Slater, Greg Webber & Shane Herring

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Natho
barnacle

Re: Slater, Greg Webber & Shane Herring

Post by Natho » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:20 pm

Watch this space to see if Kelly continues his long term agreement with CI (Burton).

Interesting on that forum how people were against the banana board concept, then as soon as GW chimes in people start agreeing with him and saying how great it is.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:53 pm

well for the record I reckon the banana style boards are great, Greg made me one about six years ago, a beautiful round pin, I've ridden the fcuken thing into the ground quite literally, it's creased, been fixed, creased again etc and is currently in the rack awaiting some good waves so I can snap it and force Webber to make me another one.

and re GW going for a bit of PR, I'm not saying it's bad! I mean if you were a shaper and Kelly asked you to make him a board, you would probably tell someone about it. - it does just so happen that he making updated ones now all of a sudden though. Carpe Diem I guess.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:42 pm

Well the people who bag them tend to be the people who can't ride them. They still suit certain surfers in certain conditions but suck for surfers who don't have the skill to ride one.
Mind you Kelly could rip on a broken dunny door. Get Kelly riding one and winning a few comps on one, chuck his signature on it and boom....it will sell like hot cakes. Every kook will suddenly want one.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:48 pm

Natho wrote: Mind you Kelly could rip on a broken dunny door.
True, though I think he prefers tables.
http://youtu.be/XQ4owd3yQ_4

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:45 pm

Natho wrote:Well the people who bag them tend to be the people who can't ride them. They still suit certain surfers in certain conditions but suck for surfers who don't have the skill to ride one.
Mind you Kelly could rip on a broken dunny door. Get Kelly riding one and winning a few comps on one, chuck his signature on it and boom....it will sell like hot cakes. Every kook will suddenly want one.
Not wanting to state the obvious but... #*!
Only a rat can win the rat race.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:52 pm

how old are those pics shep?

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:03 pm

they're stills from a vid on mccoy's site brendo http://www.mccoysurfboards.com/mccoy-ph ... coy-design - middle row first one. @ 2.40 and 3.50 (no idea when they were taken, sorry)

edit: steve's pics are from different vid actually. probably on the same page though
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:13 pm

GSTQ, probably not questions with simple answers.
But briefly, what is the board design situation in Wales and in GB? Do people ride a lot of locally shaped boards? Is there a locally popular general purpose board style?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:41 pm

Banana boards: the genesis of the Mal revival.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:24 pm

foamy wrote:GSTQ, probably not questions with simple answers.
But briefly, what is the board design situation in Wales and in GB? Do people ride a lot of locally shaped boards? Is there a locally popular general purpose board style?
it's a mix really foamy. there's a few local manufacturers who turn out decent boards - nothing earth shattering design-wise but well put together. merricks, rustys, losts, firewires etc are all easily available online and there's a couple of places like Down the Line in Cornwall who do own account imports of more esoteric stuff like McCoy, DVS, Christenson, Ryan Lovelace etc.

there's typically lots of talk on UK forums about supporting your local shaper because they make the boards suited to our conditions blah blah blah but really, most of them just copy what's happening elsewhere. so they'll all have a hypto krypto copy, a sweet potato copy etc etc. and no, there's no one popular board - back in the early '90s maybe when everything came out of a Clark 6'5R but not any more
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:39 pm

Thanks GTSQ, very good response.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:56 pm

no worries.

sorry steve, I hadn't realised the footage was yours
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:21 pm

Far as I can tell GSTQ all the surfing footage on Geoff vids was shot by me in 97/98. Most of it around here and South Straddie. I happily handed it over to someone to help Geoff out. Would've been nice to get a filming/photo credit but c'est la vie.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:03 am

godsavethequeen wrote:
foamy wrote:GSTQ, probably not questions with simple answers.
it's a mix really foamy. there's a few local manufacturers who turn out decent boards - nothing earth shattering design-wise but well put together. merricks, rustys, losts, firewires etc are all easily available online and there's a couple of places like Down the Line in Cornwall who do own account imports of more esoteric stuff like McCoy, DVS, Christenson, Ryan Lovelace etc.

there's typically lots of talk on UK forums about supporting your local shaper because they make the boards suited to our conditions blah blah blah but really, most of them just copy what's happening elsewhere. so they'll all have a hypto krypto copy, a sweet potato copy etc etc. and no, there's no one popular board - back in the early '90s maybe when everything came out of a Clark 6'5R but not any more
I was down the Gower in 2009, and had a look in at JP surfboards. He took the time to show me the shaping room and the designs he was doing at the time knowing that he wasn't going to get a sale. Good bloke - lots of designs being offered and he obviously took pride in his work.

I left thinking that the local guys had some good options available to them. At the time, my wife was studying in Swansea and was keen (and being courted) to stay on for further studies. I was looking at it as a possible future place to settle for a few years.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:25 am

steve shearer wrote:
godsavethequeen wrote:
"In 98 Geoff McCoy started giving me a few boards and they were wonderful surfboards, beautiful. Figure eights all day long. I’d known Cheyne Horan but I’d never known Geoff. Those Nuggets were beautiful surfboards."

Call me an aesthete hipster all you like but McCoy's boards are greatly improved visually with a nice spray and minimalist logos like that one.

this is a Lovelace which looks similar from this angle

compared to the usual McCoy graphic abortion:

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:34 am

Yeah jp has been in the game a long time. He was the glasser at wave graffiti - carwyn williams's old sponsor - then set up on his own when that went tits up
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:22 am

Talking of Lovelace, have you ridden one of his v bowls el Rancho? Are they difficult to surf?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:57 pm

I see less and less McCoys in Sydney. Reckon they have been eaten up by the Hypto monster. How did this become a McCoy thread anyway? Oh you sneaky Mccoy buffs have done it again.......