Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Cranked » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Well this discussion is actually leading somewhere: one point being that due to overcrowding and widespread frustration and even occasional violence, its negligent to be advocating that people take up surfing without a plan to increase the availability of surfable waves
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Kelly's magical wave machine?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Only 3 people out on the entire ulus stretch this afternoon, but then conditions were pretty bad. Reminded me of surfing Avalon (WA) or Lefthanders of an afternoon when the southwesterly is in, but not as crowded

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Cranked wrote:Well this discussion is actually leading somewhere: one point being that due to overcrowding and widespread frustration and even occasional violence, its negligent to be advocating that people take up surfing without a plan to increase the availability of surfable waves

it's true.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Yes. I propose a moratorium on all surfboard sales to kooks until there are at least three artificial reefs on every beach on the East,West and South Australian coastlines
Erase.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:21 pm

I just took off a pair of boardshorts and noticed a label saying QUAD STRETCH
Bugger me I never knew
Erase.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:30 pm

So far, artificially constructed surfing reefs don't work. Pointless to talk about them.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:34 pm

foamy wrote:So far, artificially constructed surfing reefs don't work. Pointless to talk about them.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11 ... -rock-bot/
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:42 pm

foamy wrote:So far, artificially constructed surfing reefs don't work. Pointless to talk about them.
I think what would work really well is to restructure existing reefs. How many times have you seen potential surf spots that just aren't quite right. A subtractive modification does not have the problem of anchoring additions securely enough to prevent wave damage.

I guess there may be ecological problems, but I dont see why the remodeling can't duplicate the original environment so that the original ecology will reestablish itself

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:55 pm

No reefs on the goldy to remodel either.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:00 pm

groynes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:10 pm

Bugger all chance of anybody making a wave hazard in an unpatrolled stretch of sand....least of all on the Gold Coast. Liability would exclude that proposal quick smart. What I can't really understand is how the council lets them get away with the skis.....what happens when.....as is inevitable....someone gets hit....it's not fcuking Bali or Thailand.

All the Pros care about is getting wave time in before the comp.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:11 pm

petulance wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11 ... -rock-bot/
The Aussie guy being interviewed. Great last part of the clip where (for the camera) he tries his best to sound excited over just having surfed waist high English Channel mush

https://youtu.be/Om9ZE3Ew4zw
Last edited by Hatchnam on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Legion wrote:What were they, sea lice? I always wanted some, with their little castles and their happy smiling faces!
Brine shrimp - Artemis.
Amazing animals, they live in cysts that can survive for years without moisture.
Used in food in the aquarium/aquaculture industry.

I came up with a business plan to grow them, and red algae, in saline groundwater in NW WA.
Couldn't get the seed funding or the approvals, but the figures stacked up.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:14 pm

I agree, Cranked. Filling in some gaps in a reef, creating more fish habitat and, if there are better waves, who's to complain. Sounds good. But, I'm not sure there is that many examples where that simple, cheap, reef enhancement is available.

On the type of conditions on the sweepy 5kms sand belt between Kirra and Currumbin, no one has ever got an artificial reef to work in any place like that.

Groynes are purely sand transport stoppers. Good for boat access to rivermouths, but any surfing advantages are usually more than out-weighed by other effects down current.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:30 pm

Bargara is an example of a cheap improvement to a reef. Wasn't strictly (or even remotely) legal, some bloke just went down there at low tide and shifted some rocks.

Steve, the Gold Coast has a surf management plan, and a surf council.
They struggle to get any interest from the locals, except when Brad Farmer pokes his head above the parapet and says something to get media attention.
Surfrider spends much of their time on the verge of bankruptcy.
The Australian Coastal Society normally has fewer than 150 paid up members.
Who do you want to represent you?

Palm Beach artificial reef got approval, and they're repairing Narrowneck.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... pqkl3.html

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:41 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Legion wrote:What were they, sea lice? I always wanted some, with their little castles and their happy smiling faces!
Brine shrimp - Artemis.
Amazing animals, they live in cysts that can survive for years without moisture.
Used in food in the aquarium/aquaculture industry.

I came up with a business plan to grow them, and red algae, in saline groundwater in NW WA.
Couldn't get the seed funding or the approvals, but the figures stacked up.
.....but they didn't really look like sea monkeys.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Cranked wrote:
I think what would work really well is to restructure existing reefs. How many times have you seen potential surf spots that just aren't quite right. A subtractive modification does not have the problem of anchoring additions securely enough to prevent wave damage.

I guess there may be ecological problems, but I dont see why the remodeling can't duplicate the original environment so that the original ecology will reestablish itself
I suggested the same thing on this site a few weeks after i joined, a few years ago or whenever it was. Started a thread in fact, the only thread i think i've ever started on this site. Got shot down in flames by quite a few, NC in the main. He got stuck in. Suggested the idea was a piece of shit and he would vehemently oppose any suggestion of artificial reefs in his hood. He likely had his reasons, I can't remember the details, although one argument i do recall was there's already plenty of waves up and down the coast. Good waves that go unridden, which is fine if your at spot X mid week in bum fcuk nowhere and luck onto some good swell.

I still contend that there are a multitude of existing reefs up and down the coast that don't quite work as surf waves that could be supplemented with rocks or other equal material that could turn the reef into good surf, without detrimental impact on the environment. In fact it could be beneficial for habitat.

The entire east coast is only about 10,000 years old at it's current ocean level, most of the beach sand is approx 6000 years old. (happy for a fact check here Boo). The entire coast is a collection of random, haphazard consequences of sea level change and varying geomorphology. It is largely random and continually changing. Throwing a few rocks into an existing reef that almost works as wave to make it actually work as a wave is nothing like building giant groynes or sea walls for safe boat harbours.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet