Indo...is it worth it

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bomboraa
regular

Re: Indo...is it worth it

Post by bomboraa » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:20 am

From only a couple of others out at an out of the way spot early in the week to packed at some well known spots later when full moon ultra low tides at dawn reduced the options. Even then not too hard to get waves. Lot of euros and Russkis going straight. And had two dawn sessions to myself on a pitching bit of low tide reef while 100 metres down the beach was half the size and chokas.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:30 pm

My crowd factor was: Seminyak beachie with a rip bowl that kept dragging you straight past the little takeoff spot and deposited you in the middle of a close out-crowd factor 2 up to about 5 locals. Pretty crap but if it was Bondi there would have been 50 to 60 people on it. Good to get a bit of paddling practise in before heading west. Crowd factor out there?
Fcuk all really. 2 to maybe 10 guys at its most crowded. More like 5 to 6 most of the time.

Serengan: really crowded on the main break which looked crap. Maybe 8 to 10 riders of varied ability where we were.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:17 pm

Just got back from Bali. Had fun uncrowded waves up to triple overhead. You just gotta go to the right spots. A few tips:

Kuta - absolute sh!t hole of a place. Just horrible. Avoid
Legian - as above
Seminyak - as above
Cangu - absolute circus over run by hipsters. Line up clogged by kooks on alternative boards and hypto kryptos. Avoid

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:24 pm

Hey Natho, when you said avoid, did you mean avoid as in places to surf or avoid in general?

You know you are in Canggu when ...
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:50 am

I couldn't believe that Deus thing in Canguu, I went in and asked the guy if he actually sold any of the supremely overpriced boards, the break there is pretty shite as well but you'll get waves there for sure as it seems the surf camps take there Euro tourist there. I don't know what the fuss is about. I hadn't seen to many hipster types in the Narrabeen to curly stretch until the weekend when I encountered 6-8 young bearded loggers in vests on beautiful looking boards I have to say, they weren't flash surfers but seemed to having fun, it was kinda of weird to see a flock on them in all their glory.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:05 pm

petulance, I mean avoid in general for surfers and no surfers.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:52 pm

Yeah, generally agree. Seminyak is a bit less crowded. It had a bit of a bank when I first went over. Nothing flash but handy to have a bit of a paddle after basically no surf for most of Xmas. Sank a few beers and had a few feeds on the beachfront. The gloss wears off fairly quickly. i prefer Sanur as a hang if I'm not concerned about the surf. You can duck over to Serangan or up to
Keramas.

Canngu I haven't surfed since 1982.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:33 pm

otway1949 wrote:An important thing to remember is that Java is colonising the whole archipelago, Javanese police in charge over a token local army barracks filled with Javanese troops and strike force Kopasus troops in charge .
There are a few islands that would break free, but however have learnt the East Timor lesson well.
True, but on the flip side the bloodline of most Indonesia's comes from Java, so in part the majority of Indonesians will have some Javanese DNA, especially in areas such as Bali.

Even east timor people have Indonesian bloodlines IMO east timor should never have been let go there culture and bloodline is pretty much Indonesian, West Papua now thats a totally different kettle of fish and should have been let go, but will never happen it was always either East Timor or West Papua but never going to be both.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:06 pm

nice place to hang

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:20 pm

Slobadan Madicubich wrote:nice place to hang

Or shoot your mouth off :(
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:08 pm

Don't really see it as genetics but cultural and ideological.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

grapsta
regular

Post by grapsta » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:42 am

She's a keeper alright....I've been to Bali 4 times now but I don't actually surf anywhere near as much as I should for a multitude of reasons but 2 of which are the missus wants to go stay at surf-less places like Candi Dasa and Ubud ...and then when I am near surf she gets bored if shes by herself for too long........and now we've got a toddler he's such a freakin handful over there that we have to take turns looking after him which also cuts into my surf time grrr

Most of the best surfs I've had have been at Kuta Lombok....see if you can get a deal at the Novotel - it's a really nice hotel / location and the guys at the local surf shop are sweet as . In Bali - Balangan is often a great wave for below average surfers..and nice warungs down there too although most of them burnt down recently...couple left though. or you could try one of those $200 for a week deals up at Medewi that you see on Ebay . Looks like a cruisey long left up there

Last trip I stayed in Seminyak after avoiding that strip for ages....really enjoyed just walking down to the beach and surfing fun little beachies with about 7 people out....only 3-4 of which could surf .

grapsta
regular

Post by grapsta » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:57 am

Bobby Dazzler wrote:steve is surely right, it was undoubtedly a bit of a missed opportunity. folly of youth and all that, aka stupid.

i'm in the water most days now, but am still damn lazy when it comes to travelling. the surf is better a 20-minute drive away. but i just walk down the end of the street for a wave.

#.
Don't be so sure....as someone who lives 20 mins south...on the beach with the free parking and constant announcements from Coastalwatch that its the "pick of the bunch today "...and as someone who drives a bus past both beaches on the regular .....I'm surprised how often Bronte has a sweet little wave without too much of a crowd.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Gotta admire the way the Balinese incorporate modern madness into tradition. An ogah ogah complete with selfie sitick from nyepi just past.
Attachments
ogah ogah with selfie.jpg
ogah ogah with selfie.jpg (47.99 KiB) Viewed 6073 times

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:56 pm

^^^^
An affectionate and closely-observed depiction of Western visitors enjoying Bali.

grapsta
regular

Post by grapsta » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:12 pm

and by Western you mean Australian

grapsta
regular

Post by grapsta » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:12 pm

....I don't where that is but I'm sure as hell not eating their Babi Guling

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:24 pm

I love those statues they make. Australian Tourists with fat guts, swilling beer fit directly into the Balinese cast of characters from the Wayan Kulit Shadow Puppets. Vulgar buffoons.

Those triumphant heroic monstrosities they whack up in the round abouts are over the top.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?