Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:46 pm

alakaboo wrote:I'm kind of surprised that 'gas pedals' like they have on snowboard bindings aren't a thing in surfing.
They make it so much easier to get onto your toeside rail.
Longboard (skateboards) they're pretty common on downhill and freeride style boards where you're going crazy fast and need extra grip and pressure on the rear foot for bombing hills/cornering or for stand up slides.

https://youtu.be/TYhnQ_Kxrro
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:05 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
alakaboo wrote:I'm kind of surprised that 'gas pedals' like they have on snowboard bindings aren't a thing in surfing.
They make it so much easier to get onto your toeside rail.
Longboard (skateboards) they're pretty common on downhill and freeride style boards where you're going crazy fast and need extra grip and pressure on the rear foot for bombing hills/cornering or for stand up slides.

https://youtu.be/TYhnQ_Kxrro
Downhill skating blows my mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygl1JFb-b8A
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Same. They're absolutely insane. mt Kiera w'gong I've seen crew bombing it, at least doing 80 clicks https://youtu.be/An2t905gJXE
Sniff wrote:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Slide for more than 10 metres into those guard rails and it's road kill.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:36 pm

Rustt wrote:I should get out more, when people started referring to litres instead of dimensions I felt old and backed up into my shell :)
If we talked about pints and gallons would that help?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Brian Brainwave wrote:
Just finished reading the White Horses™ Issue 20, you edited. i really enjoyed it.
Ha, glad you did. How's Dustin, the guy who had the motorbike crash and ended up sailing halfway round the world. I'd like to help more with WH but everyone seemed a bit cool about that. Oh well only about a thousand more things to do.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:41 am

Beanpole wrote:
Rustt wrote:I should get out more, when people started referring to litres instead of dimensions I felt old and backed up into my shell :)
If we talked about pints and gallons would that help?
No, I'm not quite that old, though considering boards are still talked about in feet and inches it would seem fitting.

Surfed a pretty awesome bank with a few young pros yesterday, quite enlightening and I must say they had good manners.

When does Bell's start?

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:16 am

rode one (nugget 5'11) in Tahiti a few years back - Teahupoo and Vairio. Cranked is 100% right, they have no problem in larger, barrelling waves. The reason i moved away from them was Geoff's lack of interest in shaping anything under 3 inches thick. I'd still love to grab a tiny one from him,

Well perhaps you should take a look at the Thai McCoys, the lightweight epoxys come a bit thinner than his customs.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:29 am

At times I think Geoff may have painted his way into a corner But made it commercially work cause it's become a niche[/quote]

He has been shaping and designing/refining over 50 years, some surfers stick with what they like.

As far as THAT corner goes, GM was riding and shaping what was current, and personally observed the struggle plenty of/older/bigger surfers were having with the"anorexic" designs.The nugget slowly evolved out of that.He simply identified a gap in the market.

Once it became popular, some of the other manufacturers started offering beefed up stubby higher flotation boards.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:35 am

steve shearer wrote:I'll always have a soft spot for McCoy - not just because he's an absolutely classic human being- but because he's made me some of the best surfboards I've ever had.
Right before the nugget period he was making some gorgeous fuller figured (compared to the slater era potato chips) shortboards that were like being set free. I had a 6'3" that went in 2ft surf and 8ft surf.

I've still got an 8ft single fin gun under the house and a 95 shortboard that someone gave to me from under their house super dinged up. I rode that board in the insane ECL winter of 2007. It's got a couple fins snapped out but i might repair it and get it going again.
That gun will go better with side fins, I have one similar that's set up with 3 fins....ive tried it as a single and 2+1, but the trusta set up is miles ahead

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:55 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Brian Brainwave wrote:
Just finished reading the White Horses™ Issue 20, you edited. i really enjoyed it.
Ha, glad you did. How's Dustin, the guy who had the motorbike crash and ended up sailing halfway round the world. I'd like to help more with WH but everyone seemed a bit cool about that. Oh well only about a thousand more things to do.

How's Dustin's attitude about it all? Not one bit of self-pity, which given the circumstances is pretty radical.

I loved the Tom Kirsop read too. If i'm alive when i'm 80, I hope my son is still frothing on me like that! It would have been a hugely successful and rich life if it were to be.

ps really, they were cool on the idea? I'm not sure what's happening there. I haven't heard who the new ed is or whether its another guest ed or what's happening. it mighta been a $$ thing, maybe?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:00 am

Hayden owes McCoy. I don't see a lot of McCoys at the moment. I'm very much looking forward to the day I see some surfing well on them and loving it. It's great seeing people go well on alternative kit, bit rare but.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:12 am

Davros wrote:Hayden owes McCoy. I don't see a lot of McCoys at the moment. I'm very much looking forward to the day I see some surfing well on them and loving it. It's great seeing people go well on alternative kit, bit rare but.
Maybe you should look at the Facebook group, they are spread around the world but all enjoying the sensation of the nugget!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:11 am

Brian Brainwave wrote:ps really, they were cool on the idea? I'm not sure what's happening there. I haven't heard who the new ed is or whether its another guest ed or what's happening. it mighta been a $$ thing, maybe?
yeah you might be right. But I'd work with Gra in that WH mode till the cows come home. So be it, like I said, much to do in any case.

Yeah Tom K is all time. I love his optimism and pride in his boys, his observational skills, and his wry realism about where he's at with it all. Had some great surfs with Rodney at Sunset in Jan just after we'd finished that mag.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:26 am

re nugget riding: here's a McCoy's team rider surfing a nugget. over 7 mins worth of footage in some nice overhead left reef surf. not sure about youse, but to me this doesn't look like much of an endorsement for the nugget. instead it looks like a great reason NOT to buy one. the whole footage is nothing but a bunch of corky tail-based tic-tacking with almost the entire front of the board flapping in the air, with no real use of the rail-length of the board. just bobbing and tick-tacking off the tail. fking yuk!.
Sniff wrote:

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:25 pm

He'd look good if he learnt better hand jive.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:28 pm

He'd look good on a better surfboard
Sniff wrote:

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Well yes all that volume looks to be proving a little difficult to handle/control.
Cheyne Horan did well on those fat arsed tail based pivoty boards, has anyone since?