Pipe Masters

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Narra Kook
Grommet

Pipe Masters

Post by Narra Kook » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:52 am

Medina's to lose, which could happen.
Question: Is it a disadvantage to be a goofy footer at Pipe? Goofy footers have not won there in a while. It seems backhand with an armbar grip on the board provides a stable three-point platform. Is this impossisible riding frontside? I know goofy footers have won in the past, TC comes to mind. However, has surfing changed since then making it a disadvantage? Speaking of TC, he's surfing in the heritage heat. Anyone know when it's scheduled. Is NC over there coaching him? Why isn't NC posting?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Re: Pipe Masters

Post by foamy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Nick is taking a break from posting on Realsurf.
I don't think they have decided when the Heritage heat will run. They play it by ear.

Backhand on the Pipeline does not seem to be a disadvantage.
Though the right, Backdoor, they reckon is very difficult on the backhand.
So overall, it doesn't seem like an advantage to be goofy at Pipe.
It would also depend a bit on swell angle and conditions.
There are more regular footers which would also be a big factor in their relative success.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:17 pm

A couple of years ago on Stab, Bruce Irons did a detailed instruction on backhand tube riding. It is worth a read.

http://stabmag.com/the-plain-truth-abou ... uce-irons/

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:08 pm

You can get deeper on your backhand. No question.

There's enough north in these two swells coming to suggest backdoor will be pumping.

The pipe masters will be a pretty epic showdown. Dusty Payne might win it the way he's surfing. Whoever gets him in round three will be dreading it.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:47 pm

Yep, I will be tuning in tomorrow early as there is a building swell.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:06 pm

Just had a look at the promo for this event and there is a link to watch all of Medina's performances from the mobile phone company that is the primary sponsor this year. I thought I would start at the start and watched his 'win' against Parko at Snapper to kick off the year. Please tell me that this whole thing is not being set up for his star to shine this year. He's undoubtedly a very talented surfer but that Snapper final was a total bullshit result served up by the judges to the sponsors to market their iphone alternative product to a much bigger market than little old Australia.

Narra Kook
Grommet

Post by Narra Kook » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:22 am

From the Vans Triple Crown Website:
The 2014 Title race scenarios are now as follows:

- If Medina finishes 2nd or better at the Billabong Pipe Masters, he will clinch the 2014 ASP World Title.

- If Medina finishes 3rd at the Billabong Pipe Masters, Fanning will need to win the event and Slater will be out of contention.

- If Medina finishes 5th at the Billabong Pipe Masters, Fanning will need to win the event and Slater will be out of contention.

- If Medina finishes 9th at the Billabong Pipe Masters, Fanning will need to finish 2nd or better and Slater will be out of contention.

-If Medina finishes 13th or 25th at the Billabong Pipe Masters, Fanning will need to finish 3rd to win or 5th to send the title race into a one-heat “surf-off” between himself and Medina.

- If Medina finishes 13th or 25th at the Billabong Pipe Masters, Slater will need to win the event.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:08 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:08 am

I like watching Medina surf. He is still only 20 and his style is still a bit raw. Growing up, looking to hit one huge manoeuvre in crappy Brazilian beachbreak closeouts does not naturally make for a smooth stylist. But, his surfing is growing. He did some full rail cutbacks at Cloudbreak this year that were like Parko's, but faster.

This 3 min Medina in Tahiti video starts with some free surf stuff at Teahupoo. In left barrels, he can style it as well as anyone.

http://www.mysurf.tv/categories/exclusi ... to-victory
Last edited by foamy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Narra Kook
Grommet

Post by Narra Kook » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:14 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sxvg0ok6_FI
This footage of the Snapper Rocks comp (3 minutes in) really makes it look like Parko should have won. Last two waves shown of Parko and Medina reveal that Parko's where way better.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:59 am

Thanks for that Mr. Kook. If it were a court case the evidence as they say is compelling 'in extremis'. Dare I suggest that NC might be the only person that might try to justify the judges ESP like spider sense and expertise in giving Medina just enough points to attempt to quantify this as a legit result? It was clear to anyone who has ever stood upright on a surfboard that Parko ripped Snapper a new a-hole with his performance whilst Medina looked pretty ordinary by comparison - and isn't that exactly what a surfing contest is about? Having said all that Medina is just as likely to come out and rip at Pipe! He just never ever deserved that first win at Snapper and if you look at the psychology behind it all I reckon many of the WCT competitors would have thought that the new ASP/Samsung conglomerate was looking for something to shake the status quo from the very outset and Medina was their chosen son.

Elmako
Grommet

Post by Elmako » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:00 am

And the Pipe heritage series:

Sunny Garcia, age 44
Tommy Carroll, age 53
Derek Ho, age 50
Gary Elkerton, age 50

Cant wait to see this heat however they should have put another surfer instead of Sunny at age 44, compared to 50+ surfers... in any case I would love to see Carroll do another Snap on 12 foot pipe right under the hook.

Haven't seen anything from kong in a long time so very keen to see him charge.

yeww

Narra Kook
Grommet

Post by Narra Kook » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:08 am

It should be easier now that TC does not have to ride a 7'06 gun.

Narra Kook
Grommet

Post by Narra Kook » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:11 am

Less hair to get in his eyes too.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:18 am

Someone's gotta do it. NK is NC
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Narra Kook
Grommet

Post by Narra Kook » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Nope. Wrong. I doubt Nick would ever claim to be a kook, and he'd certainly never claim Narra. Plus, he's certainly not in a position to be making hair jokes.

I hope TC puts on a better performance in the heritage heat than Occy did at J-Bay.

Have you guys watched the Red Bull 21 Days surfer profiles? They're quite good. http://www.redbull.com/us/en/surfing/st ... -episode-1

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:04 pm

medina has got through tonnes of suss heats this year. Taj tore him a new one in the semis (or was it quarters) at snapper so he shouldn't have even been in the final. I hope he gets a 25th so charlie can take him back home to the rape dungeon.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:56 pm

Best at Pipe so far, Tom Carroll.
An epic 9.6,
and one of the best ever 5.17s you will see. Just lost his footing after exiting a long double section Pipe barrell. They tend to penalise those last moment hiccups too much sometimes I reckon.