple, just cut the deck down pretty much from nose to tail the way Greenough does with those boards he's been making for Rasta. But even then.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:30 am

Beerfan wrote:
That's a deep concave. My jd has a slight deck concave. Josh mentioned something about standing lower in the board and stability. I find my feet just seem to sit in the right spot and it seems like I'm a bit more sure footed. Hard to really tell for me though. It's only 1/4" across the deck though.
It was a PB Nomad, guy does some interesting stuff he uses something called a ghost tree stringer system for flex I won't pretend to try and understand it, people love his stuff. Great bloke to deal with. I could see them working as modern takes on traditional quad fishes, but again people dig them.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:I think if you are looking for feel from concave, put it in the bottom, not the deck

Lots of designers have mucked around with the idea and they've pretty much all discovered the same things. Scooping out the deck tends to fcuk up the foil (the changes of thickness from nose to tail) which is a primary source of feel in a board. It alters the flex pattern as well. All sorts of unintended consequences, all of which magnify as the board's dimensions grow. Plus it's hard to exert pressure on a rail if your contact with the board is underneath the top edge of the rail line.

Maybe the only way to pull it is to keep it simple, just cut the deck down pretty much from nose to tail the way Greenough does with those boards he's been making for Rasta. But even then.

Just finished reading the White Horses™ Issue 20, you edited. i really enjoyed it.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm kind of surprised that 'gas pedals' like they have on snowboard bindings aren't a thing in surfing.
They make it so much easier to get onto your toeside rail.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:28 pm

I just wanna tap the brakes right here... we don't need gas pedals.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism