Ad agency creatives lurve surfing

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bomboraa
regular

Ad agency creatives lurve surfing

Post by bomboraa » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:25 pm

Mainstreaming of surfing continues exponentially. The number of TV ads featuring surfing or which include a surfboard has become just ridiculous.
Just saw two ads back to back exploiting it; for RAV4 cars and LightnEasy weight loss crud. Oh yeah, the RAV4 ad used a hypto, and forty buck el cheapo spring suits.
Add to the list.........

Wubic Pig
Harry the Hat

Re: Ad agency creatives lurve surfing

Post by Wubic Pig » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:55 pm

Studies have shown that regularly drinking Merkin brand (TM) coffee can improve your surfing by up to 13.75%
Beanpole wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:44 pm
You have nothing I want or need.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:12 pm

Wubic Pig wrote:Studies have shown that regularly drinking Merkin brand (TM) coffee can improve your surfing by up to 13.75%

The one simple tip surf schools don't want you to know!

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:44 pm

I'm old enough to remember when surfing was the domain of drug users & other ne'er-do-wells. Sometimes I even fondly recall the days of paddling out on the Manly strip through slicks of untreated sewerage, pre-ocean outfall.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Ah, memories. I like the banking one where the guy complains about not being able to go up the coast to see his rels while gazing at his Rabbidge Mal.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:01 am

Ringmaster wrote: '...authorised' to promote a product/service using surfing as a theme for the marketing campaign...
Great lateral thinking, especially for this early in the morning. A most excellent idea Ringmaster. Charge a million $ a second, all proceeds to charity.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:04 am

Not just drug taking bad boys. Back in the seventies they were demonised as dole bludgers too! (Still are in Many eastern most coastal enclaves but that is to mask the profitable income streams the unemployed generate from smokable farm products sold to the happy backpackers)
Question then: What sort of advertised products would be most synonymous with current surf culture? For example Kelly Slater promoting hair replacement therapy?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:33 pm

Subway, KFC, Volvo, BBQ's Galore. Volvo was the best. Chick surfer. Real gloomy, arty commercial. Surf looked shithouse.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:50 pm

Plus Aldi and one of the insurance companies.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:12 pm

Well Occy could have easily been a great frontman for KFC (Kurnell Fried Chicken) in his 'lost' period before becoming world champ but what about todays champ Medina. What product should he be most appropriately spruiking (apart from Samsung Galaxy phones)

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
bomboraa wrote:Mainstreaming of surfing continues exponentially. The number of TV ads featuring surfing or which include a surfboard has become just ridiculous.
Just saw two ads back to back exploiting it; for RAV4 cars and LightnEasy weight loss crud. Oh yeah, the RAV4 ad used a hypto, and forty buck el cheapo spring suits.
Add to the list.........
So what?

Are you suggesting that to be 'authorised' to promote a product/service using surfing as a theme for the marketing campaign that you somehow have to be 'the real deal' surf wise?

What's the pass mark?

What are your surfing 'credentials' :lol:
You missed the point, which was very simply to get a list going of how many products now utilise surfing as part of the construction of their image and the spruiking for their targeted consumer. It's a good reflection of surfing's continual mutation, which fascinates me, and, I was hoping, others.
Yes I'll happily admit I do miss some, but not all, of what surfing was when I started 41 years ago. A long surfing life gives you no privileges, just scars and melanomas. And some nice memories.
Oh yeah, to add to the list, a mutual benefit retirement fund :-D-:

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:28 am

Didn't Andy Irons advertise Cuban cigars? Perhaps Lindy could get a gig with a bra company or do the Abbertons have that market stitched up with a 'My Boobies keeper' line of ladies undergarments?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:57 am

Most of the boards don't have wax on them as they run out to the surf

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:41 pm

Most of you are forgetting (and it is not memorable) Tony promoting his way cool macho man surf dude relevance.
Wipeout imminent >><<
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:36 pm

I remember the marketing campaign for the "surf shake"......which was basically a standard milkshake , with double icecream , in the metal container with a glass provided.....flavour and malt optional. The add had blanket TV and radio coverage , with a catchy jingle.........it wasn't a brand though , cause you could get one in any milk bar......fark knows for payed for the advertising......maybe the milk companies ?.......around the same time of the Pipeline Pete iceblocks.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:16 pm

David Carson?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

philw
Local

Post by philw » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:00 am

Newsflash - surfing is marketing. And it's as mainstream as breakfast TV.

It's more surprising that the surf brands are so bad at marketing themselves. It's all identical lifestyle fantasy based around barely recognisable sponsored pros. That goes for everything from the the thug life bro deal wannabes to the accoustic mong-bean hipster throw-ups to the sportswear for shopping malls mega brands, who aren't so mega any more.

No wonder Hollister found it easy.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:49 am

philw wrote:
No wonder Hollister found it easy.
....to do what ?.....burn the the Ranch ?