Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Wubic Pig
Harry the Hat

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Wubic Pig » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:22 am

Goanna wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:45 am
So why do my boards cost $1000 a pop #*!
I reckon it's a bargain - try getting your plumber to make one for you - not much change out of seven large...
Beanpole wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:44 pm
You have nothing I want or need.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:24 am

Yuke Hunt wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:20 am
For a bloke who constantly derides all things Australia ... its funny how Godsavethepedofilesmother has found a favourite new word for himself ... CORE-LORD is of Aussie origin, and to make matters even worse, he's missed the point of its usage completely ... the silly fucken bore-lord.
No poem womble? Shame
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

Wubic Pig
Harry the Hat

Post by Wubic Pig » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:24 am

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:58 am
Yes, fully integrated tour.
Won't last.

This is exactly what fucked up lawn bowls...
Beanpole wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:44 pm
You have nothing I want or need.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:28 am

Wubic Pig wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:22 am
Goanna wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:45 am
So why do my boards cost $1000 a pop #*!
I reckon it's a bargain - try getting your plumber to make one for you - not much change out of seven large...
Surfboards are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things ... $1000 per board averages out at under $20 per week over a year, try comparing that to other sports if you think surfing is financially raping you. Buying second hand boards would be even more cost effective.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:37 am

Canggu in the eighties - Chew and Spew was the only structure within cooee.

It's actually quite close to Legian if you ride up the beach.

“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:07 am

Everyone wants 6-10ft pipe.
We are all disappointed when the event doesn't have that.
The whole point of the event is to reward those that are willing to go.
To have a 5x world champion that is from Hawaii and is a very competent barrel rider not really willing to go was a let down.
Carissa even said I hope the final is held in fun 4-5ft waves.

The woman haters all complained that they sent them out in 2-3ft crap to protect them.
The equal opportunists countered that they need proper pipe to showcase their stuff and the WSL failed them for sending them out in 2-3ft crap.
They got the opportunity, the final 4 anyway and they said, nah, too scary.
(Though if it was held in the 6-10ft picture perfect Friday maybe they would have had a go? We'll never know now, WSL mistake that one)
Then they got another opportunity and only one good wave was surfed by the three tour surfers. The wildcard charged.

All this has done is give more ammunition to the woman haters.

Rochelle Ballard, Kealla Kennelly and the like would have had the attitude - 'let's prove these arseholes wrong and show them what we've got.'

I don't know who called the shots to get pipe and tahiti on the tour, did the WSL tell the women that's how it's going to be or did the women themselves campaign for it?
But if they want to contest 4-5ft friendly waves the whole time then they should be back at Honolua and places like macaronis.
Hopefully the next crop of young guns takeover soon enough.
I agree with GS that this is the starting point and it'll be different in 5 years time, but a few of the current women could have put in a bit more effort on the big stage. They had pipe to themselves with a safety patrol. That's the time to practice. Not sit away from the takeoff zone. You can go sit in the channel any day of the week and you'll learn more than what they did because you'll see what the best are doing.
Last edited by buddy on Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:08 am

foamy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:14 am
Johanne Defay has been the the regular foot exception. She has won 2 events, Cloudbreak and GLand.

Not G-Land.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:09 am

Oh yeah, I meant Uluwatu.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:33 am

yep.

otherwise agree, her backhand is a league above.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:35 am

godsavethequeen wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:07 am
Catastrophe? You reckon? Maybe from the viewpoint of the thousand or so tragics watching live and the hundred or so who read beachgrit and swellnet but I’m sure the WSL ‘socials’ painted a very different story
Interesting point.

Can the live audience be completely bypassed by "socials."

Is that alternate reality enough to carry a sport?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:41 am

buddy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:07 am
To have a 5x world champion that is from Hawaii and is a very competent barrel rider not really willing to go was a let down.

The woman haters all complained that they sent them out in 2-3ft crap to protect them.
The equal opportunists countered that they need proper pipe to showcase their stuff and the WSL failed them for sending them out in 2-3ft crap.
(Though if it was held in the 6-10ft picture perfect Friday maybe they would have had a go? We'll never know now, WSL mistake that one)
Then they got another opportunity and only one good wave was surfed by the three tour surfers. The wildcard charged.

Rochelle Ballard, Kealla Kennelly and the like would have had the attitude - 'let's prove these arseholes wrong and show them what we've got.'

I don't know who called the shots to get pipe and tahiti on the tour, did the WSL tell the women that's how it's going to be or did the women themselves campaign for it?
But if they want to contest 4-5ft friendly waves the whole time then they should be back at Honolua and places like macaronis.
I agree with GS that this is the starting point and it'll be different in 5 years time, but a few of the current women could have put in a bit more effort on the big stage. They had pipe to themselves with a safety patrol. That's the time to practice. Not sit away from the takeoff zone. You can go sit in the channel any day of the week and you'll learn more than what they did because you'll see what the best are doing.
I don’t think people are women haters. That’s an emotive statement. There’s been an attack on the WSL and the way they handled the fact that the women couldn’t surf what the men could.

But, handing out encouragement awards cheapens the product.

You see that’s the issue. It’s not the H2O version of Bobby Riggs battle of the sexes. That’s a convenient distraction. It’s the abysmal product management by the WSL, Jesse Milly-Dyer and some of the women competing.

This is a business issue.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:05 am

Thud wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:41 am
buddy wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:07 am

I don’t think people are women haters. That’s an emotive statement. There’s been an attack on the WSL and the way they handled the fact that the women couldn’t surf what the men could.

But, handing out encouragement awards cheapens the product.

You see that’s the issue. It’s not the H2O version of Bobby Riggs battle of the sexes. That’s a convenient distraction. It’s the abysmal product management by the WSL, Jesse Milly-Dyer and some of the women competing.

This is a business issue.
Yeh a lot of it is reasonable criticism and I’m one of them too. I thought it was a poor showing and poorly managed and communicated by the WSL

But there are plenty of people out there that throw out the they don’t deserve equal pay, they’re shit arguments at all costs and what happened at pipe, those people are going to feel their opinion was reinforced.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:17 am

Probably right.

But, the women live out of suitcases, surf their arses off, make the the same sacrifices as the men etc. Hence money deserved.

I’d only say don’t ask to surf it if you don’t really want to. Or WSL make a decision and plan for the scenario better.
Beanpole wrote:

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:23 am

Yeh I’m fine that they get equal pay.
It’s controlling the narrative and telling us one thing when visually we can see that’s not what is happening is ridiculous.
We are sports and surfing fans, you don’t need to hype it up to us, pumping waves does it on its own.

What do you think ohHEY?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:59 am

Given the cut throat level of the comp qualifying standard how long till transgender issues crop up?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:01 pm

A long time still.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:57 pm

Peter Drouyn ahead of her time again.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:39 pm

Her surfing went downhill when she became a woman. Typical.
Beanpole wrote: