Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by buddy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:12 am

Yeh, wanna see the colour

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:17 am

steve shearer wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:10 am
post it up when you get it AJ
After your experience with the broken nose, I'm a bit nervous.

Oh, and now that Photo Bucket is as shit as it is, how do you get photos up?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:20 am

By the way, to be clear, post a picture of your surfboard, not your crotch.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:22 am

ajohnsen wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:17 am
steve shearer wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:10 am
post it up when you get it AJ
After your experience with the broken nose, I'm a bit nervous.

Oh, and now that Photo Bucket is as shit as it is, how do you get photos up?
Try this one.
No need to sign in.
Just highlight the correct link and copy and paste to Realsurf

https://imgbb.com/
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:49 am

Thanks Trev.

One photo of my crotch, coming up!

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:56 am

Come the fcuk on, TNT!
Your shipment's with a driver 24/09/2019 11:19 Sydney - Enfield

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:13 pm

ajohnsen wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:56 am
Come the fcuk on, TNT!
Your shipment's with a driver 24/09/2019 11:19 Sydney - Enfield
You gonna surf today or wait for the morning?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:24 pm

Mate, I’m middle-aged and middle-class. It’s going on the wall.

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:21 pm

I'm heading up to the MNC next week with kids, to where the mighty Mitchell Rae resides- so of course I want to take the Outer Islands board,
but I know, I KNOW, that I'll get skunked. I'm loving this board, possibly the best I've surfed when the surf is 4-6 ft. Something magic about his boards alright. But fcuk it, i'll take a groveller.

It's my fate. Never will I crack the glorious points or heavenly beachies of the Mid North Coast. Tide wrong. Swell wrong direction. Wind's in. It's gonna be better tomorrow. No sand.

AJ, lend me your new stick? It could be the key to a better Mid North Coast!
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Don't have any Futures fins, but. Any feedback on the Laurie Towner designed Need Essentials ones? https://needessentials.com/collections/ ... uster-fins

Nick, MC didn't put the Surfinz boxes in.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:55 pm

looks pretty sick AJ. love that tail outline.

Completely separately .....this is Nicks view on the wave pool comp a year ago after founders cup.

"Reading one story following the Founders Cup finals day, I almost laughed out loud. It stated: “The jury is out”. The statement just seemed so ridiculous. It reminded me of Surfer magazine saying “the jury was out” concerning the Thruster, in 1982, a year after every surfer in the world had got a Thruster. What jury? Five thousand people just paid actual real money to watch a surf contest on site, hours from any actual surf spot! 206,000 people watched the finals highlights package on Facebook! God knows how many watched it elsewhere, via the multitude of opportunities waved before them by the WSL’s almost surgical marketing team.

This whole thing was a huge win. HUGE. "

Now, well, the ship’s got to the mountain top, and it’s all downhill from here. It’s done. It has immense momentum. Who can’t see the pool as part of professional surfing’s future? The Founders Cup was the critical turning point the WSL needed. They’ll be fully convinced now of their direction and will pursue it with all the considerable energies at their disposal.

Kelly’s deal with the WSL on this thing is no doubt back-ended to the max — the more pools they build, the more he earns. He’s rich right now. I think maybe he had best prepare to be very rich indeed.

But meanwhile, the monster is loose, the ship begins to career down the slope, and it seems inclined to take on shapes not necessarily in the original plan. (See: The Controversy That Is Plan B.)

CW has talked to a couple of sources close to the WSL’s key investors, and it seems clear they are developing brand new thoughts on the matter.

You’ve read about the second proposed KSWC Pool in Palm Beach, Florida, for which planning is well advanced. It was assumed this pool would go where Kelly’s first round of pool investors had imagined: to wit, a sort of country club model, where people with a bit too much money would buy a semi-timeshare deal allowing them to stay and surf amid boutique hotels, restaurants, surf shops and all the cool shit you can’t quite manage at a Third World surf camp.

This was in fact the thought behind the early investments in the KSWC — why Kelly’s pre-WSL partners got on board, in those wacky days when it all seemed a sci-fi dream.

But no!

According to our sources, the WSL now has a much bigger vision for the Florida pool. They now see it not as a public facility, but as an elite high performance training centre — a place where young surfers in development programs across the US and perhaps elsewhere can go to train, hone their skills and prepare for their destinies as potential CT pros and US national team members.

Not a country club for slightly chubby ageing rich people, but a serious mega-sporting facility designed to raise the next generation of young super-surfers.

If I were to bet on something, which I don’t, at least not in surfing, it’d be that similar plans await for KSWC pools in Australia, Japan, Europe and eastern Asia, all of which are now on the KSWC’s hit list.

A year and half later, Florida has been scratched, there are no new pool being built at time of writing and the latest edition of a pro comp there has been scoffed at by the author.

Things change.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:59 pm

Not a country club for slightly chubby ageing rich people, but a serious mega-sporting facility designed to raise the next generation of young super-surfers.
Not sure which is worse.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:11 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:55 pm
looks pretty sick AJ. love that tail outline.

Completely separately .....this is Nicks view on the wave pool comp a year ago after founders cup.

"Reading one story following the Founders Cup finals day, I almost laughed out loud. It stated: “The jury is out”. The statement just seemed so ridiculous. It reminded me of Surfer magazine saying “the jury was out” concerning the Thruster, in 1982, a year after every surfer in the world had got a Thruster. What jury? Five thousand people just paid actual real money to watch a surf contest on site, hours from any actual surf spot! 206,000 people watched the finals highlights package on Facebook! God knows how many watched it elsewhere, via the multitude of opportunities waved before them by the WSL’s almost surgical marketing team.

This whole thing was a huge win. HUGE. "

Now, well, the ship’s got to the mountain top, and it’s all downhill from here. It’s done. It has immense momentum. Who can’t see the pool as part of professional surfing’s future? The Founders Cup was the critical turning point the WSL needed. They’ll be fully convinced now of their direction and will pursue it with all the considerable energies at their disposal.

Kelly’s deal with the WSL on this thing is no doubt back-ended to the max — the more pools they build, the more he earns. He’s rich right now. I think maybe he had best prepare to be very rich indeed.

But meanwhile, the monster is loose, the ship begins to career down the slope, and it seems inclined to take on shapes not necessarily in the original plan. (See: The Controversy That Is Plan B.)

CW has talked to a couple of sources close to the WSL’s key investors, and it seems clear they are developing brand new thoughts on the matter.

You’ve read about the second proposed KSWC Pool in Palm Beach, Florida, for which planning is well advanced. It was assumed this pool would go where Kelly’s first round of pool investors had imagined: to wit, a sort of country club model, where people with a bit too much money would buy a semi-timeshare deal allowing them to stay and surf amid boutique hotels, restaurants, surf shops and all the cool shit you can’t quite manage at a Third World surf camp.

This was in fact the thought behind the early investments in the KSWC — why Kelly’s pre-WSL partners got on board, in those wacky days when it all seemed a sci-fi dream.

But no!

According to our sources, the WSL now has a much bigger vision for the Florida pool. They now see it not as a public facility, but as an elite high performance training centre — a place where young surfers in development programs across the US and perhaps elsewhere can go to train, hone their skills and prepare for their destinies as potential CT pros and US national team members.

If I were to bet on something, which I don’t, at least not in surfing, it’d be that similar plans await for KSWC pools in Australia, Japan, Europe and eastern Asia, all of which are now on the KSWC’s hit list.

A year and half later, Florida has been scratched, there are no new pool being built at time of writing and the latest edition of a pro comp there has been scoffed at by the author.

Things change.
Read on Swellnet that the pool is booked solidly at a daily rate of $55k high season/$33k low season until 2021.

May not be the thing for the Pro Tour but those numbers look pretty good to me as a business concept.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:13 pm

yeah, but paradoxically, it threatens their stated business model (which Carroll surmised as being) a "serious mega-sporting facility designed to raise the next generation of young super-surfers".

as a corporate retreat for tech bros and slightly chubby ageing rich people it does make sense.

but that won't help them get their hands on the govt money they need to build them.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:17 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:20 pm

Legion wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:17 pm
The tail looks asymmetrical in the first pic.
(Aj quickly runs off checks tail)
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:43 pm

JJF mediums will work fine AJ

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:44 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.