Indo...is it worth it

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Indo...is it worth it

Post by Kunji » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:26 pm

The only waves in indo that are worth the hassle and the flight$ over there are pretty fast and advanced.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks for the input, philw.
Karlos wrote:BD what I'm saying is that you should be held in the same esteem as the likes of Karl Lagerfield for your contribution to the world of female fashion, but as we know it's the pioneers who lay the groundwork only for others to collect the spoils.
Pioneers get the arrows, settlers get the land.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:36 pm

Coops wrote:The only waves in indo that are worth the hassle and the flight$ over there are pretty fast and advanced.
If you are advanced?
Ulu is still a classic wave that an intermediate surfer could have a crack at on a small day. Quite a few point breaks in Java. Beach breaks up from Legian can get really good. In fact I can think of a pile that I won't even mention all over the place. Petulance had an adventure going to Lombok. That's still worth heaps for most surfers. Easy to write it off if you've done it 30 times before.

Could you score better waves than this if you had time in Australia?
Probably but the thing with Indo generally is it gets consistent swell and its a challenge. Something we don't get here.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Bobby Dazzler
Local

Post by Bobby Dazzler » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:15 pm

you're a romantic soul matt. but i think she's trying to buy me off...there is (yet another) trip coming up to to see her family in suburban ontario. it makes raymond terrace seem like paris in the 20s.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:16 pm

Beanpole wrote: Ulu is still a classic wave that an intermediate surfer could have a crack at on a small day. Quite a few point breaks in Java. Beach breaks up from Legian can get really good. In fact I can think of a pile that I won't even mention all over the place. Petulance had an adventure going to Lombok. That's still worth heaps for most surfers. Easy to write it off if you've done it 30 times before.

Could you score better waves than this if you had time in Australia?
Probably but the thing with Indo generally is it gets consistent swell and its a challenge. Something we don't get here.
I, uhm, have been out to Ulus a few times when it was a mellow 1-2ft at high tide. Not that I did the wave any justice.

Lombok was a great adventure the first time. Now it feels like a second home ... flight to Denpasar then jump on a connecting flight to Praya. Once in Lombok, take a taxi to Kuta / Gerupuk. Easy peasey. Some of the locals in the village remember me from my previous visits.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:56 pm

Bobby Dazzler wrote:you're a romantic soul matt. but i think she's trying to buy me off...there is (yet another) trip coming up to to see her family in suburban ontario. it makes raymond terrace seem like paris in the 20s.
Lots of nice places in Ontario. Just stay away from the inner Toronto hovels.

Edit. Or Hamilton. :-o :-o :-o
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:32 am

petulance wrote: Lombok was a great adventure the first time. Now it feels like a second home ... flight to Denpasar then jump on a connecting flight to Praya. Once in Lombok, take a taxi to Kuta / Gerupuk. Easy peasey. Some of the locals in the village remember me from my previous visits.
Lombok is an easy set up compared to the rat race of mainstream Bali, and the Gerupuk end is a suitable level for you.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:54 am

otway1949 wrote: Lombok is an easy set up compared to the rat race of mainstream Bali, and the Gerupuk end is a suitable level for you.
Exactly. The breaks at Gerupuk suit me to a tee.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:07 am

Internal flights not very popular after recent events. We enjoyed the Ferry when we went over twenty years ago.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:13 am

Beanpole wrote:Internal flights not very popular after recent events. We enjoyed the Ferry when we went over twenty years ago.
I flew Lion Air a few weeks after one of their flights overshot the runway at Denpasar and ended up in the water.

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:29 am

geez seals v indo - are we comparing apples with apples?

if you get some nice accomodation, a trip to seals in autumn would be hard to beat...you get waves, you both have a good holiday...hard to beat an uncrowded 2-3ft offshore aussie beachie, no evils/distractions to imperil your life and/or relationship, all the first world privileges

indo is a challenge - 3rd world countries dont equate to 'holiday' for mine. consistency sure, so what you gonna do when its consistently tiple overhead? are you prepared to step it up or will you get sucked into the vortex? the rewards are there for the truly committed but the day to day everything zaps your energy

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:42 pm

I rekon I have the lamest excuse for not going to indo, I'm allergic to mosquitos. One bite and I swell up like a, well like an indo reef.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:41 pm

steve shearer wrote:Save your dough and go to Seal Rocks
Very sensible. Hope for a N swell, longish mellow right hander if you look in the right place.

Say g'day to Drew at the pacific palms bowlo for me... Oh and if you go there on a Monday night pack a set of darts. Best fun you can have for a tenner.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Indo or seals rocks, is this a joke?

Go book the damn tickets right now, even if you don't get wet your going to be a winner, Indo isn't just about waves its about the adventure, the people, the culture, the landscape, the food, that hot humid smell of kretek cigarettes, even when shit goes wrong in Indo those memories will one day seem like good times.

But get out of Kuta, get away from the bukit don't get trapped, better still get out of Bali, head to Lombok plenty of fun waves for average surfers there.

Then come back and spend a long weekend up at seals rocks, that shit you can do any time.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:52 pm

Tell Indo he's dreamin'
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:24 am

Drop in at Blueys to see KKK.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:46 pm

A few 6 foot Bali breaks are easier than 6 foot sand breaks, stop being a pussy and book the holiday and just make sure you get a surf guide who will look after you. Seal Rocks, blimey, same price as Bali, more chance of being eaten by a shark or hit by an Eastern Suburbs house wife in a way big Porshe 4WD. Saying that a decent swell at South Boomerang would be good for a kneelo on those punchy inner banks.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:22 pm

Had a big day at the North End years ago when I stayed with a few friends at the resorty thing on the way in. Good fun and there was more or less just a couple of us and a few locals but it wasn't Ulu.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?