Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Cranked » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:00 am

foamy wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:49 am
You actually need approval* before you turn up and take over a beach.

*approval usually involving state and local govt meetings, council votes, complex negotiations on the time and manner the contest can be run, contracts written and agreed to, fees and charges, etc. All individual, depending on the locale.
That's not a concept killer. Work with the potential locations in advance outlining the whys and wherefores. A lot of locations will probably be eliminated but there would still be a shitload of local authorities and communities who would welcome the exposure. Its also a much smaller footprint and for a shorter period of time so that should make it more palatable.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:01 am

I actually quite enjoyed this comp...I know my opinion is a bit biased because `i was getting paid to write about it but I liked the compressed, continuous format ( a rarity) so you could see surfers build true momentum .....not this stop start thing we normally see.

I also very much enjoyed the different strategies employed on the Finals Day to deal with the complex equation of a sleepy but ocassionally epic south pac reef break.

I thought Medina had that Final on lock, but of a sudden, his winning strategy of constant wave catching became a losing one as he handed the key to Wilson to get back in the heat.

I guess I'm so tuned to watching 20 years of Slater strategy that that monumental blunder of Medina's stood out like dogs balls.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:16 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:54 am
Cranked wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:16 am
There can be only one solution, its so obvious: set the dates for the tour and then go to where the surf is on that date for christs sake!

Expensive? What's the cost of the duds and half duds atm. And its not just the monetary cost of an event but the damage to the perception and acceptance of surf comps.

Never before has it been as easy to be mobile.
Ha ha never before has it been harder in the context. The WSL CT employs over 60 people and over two tons of gear just to run the webcast. Everything about a CT has to be micromanaged for months before an event. There's even a contractor signed to pack and ship the gear matched to event dates. By contrast, in 1979 the entire Coke Surfabout event moved from Sydney to Bells in six light aircraft with just a couple of days' notice. All they needed to move was a few surfers, judges etc and some boards. You can't pull that shit nowadays. Not unless you want nobody to see you at all.
Yeah, its turned into a complete circus. But all the non-necessary support can stay in the base. That includes all the commentators, judges, media, coaches, etc, etc etc. The only ones being moved around are the surfers, the videographers and the people who set up the satellite video links.

All of the surfers have surfed remote and dangerous places with no support: the danger and lack of facilities aspect can be part of the package, all the other hangers on can have their normal comforts back at the base location. The interface is a half dozen video screens or whatever. We don't even need the base, ninety percent of those involved atm can all work home.

Edit:

There's no point having a vast and expensive on-site operation if the product is not worth presenting. The only things that need to be on-site are the surfers and those recording the action plus the minimum of support. The satellite links and the recording equipment (including drones) plus the web enables all the commentary, judging and editing to be done just about anywhere in the world. They do not need to be in one place at all.

They probably could mobile for less than their current costs if they used the technology that is already available to them to set up an efficient support structure.
Last edited by Cranked on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:19 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:54 am
Davros wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:33 am
WSL should just capture the highlights and produce a 1 hour package on constant re run between events. The show can be sponsored and sold to pay and terrestrial TV
Man, tv doesn't buy stuff like this any more, they stopped doing that around 1984.
Retro baby, it's coming back. Might suit surfing's unique position. No merit?
Last edited by Davros on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:23 am

As a corollary, we could limit the surfers to one board. This would immediately improve the strength and longevity of surfboards and reduce toxic landfill by a million or so boards a year :-D-:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:26 am

One thing that has struck me this year is the bulk some of the guys have put on. Julian Wilson is becoming a little beast and Teledo has thighs like an NRL player.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:32 am

OK, and weight restrictions for surfers too. We want them svelte and glamorous

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:42 am

Single fins?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:44 am

Cranked wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:32 am
OK, and weight restrictions for surfers too. We want them svelte and glamorous
Depends whether you want WSL surfers to be aspirational (svelte and glamorous) or relatable (in which case, we need a fat percentage minimum. Say 22.5%, so the average surfer can relate). I realise that would ends Carroll's dreams of a comeback, but sacrifices need to be made.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:54 am

Go for a fifty fifty mix, we need some aspirational and some relatable

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:29 am

steve shearer wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:01 am
I actually quite enjoyed this comp...I know my opinion is a bit biased because `i was getting paid to write about it but I liked the compressed, continuous format ( a rarity) so you could see surfers build true momentum .....not this stop start thing we normally see.
biggest thing killing the 'sport' ...

it's an absolute ordeal to follow.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:27 am

steve shearer wrote:

I also very much enjoyed the different strategies employed on the Finals Day to deal with the complex equation of a sleepy but ocassionally epic south pac reef break.

I thought Medina had that Final on lock, but of a sudden, his winning strategy of constant wave catching became a losing one as he handed the key to Wilson to get back in the heat.

I guess I'm so tuned to watching 20 years of Slater strategy that that monumental blunder of Medina's stood out like dogs balls.
Read your updates on Grit. Great summation and no need to look at the heat analyser.
I guess after JBay, anything except 10 foot drainers was going to be a monumental let down.
What dims on the Ghost?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:48 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:49 am

channels wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:27 am
steve shearer wrote:

Read your updates on Grit. Great summation and no need to look at the heat analyser.
I guess after JBay, anything except 10 foot drainers was going to be a monumental let down.
What dims on the Ghost?
6'1" stock dims.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:50 am

Legion wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:48 am
Medina is very unlikable.
I like that he is unlikeable.

I was rooting so hard for him to win.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:56 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:09 pm

I thought Medina's 9.2 was easily the best surfed wave in the final.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:54 pm

You can't see a difference between free surfing and what is supposed to be competitive sport?