Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

BA
Duke Status

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by BA » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:17 am

Thud wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:58 pm
God I hope to god the Medina doesn’t win. Oh God no.

God
God
God
God
God
God
God
God
God
God
God
God
The best part about Italo winning is seeing Charlie’s reaction. Creepy cunt.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:08 pm

I think that Gabs is very thankful and respectful for what Charlie did for his family when Gabs was growing up. My understanding is that Gabs’ natural father, while not a necessarily a bad man, was not good at the dad tasks, both financially and emotionally. Charlie came on the scene and was a devoted step dad who greatly improved the Medina family circumstances both emotionally and financially. He’s probably a pretty complex bloke who is terrific if he’s on your side.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:55 pm

foamy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:08 pm
I think that Gabs is very thankful and respectful for what Charlie did for his family when Gabs was growing up. My understanding is that Gabs’ natural father, while not a necessarily a bad man, was not good at the dad tasks, both financially and emotionally. Charlie came on the scene and was a devoted step dad who greatly improved the Medina family circumstances both emotionally and financially. He’s probably a pretty complex bloke who is terrific if he’s on your side.
Deep insight. And you this how?
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:08 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:21 am

Ha ha people suddenly having kittens over the Rules

They thought about whether it applied here and decided it didn't quite get there because the consequences were not "of a serious nature", ie nobody got hurt.

I thought, this is a bit like a professional soccer foul, maybe a yellow card but not a red card.
Apparently and allegedly it was the GOAT himself who bought it to the attention of the unwashed herd, but thats neither here nor there.

What is here, is the fact that stepdad Charlie was yelling out to Gabby, "now you can burn him" ... which is pretty fucking lame really. Unsportsmanlike too, but there's another elephant in the room and thats the whole no dropping in at Pipe or you'll be dealt with accordingly, yeah right.

The aforementioned rule starts with this:

If the Discipline Director and Commissioner’s Office determine that an interference during an event was intentional, unsportsmanlike and of a serious nature.

From my perspective all three boxes were ticked in the incident, intentional unsportsmanlike and serious in nature. The WSL can sugar-coat it as much as they like, and the whole "it wasn't dangerous" bullshit is quit simply bullshit. The question of whether Medina cheated, is answered with straight forward affirmative. Was it intentional, yes. Was it unsportsmanlike, yes. Was it serious in nature, most certainly, as it changed the potential outcome of the heat and quite possibly the world tile.

I'm one of the minority in Australia who actually like Gabby, but his actions the other day showed extremely poor judgement. I have no doubt that the Medina camp were still smarting from the infringement against Caio, and the reason for the latest drop-in was twofold. One, to ensure that Caio didn't get a shot at a potential score, and secondly, as some form of retribution to what Soccer-dad Charlie thinks Ibelli did to them last time around. Its quite apparent that stepdad Charlie drives the narrative, not Gabriel.

The WSL needs to show some balls here and sanction both Charlie and Gabby ... no points penalty or such for Medina, an official warning might suffice, but soccer-dad Charlie needs a rocket up his arse, and should face some form of suspension.

Nothing will happen though.

The End.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:39 am
godsavethequeen wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:58 pm
the guy I used to get my boards from.
What’s the back story on this? Why did you stop getting board off him?
Maybe "the guy" put useless channels in em ... ?

Someone needs to point out to GSTQ that while English channels might seem useless, Australian ones on the other hand are quite functional.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:31 pm

Thud wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:55 pm
foamy wrote:
Doesn’t matter, he’s still creepy.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:41 pm

Thud wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:55 pm
foamy wrote:
I read it somewhere.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:57 pm

Yuke Hunt wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:08 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:21 am

Ha ha people suddenly having kittens over the Rules

They thought about whether it applied here and decided it didn't quite get there because the consequences were not "of a serious nature", ie nobody got hurt.

I thought, this is a bit like a professional soccer foul, maybe a yellow card but not a red card.
Apparently and allegedly it was the GOAT himself who bought it to the attention of the unwashed herd, but thats neither here nor there.

What is here, is the fact that stepdad Charlie was yelling out to Gabby, "now you can burn him" ... which is pretty fucking lame really. Unsportsmanlike too, but there's another elephant in the room and thats the whole no dropping in at Pipe or you'll be dealt with accordingly, yeah right.

The aforementioned rule starts with this:

If the Discipline Director and Commissioner’s Office determine that an interference during an event was intentional, unsportsmanlike and of a serious nature.

From my perspective all three boxes were ticked in the incident, intentional unsportsmanlike and serious in nature. The WSL can sugar-coat it as much as they like, and the whole "it wasn't dangerous" bullshit is quit simply bullshit. The question of whether Medina cheated, is answered with straight forward affirmative. Was it intentional, yes. Was it unsportsmanlike, yes. Was it serious in nature, most certainly, as it changed the potential outcome of the heat and quite possibly the world tile.

I'm one of the minority in Australia who actually like Gabby, but his actions the other day showed extremely poor judgement. I have no doubt that the Medina camp were still smarting from the infringement against Caio, and the reason for the latest drop-in was twofold. One, to ensure that Caio didn't get a shot at a potential score, and secondly, as some form of retribution to what Soccer-dad Charlie thinks Ibelli did to them last time around. Its quite apparent that stepdad Charlie drives the narrative, not Gabriel.

The WSL needs to show some balls here and sanction both Charlie and Gabby ... no points penalty or such for Medina, an official warning might suffice, but soccer-dad Charlie needs a rocket up his arse, and should face some form of suspension.

Nothing will happen though.

The End.
Charlie Medina has been suspended from the tour in the past for threatening officials. He spent six months on the sidelines.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:11 pm

I’ll never complain about my local again. How do you even ride a wave in that shitshow?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:49 pm

Looks like it may be possible to walk from surfboard to surfboard all the way along the breaking line of the waves to the beach. ))((
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:32 pm

Nick Carroll: How Italo's Win Unveiled Itself, as Viewed From the Sand at Pipeline

Longtom: How Italo’s Win Unveiled Itself, as Viewed From the Laptop at Lennox.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:23 pm

We had Vanimo to ourselves the whole time, apart from a few locals some of whom looked terrifying but were friendly and knew lineup manners.

And I’m not sure getting dropped in on at pipe and having to straighten out is not dangerous
Erase.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:46 am

Gosh the maroubra forecast is a bit dismal isn’t it. When my mate said he didn’t get one single decent surf in a whole year of living in Sydney I thought it was hyperbole but actually I can well believe it. I’ll catch a couple for you guys over the next few days, cheer you sorry bastards up a bit
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:29 am

Send a little of that Welsh rain too while you're at it . And some cooler weather. And some greenery.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:37 am

It really is dire. Hoping things will settle down sooner than later.
All the best to you cnuts.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:22 am

godsavethequeen wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:46 am
Gosh the maroubra forecast is a bit dismal isn’t it. When my mate said he didn’t get one single decent surf in a whole year of living in Sydney I thought it was hyperbole but actually I can well believe it. I’ll catch a couple for you guys over the next few days, cheer you sorry bastards up a bit
It would have Carwyn Williams turning in his grave.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:18 pm

If your mate didn’t get a single good surf in for a whole year then he’s a kook.

Some mushy shoulder high plus beachie peaks down south and waist high plus clean reef gliders today. Nothing special but ok considering
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:35 pm

Small offshore and peeling on the low tide. Too crowded but got a few this morning including a screaming fast nose ride that went for a long way. Will try and do a head dip for Nick this arvo.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?