Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Drailed » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:39 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:09 pm
Pete Mel is 51 years old and there's not a one of you has ever looked down at something like that, ever in your lives, and you never will.
Why do you try and turn something so cool into such a negative? Does it eat you up inside that you will never get a wave or respect like that? Insecure much..
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:47 pm

Yeah, have to agree. At a slight tangent I always think when you see really big waves you struggle to comprehend what it would be like but imagine what a non surfer must think. The degree of shitting themselves is proportional to what you have experienced. So they would imagine that the wave would actually be as scary as say an overhead wave that they might encounter at a big day at the beach. A double overhead day they wouldn't experience but would be terrified out of their wits if they did. If they actually saw that thing they would have a heart attack. I probably would too if I was in the impact zone.

So yeah, Nick. I can guarantee I will never ride a wave that big.....or climb Mt Everest or dive to the bottom of the ocean where it's seven miles deep. I'm okay with that but thanks for pointing it out. Not sure what the point was though.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:12 pm

I think the point is Nick suspects we civilians possibly don’t fully conceive just how epic Peter Mel’s paddle-in ride was. I think that’s right.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:36 pm

It’s only Mavericks. It’s no Oxwich Point
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:36 pm

I dunno, the reaction from the peanut gallery makes me suspect people do realise how epic it was.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:43 pm

I certainly do. I’ve watched it a stack of times. Blown away each time.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:52 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:36 pm
I dunno, the reaction from the peanut gallery makes me suspect people do realise how epic it was.
Of course it’s epic. It’s just nick going all alpha male dick swingy on a fossil of a surf forum with a handful of mostly middle age or old people that are either average surfers or barely surf. Like why bother.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:36 pm

This is bit different, but the same. Bikes, but a big road gap, 30' wide, 20' deep both sides solid vertical rock walls both sided, everyone there one Sunday arvo, one downhill world champ, couple of state champs, all watching.

There's a little 2' kicker on one side to launch, blow it and you go straight into the vertical rock cliff opposite - no way there won't be serious injuries if he doesn't make it. The guy takes a 50m runup, pretty fast, then slows and stops. Typical rider trying to get a feel for something he's never done. He does it again faster, but stops, faster again but stops again.

He talks to a few riders who have done it. Tries to get them to do it, they decline. One says you just have to work out how much you want it, no shame in not doing it. 30 minutes have gone by. He tries again, stops. Next one is really fast, somehow stops again. You can hear him swearing at himself.

The next one is it, really fast, you know he's committed now, just launches it, its a 40' jump, 10' past the far edge and everyone is cheering him.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:50 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:52 pm
Like why bother.
I guess for the same reason anyone bothers with this delightful forum

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:02 pm

touche
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:20 pm

foamy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:50 pm
Hatchnam wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:52 pm
Like why bother.
I guess for the same reason anyone bothers with this delightful forum
Its not even Nicks wave to get alpha about. Like seriously dude, move on, the world doesnt care about how much you are obsessed about surfing and you dont own it any more than anyone else.

I
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:04 pm

I richly enjoy Nick’s extensive knowledge, experience and strong emotion about top level surfing. I hope he continues to generously contribute. Just like I enjoy Cranked’s Bali reports. GSTQ’s view from Wales. Sniff’s Mt Tambourine updates and his provocative art culture assessments. MM’s wit and mechanical advice. Offy and ‘boo contributions from the U.S. etc etc etc

Nick, let ‘er rip old son. I can take it

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:17 pm

You didn’t mention Beans’ contributions, Foamy.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:23 pm

Beany was included in etc. I enjoy yours too, jimmy

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:29 pm

foamy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:04 pm
I richly enjoy Nick’s extensive knowledge, experience and strong emotion about top level surfing. I hope he continues to generously contribute. Just like I enjoy Cranked’s Bali reports. GSTQ’s view from Wales. Sniff’s Mt Tambourine updates and his provocative art culture assessments. MM’s wit and mechanical advice. Offy and ‘boo contributions from the U.S. etc etc etc

Nick, let ‘er rip old son. I can take it
Well said.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:48 pm

foamy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:12 pm
I think the point is Nick suspects we civilians possibly don’t fully conceive just how epic Peter Mel’s paddle-in ride was. I think that’s right.
In The big June swells in NSW, I got cleaned up by something in the 6-8 foot range. I thought I was going to drown. Mel’s wave was 4-5 times bigger, the confidence to be out there, ability to execute so calmly. It was incredible, and I’m really comfortable about never experiencing something even a 1/3 that size.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:24 pm

Honestly, this is why I like Kilojoules. Double overhead is about 3,000 kJs and the biggest swell I've been out in was 4,000 kJ and I was caught inside by a set and was thinking I may not survive.

So when I was watching the 17,000 kJ swell in Bali a few years ago I knew it was probably unsurvivable for me, and the couple of guys towing in were really putting their lives on the line.

So saying one swell was 10' and another 20' just does not convey the sheer power of that 20' swell, it has ten times the power and it's going to eat you alive.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:31 pm