Get this!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

MrMik
regular

Re: Get this!

Post by MrMik » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:59 pm

Here is a link to a bit of info about air foils. Nothing that amounts to an evidence base, it's all about aerobatics. It might be very different on surfboards.

https://www.flyingfoam.com/content/what ... ld-i-use-0

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:12 pm

Drailed wrote:Yeah post up the correspondence Roy.
Last edited by Roy_Stewart on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:16 pm

"Dear Mr Cox,

Thankyou for your message in response to which I agree to refrain from using G**** M*C**'s name in association with the fin which we are manufacturing.

The name Gull Wing Fin however is in the public domain, just as the term 'Thruster' is ( 'Thruster' is a term coined by Simon Anderson for a particular tri fin configuration for surfboards, and the term is used freely and widely). The fin also resembles a Gull's Wing so it is entirely reasonable for anyone who sees such a shape to describe it thus. Therefore I will continue to refer to my fin as a 'Gull Wing' fin if I choose to do so.

Regarding your statement that the fin which I have designed ( inspired by G****'s fin but significantly different from it) is 'deceptively' similar to his: I object to your use of language which might suggest that deception on my part is involved. You also suggested that what I am doing is 'misleading'. These are ludicrous notions since I have been 100% truthful and honest in all my statements about this fin.

I can also prove that I wrote to G**** on two occasions to let him know what I was doing re. the Gull Wing fin, hoping that he would be pleased to see this rather unpopular but in my opinion worthy genre of fin ( Surfline published an article recently stating that "most surfers swear that they'd never try one') developed and promoted.

G**** must now realise that I am no longer able to publicly give him the credit for the inspiration which his design gave me. In mentioning him I felt that I was doing the polite thing, and that he would be pleased.

The design of my fin is obviously significantly different from G****'s. The reasons for these differences are entirely hydrodynamic.

I suggest that you urge your client to accept my position which has been outlined above. It might be good for yourself to take it further, but I don't think that a legal wrangle would do G****'s health any good, and I am sure that I wish him better fortune than all the lawyers ever born.

Roy Stuart"
Last edited by Roy_Stewart on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:19 pm

"Mr Cox

I must add that I disagree with your statement that my fin is an ' infringing fin' and state absolutely that there has been no 'false representation'. I repeat that everything I have written regarding my fin has been 100% truthful.

The statements in your letter which express G****'s opinion on hydrodynamics are completely irrelevant to your attempt at making a case, and the paragraph which contains those ideas has such appalling grammar that it takes some time to decipher it.

On the topic of hydrodynamics G****'s foil section on his fin has been described by an expert as 'agricultural' which means that it is very poor indeed. Ours uses Eppler's 168 foil which is in the public domain. Only the uninitiated think that a submerged foil can be defined by its planshape. In fact the plan shape ( the view which shows a shape like a seagull's wing) is the least important of many required design elements.

If you feel the need to respond in order to extract more money from Mr M*C** via this futile agenda of his then please get someone who has good English usage skills to edit your writing, as it will save me valuable time and prevent misunderstanding.

Roy Stuart"
Last edited by Roy_Stewart on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:20 pm

"Dear Roy,

Thank you for your emails, your response and agreement not to use G**** M*C**’s name in association with the fin you are manufacturing is noted.

Sam Cox - Lawyer

Hardymans Lawyers

PO Box 429 Torquay, Victoria 3228

31 Niagara Lane, Melbourne, Victoria 3000

0431 433360

http://www.hardymans.com.au
Last edited by Roy_Stewart on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:21 pm

"All Good Sam.

Of course it will be difficult to avoid responding to questions regarding G****'s fin but I won't publish any mention of him or his fin on my site or in other advertising.

Roy"
Last edited by Roy_Stewart on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:24 pm

Enjoy! ^

:D: #*! :-o :-D-:

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:07 am

MrMik wrote:Here is a link to a bit of info about air foils. Nothing that amounts to an evidence base, it's all about aerobatics. It might be very different on surfboards.

https://www.flyingfoam.com/content/what ... ld-i-use-0
Hi Mik,

The key is to have the same Reynolds number for air and water, that way the foils translate. For surfing that means using foils which are used on scale model aircaft rather than full sized ones.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:02 am

What a pack of cnut's. Good on you Roy too many parasites in the surf industry.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:51 am

Stick it to em RS!
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:57 am

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:12 pm

Well no hard feelings on my part, I quite enjoyed the exchange in a twisted sort of way but was a tad bummed that Geoff wasn't stoked on trying the fin. A bit of Goss anyway.

Sam is a surfer I see, maybe he's heard of the thruster?

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Yeah I noticed that also he has studied Indonesian commercial and property law.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:57 pm

Roy , will there ever be a point in your life when you cease to ride on the coat tails of well known surfing identities , in an effort to lift your online persona out of mediocrity ?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:56 am

Lol!

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Roy is not the only one who thinks that BLEF fins are very efficient but hard to manufacture: See this Video starting from 0:24:30 .

DARPA had a play around with bumpy fins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vICFah-aDFY

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:25 pm

Is Roy still alive?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Wubic Pig
Harry the Hat

Post by Wubic Pig » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:29 pm

steve shearer wrote:Is Roy still alive?
Zoo keeper shot him