Does surfing under the influence enhance the experience....

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Rustt
barnacle

Re: Does surfing under the influence enhance the experience.

Post by Rustt » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:01 am

Ringmaster wrote:We have a winner^^^

Got pretty used to sharing a hash spliff at a mate's apartment before paddling out at Mundaka when I lived over there in the early 90's. Same as Crusst.....the only difficulty (sometimes) was getting from the apartment and into the water without doing something stupid (forget to wax up/jump in with wettie unzipped/smack the tail of your board on a parked car walking down the narrow paved streets/slip on the cobblestone steps in the harbour etc.)

Once in the water would just feel nice and loose and for some reason feel like I could paddle like a machine. Maybe cause the water was really f.u..ken cold most of the time...........
May have crossed paths, spent 2 months staying at a place referred to as the "cave", November December 91. By then I didn't touch drugs as I'd figured out I could stay for a week to a month at a world class surf spot for the price of an ounce.
Beanpole wrote:I reckon I spent half the seventies surfing stoned really. When I was in the equivalent of year 10 the older guys used to just chuck a pebble of hash into a chillum and hand it to the grommets and get them ripped off their minds for entertainment. We went from having a hyper competitive Board riders Club to just total parody and then dissolution in about three years from when I started surfing.
Just about a carbon copy of where I surfed, throw in smack to make sure the wheels totally fell off

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:58 pm

Yeah, I have got some, will scan them.

Surfed a lot with a young Californian guy that was studying close by, had a few surfs big and clean on dark, just me and him, bloody cold.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Since this is still in the public section I'm expecting an exposé on surfing drug use on Sunday Prime Time.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:23 am

SCN_0003.jpg
there you go, you can just make out the tip of me board in the bottom photo :-D-:

grapsta
regular

Re: Does surfing under the influence enhance the experience....

Post by grapsta » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 pm

Years ago in Murawai, Nz I had the most serious hold down I've ever had...thought I was going to drown etc etc...I'm sure I wasn't even close but it spooked me for a week or so -- up until the session I had a after ingesting a portion of a trip. Caught a big one and fell off and just rolled around under water laughing and going with no wave....learnt a valuable lesson that day that I never forgot - stress and panic uses up energy underwater - stay calm !
Couldn't really actually surf properly though- mainly sat out the back chatting to a mate.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:03 pm

grapsta wrote:Years ago in Murawai, Nz I had the most serious hold down I've ever had...thought I was going to drown etc etc...I'm sure I wasn't even close but it spooked me for a week or so -- up until the session I had a after ingesting a portion of a trip. Caught a big one and fell off and just rolled around under water laughing and going with no wave....learnt a valuable lesson that day that I never forgot - stress and panic uses up energy underwater - stay calm !
Couldn't really actually surf properly though- mainly sat out the back chatting to a mate.
Surfed Maori Bay, just round the corner from Muriwai, a few years back and had my first near drowning experience there. And that was not under the influence of anything, I can't imagine surfing that area while high.

grapsta
regular

Post by grapsta » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:11 pm

yeah Maori Bay was where I surfed tripping .....the near drowning was few kms up Muriwai beach from the Surf Club.