Surfer dies on the Monrington Peninsula

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Surfer dies on the Monrington Peninsula

Post by Grooter » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:32 am

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/surfe ... zzuc3.html

Poor bloke, Crunchies at Point Leo is a pretty tame wave albeit shallow. Must have cracked his head on the reef or his board.

I've surfed on my own plenty of times, probably should stop doing that
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: Surfer dies on the Monrington Peninsula

Post by Davros » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Not to speculate but 40's the start of heart attack age. Go and get your cholesterol checked, it may shock you.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:35 pm

Having a few months ago suffered a attack of vertigo out in the surf, I can attest that not just heart attacks and head bumps can kill you out there. There's no doubt in my mind that the only thing which saved me was the fact that my leg rope wrapped itself around my wrist as I was thrashing around.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:18 pm

By a vertigo attack do you mean dizziness, a lack of balance etc :?:

Did you get a later diagnosis such as a problem with the inner ear balance organs :?:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:55 pm

chrisb wrote:By a vertigo attack do you mean dizziness, a lack of balance etc :?:

Did you get a later diagnosis such as a problem with the inner ear balance organs :?:
Yep. As in had I been on land, I would not have been able to stand up - or even sit up.
I've never had it before or since. My wife had it a couple of times and yes it's normally an inner ear thing where the fluids thicken up as you get older and don't "slosh" around freely.
But not in my case. Went away within a couple of hours whereas the afflictin described above can takes weeks to clear even with medication.
Seems mine may have been related to a sudden movement of the head and neck. Checks found nothing abnormal (there's an opening for Andy..... :-o ).
I'm very careful how I move my head around these days.
As I said on here at the time, it was about the scariest thing that has ever happened to me - moreso afterwards than while it was happening.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:45 am

Tragic as any unexpected death is, surfing alone is something I'll continue to do. If I had a pre-existing condition, maybe I'd want a mate to be at least slightly vigilant. Generally for most of the places I surf, not being alone doesn't necessarily equate to significantly safer

4 foot plus at low tide, Crunchy Point goes off. Happens about once every 5 years
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:23 pm

Potentially would not have assisted in this particular tragedy, but "Surfing NSW’s free CPR and board rescue course, Surfers Rescue 24/7" has released its training schedule for the rest of this year. Several sessions around Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong.

http://www.surfersrescue247.com/2014/07 ... -schedule/

As an aside, I wonder how many deaths there are in surfing due to surfing itself (hit by a board, hitting the bottom, hold downs) rather than deaths due to unrelated conditions (heart attacks) or people getting into avoidable problems (that guy in Sydney recently).