10 sharkiest waves In Aus

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

JSB
regular

Re: 10 sharkiest waves In Aus

Post by JSB » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Has anyone here surfed Cactus, how are the crowds/sharks/waves ?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:28 am

A happy snap
What's for supper .jpg
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Where was that taken Otway?

Wiztig's and Fisheries Bay look really good, I might have to go on a trip.

xe
regular

Post by xe » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:21 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:yeah there's supposed to be a monster tiger that owns the patch between butterbox and german bank. Re. the burleigh thing it just goes to show how pointless it is to worry. maybe one day, when he's cranky or a bit out of sorts, he may have a go...but in the mean time consider him a sentry, keeping the young punks in line.

I'm actually suprised norffy isn't a noted spot given it's the closest thing to a rivermouth on the nb's (yes I'm aware that broken bay is...)
Ask Darell from Fish Outta Water about this shark 6m+ he wrote it up in the manly daily as 5m so crew would believe him! Quite a few fishos and canoe/kayak brigade seen it.
"I'm just a surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer"
Jack O'Neill

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:51 am

Well Box Head is always good for the jitters.
Had a disorganized surf chase one time that left Bondi via Zetland to Dee Why then on to the Central Coast. Paddled out at 4:30 and it was dark by the time wed caught one wave. Had to paddle in using house lights as reference points. Spooky going out in the rip sometimes. Spooky coming in too unless its midday.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:03 pm

JSB wrote:Where was that taken Otway?

Wiztig's and Fisheries Bay look really good, I might have to go on a trip.
It is local waters for the Otway, but not to worry it's a whale of a tail, southern right here at the bar.
The follow up
Face to face .jpg
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

zumabeach

Post by zumabeach » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:25 pm

In another life - just before leg ropes came in! - I can vividly remember surfing Back Beach at Streaky Bay with three mates and no one else around for miles, as it was back then. It was a hot summer afternoon on a dumpy sort of swell and we all lost our boards and had to swim in. We're all standing on the beach wondering if it's worth paddling back out and a set wave reared up out the back. Outlined in it was the biggest shark you could imagine - definitely a white pointer, a massive thing that could have starred in Jaws. We all but shat ourselves and needless to say didn't go back out. In those days it was all dirt roads and heat and the only sign of "civilisation" at Cactus was a pile of empty baked bean cans and the ashes of old campfires. Being young, stupid and often drunk back then, I have fuzzy memories of us sitting on a cliff somewhere west of Port Lincoln and taking pot shots with a 22 at numerous sharks in the water below. Needless to say we didn't hit any of them. Idiots.

Sharks seemed to be part of South Australian surfing back then. Another time my brother and I were surfing the beach breaks between Goolwa and good old dribbleton Middleton on a pretty average day with no one else around. We're sitting out there and I look over at him and see a fin coming through the water straight up behind him. I yelled out and he pulled his legs up on his board. The fin - it wasn't huge but it was a shark for sure - did an immediate 180 degree turn and headed back out to sea before disappearing. Don't know who was more shocked - my brother or the shark.

Still, I also had my best "fishy" encounter just along at the coast at Middleton where I was riding along on one of its dribbly waves that seemed to go for miles when I look down and there's this fishy flash next to my board and then another one. Again, I all but shat myself but It was a pod of dolphins and they hung around for half an hour or so catching waves with us and giving me at least one of my best times in 50 plus years of getting beaten up by the ocean.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:21 pm

Good one! I was in my teens minding a station on the coast around there and had high point of my life bodybashing back and forth with a dolphin porpoise!
zumabeach wrote:In another life - just before leg ropes came in! - I can vividly remember surfing Back Beach at Streaky Bay with three mates and no one else around for miles, as it was back then. It was a hot summer afternoon on a dumpy sort of swell and we all lost our boards and had to swim in. We're all standing on the beach wondering if it's worth paddling back out and a set wave reared up out the back. Outlined in it was the biggest shark you could imagine - definitely a white pointer, a massive thing that could have starred in Jaws. We all but shat ourselves and needless to say didn't go back out. In those days it was all dirt roads and heat and the only sign of "civilisation" at Cactus was a pile of empty baked bean cans and the ashes of old campfires. Being young, stupid and often drunk back then, I have fuzzy memories of us sitting on a cliff somewhere west of Port Lincoln and taking pot shots with a 22 at numerous sharks in the water below. Needless to say we didn't hit any of them. Idiots.

Sharks seemed to be part of South Australian surfing back then. Another time my brother and I were surfing the beach breaks between Goolwa and good old dribbleton Middleton on a pretty average day with no one else around. We're sitting out there and I look over at him and see a fin coming through the water straight up behind him. I yelled out and he pulled his legs up on his board. The fin - it wasn't huge but it was a shark for sure - did an immediate 180 degree turn and headed back out to sea before disappearing. Don't know who was more shocked - my brother or the shark.

Still, I also had my best "fishy" encounter just along at the coast at Middleton where I was riding along on one of its dribbly waves that seemed to go for miles when I look down and there's this fishy flash next to my board and then another one. Again, I all but shat myself but It was a pod of dolphins and they hung around for half an hour or so catching waves with us and giving me at least one of my best times in 50 plus years of getting beaten up by the ocean.

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:42 pm

Will be surfing Wiztig's, cactus or fisheries tomorrow, hope I won't have any stories like these for u guys. :shock:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:11 pm

Barnett continues to present as an A grade arrogant red neck.
Its never the parents or other surfers calling for mass culling. Its a bunch
of w*nkers who don't go to the beach very often.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:23 pm

Biggest wanker of all time.

If any of you have ever voted liberal...

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:31 pm

This looked sharky.
Attachments
image.jpg

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:40 pm

Jesus fong. Whats wrong with you?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:56 pm

He paddles like a gimp
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:57 pm

Surfed caves recently and wouldnt like to do a solo session there. Did a solo session on the left into the bay, hell sharky. Dont know why i surfed it i just had too. Will never surf that left agian
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:44 pm

diggerdickson wrote:Surfed caves recently and wouldnt like to do a solo session there. Did a solo session on the left into the bay, hell sharky. Dont know why i surfed it i just had too. Will never surf that left agian
Outside Castles? That's where Sharkbait got hit.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

cedric
Grommet

Post by cedric » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:45 pm

About 10ks West of caves,early morn overcast two of us out, shitscared and i lasted 10 mins my mate surfed solo for an 1 hr not for me far to eerie.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:29 pm

Yer thats it. No one on it so went for a paddle. The rip took you to the middle of the bay :(. Great wave though, powerful.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".