Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Drailed » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:58 pm

Lol, me too
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:06 pm

saltman wrote:I can get where Steve is coming from - surf the bucket list while you can so good luck prioritizing it
A friend reminded me a few months ago that from today the next 12 months is between 5% and 10% of my potential surfing time left
Spend it wisely
Cant be bothered waiting for a surf buddy to get there act together to coincide with my windows anymore
Last week of January I slipped in a week alone (off season) on a Sumatran Island just because I could as was in the area
G Land (sure early season but again the opportunity was there) next week. I will turn 55 while I am there, regretted not doing it early 80's when I had the chance.

just booked trip to Indo Late October - want to go somewhere I haven't been before - maybe Roti or Sumba?

there are plenty of 45yo + surfers here and I wonder how many regret not surfing places when they were fitter but too busy?
Good points. So your mate reckons 65-75 is the retiring age for a recreational surfer? I'm fast approaching the lower age limit but I'm hoping that I can still surf into my 80s. Trev is closer to the upper limit. Be interesting to see how many surfing years he thinks he has left.

My bucket list is less demanding, just Jeffreys Bay and the Severn Bore.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:22 pm

There is an early 70 surfer locally. Ive watched him paddle out in overhead washing machine junk that I didnt want anything to do with. He often surfs overhead waves. Paddles out nice n slow, catches a wave, then comes in for coffee. Legend

I'm sure he only started at 60 or so

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:24 pm

I'm 65, getting to my feet is the big problem, after that its all ok. I did surprise myself on a few good waves at the racetrack the other day, actually jumped to my feet in one movement and no foot adjustment required... nearly fell off in surprise.

I put it down to that surf fitness routine I've been spruiking lately
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:16 am

Cranked wrote:I'm 65, getting to my feet is the big problem, after that its all ok. I did surprise myself on a few good waves at the racetrack the other day, actually jumped to my feet in one movement and no foot adjustment required... nearly fell off in surprise.

I put it down to that surf fitness routine I've been spruiking lately
I didn't realise you were that age Cranked - you look much younger in that avatar!

Is it a physical problem or injury that makes it difficult getting to your feet or is it a balance thing?

I have bad knees but they don't affect my surfing or cycling, only my running which I gave up years ago. My shoulders and back used to get sore occasionally after big surfs but weight strengthening exercises plus situps for core strength are minimising, in fact eliminating, that issue now. Still hoping to be surfing in my 80s, albeit on a mal.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:07 am

You have to be pretty fit and flexible to jump to your feet in one fluid movement with your front foot angled correctly between your hands and your back foot in exactly the right spot. It gets harder as you get older.
I'll see how I am by the end of this year. I only spent 60 odd days in Bali last year and imovthere's not enough good waves to maintain surf fitness for a shortboard in Perth. On a midlength, mini mal or mal its a walk in the park

BTW, some guys I know who surf around Byron reckon Bob McTavish is the fastest to his feet of anyone they know, he's at least 70
Last edited by Cranked on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:08 am

What board are you riding in Bali Cranked?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:14 am

A 6'6 twinny, 6'8 fatburner and a 7' hybrid quad fish, all around 45l. Just swapping from one to another atm

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:16 am

Before this trip it was xf McCoys, 6'6, 7' and 7'6

I've got a 7'6 merrick m13 style semi gun that I'll bring when the season kicks off later.

Btw, I make no claim to being anything but an intermediate surfer who sometimes gets some good waves but more often kooks out somehow or other
Last edited by Cranked on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:20 am

Yes, not surfing different places does become a regret as you get older....but on the other hand Im feeling fit as a fiddle at the moment. Wouldn't do anything like a boat trip though because I can have a couple of solid sessions then I will gradually cease up after a couple of days....need to have a break for a couple of days to let the body repair and loosen up again.

I agree with cranky re: getting to your feet in one fluid motion.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:11 pm

Watching a bit of the comp at Manly. Amazing how the pro's can make shit surf look reasonable.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:06 am

channels wrote:Watching a bit of the comp at Manly. Amazing how the pro's can make shit surf look reasonable.
Uncomfortable moment when the ex world champs did their expression session thing. Discussion in commentary box turned to Occy's stellar rise to fall to rise career. Mention of the fried chicken and chips period but then between Layne and Ronnie (I think) went on to discuss Sarge's 'wonderful influence' on pictorial rise to fame of the young champ neither thinking maybe they had just let an elephant in the room.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:21 am

But he didn't swallow. It's all fine

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:02 am

The alleged (?) molesting incident aside, would Sarges career have been so suddenly cut short if he'd been outed today?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:35 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Tue May 23, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:00 am

Surely the wind went out of the sails of that argument when Kelly won 8?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:08 pm

Not for her it didn't. But it doesn't really bother me. If you've got it flaunt it especially as it doesn't look like Steph will catch up now.

What does bother me about her is her and Kurt's approved building application from Warringah Council and the long-term ramifications on Pittwater residents especially, if the northern beaches councils merge. But that's another story altogether.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:25 pm

chrisb wrote:Not for her it didn't. But it doesn't really bother me. If you've got it flaunt it especially as it doesn't look like Steph will catch up now.

What does bother me about her is her and Kurt's approved building application from Warringah Council and the long-term ramifications on Pittwater residents especially, if the northern beaches councils merge. But that's another story altogether.
Isn't her place in Manly? Or is the bridge the boundary between Warringah and Manly?