10 sharkiest waves In Aus

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

pinhead
barnacle

Re: 10 sharkiest waves In Aus

Post by pinhead » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:14 am

cycd wrote:Surely the Ellensbrook to Gracetown stretch would have to bethe top in Aus now.
Reunion island on the other side of the Indian has seen a similar ramp up in attacks over the same time period as WA.

One theory being advanced is that the recent extended la Nina changed currents and schooling patterns in the Indian ocean. This sent bigger predators into search mode.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:06 pm

cycd wrote:Surely the Ellensbrook to Gracetown stretch would have to bethe top in Aus now ... i would count Blacks, Cactus some other Eyre peninsula waves and south coast WA as the spookiest gut feeling waves when in the water.
Just got a photo sent from a mate back home who had another mate night fishing off the beach in Dunsborough and hauled in a 8 foot bronze whaler, which got chomped in half just behind the fin, I'm guessing by a white. I'll see if I can post from a computer tomorrow.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:06 pm

1. Fairy Bower
2. Fairy Bower
3. Fairy Bower
4. Fairy Bower
5. Fairy Bower
6. Fairy Bower
7. Fairy Bower
8. Fairy Bower
9. Fairy Bower
10. Fairy Bower

Especially in any swell with east in it
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:49 pm

For me its Bungan Beach in Sydney. I have only ever had two encounters with a shark while surfing and both were at that beach.

Outside of surfing its Newport Reef while spear fishing off the tip years ago. Plenty of friendly Bronzies hang around there in close.

I still think the sharkiest beaches are probably the beaches where you don't see any. Its the fu^kas you don't see that you gotta worry about.

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:37 am

The only place I ever see sharks is off long reef but they're only bronzies usually.
I've always wanted to surf in south oz but i'd be shitting myself too much to enjoy it if even managed to paddle out.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:07 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Legion wrote:
channels wrote:Just got a photo sent from a mate back home who had another mate night fishing off the beach in Dunsborough and hauled in a 8 foot bronze whaler, which got chomped in half just behind the fin, I'm guessing by a white. I'll see if I can post from a computer tomorrow.
It was in the local paper yesterday.
Yep, this is the one I was talking about

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cc0_1386335433

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:1. Fairy Bower
2. Fairy Bower
3. Fairy Bower
4. Fairy Bower
5. Fairy Bower
6. Fairy Bower
7. Fairy Bower
8. Fairy Bower
9. Fairy Bower
10. Fairy Bower

Especially in any swell with east in it
Are you trying to clear the water Cap'n?
Never felt sharky to me.
Paddling across from the pool though. :shock:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

tonka79
regular

Post by tonka79 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:59 am

fongss wrote:http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-1 ... cy/5147288
Only drama I have with culling is the fillets shouldn't b wasted :idea:
Have a read of this fong and let me know if you still thing culling is a sensible way to go.
http://www.swellnet.com/news/surfpoliti ... rk-attacks

tonka79
regular

Post by tonka79 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:04 pm

fongss wrote:. ....the whole idea of "kill zones" is both just and right :!:
S.a needs follow suit...and qld

If great whites were found wondering around the super market car parks they would b shot on sight :idea:

We have to protect the surfers.....its our ocean and anything thats dangerous to a surfer should b removed post haste #*!
TOTY material right there.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:09 am

fongss wrote:We have to protect the surfers.....its our ocean and anything thats dangerous to a surfer should b removed post haste #*!
Is that why you moved to the Sunny Coast, to get away from waves?

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:17 pm

alakaboo wrote:
fongss wrote:We have to protect the surfers.....its our ocean and anything thats dangerous to a surfer should b removed post haste #*!
Is that why you moved to the Sunny Coast, to get away from waves?
:D 3-) #*!

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:32 pm

There's three super sharky places on the northern beaches: North Head, off the back of Long Reef to outside Narrabeen, and Bangalley to Barrenjoey

But they're all well offshore and not in surf zones so you don't see what's out there.

When you paddle frequently down those lines you see all kinds of things. I don't go out to Nth Head but hear a lot from the Manly slsc ski squad. Outside Long Reef and just north is alive with everything. There's a reef zone about 4ks off Nth Narrabeen down toward outside Warriewood where you see a shark almost every time you pass through it. Bangalley (Avalon to Whaley) is dark water and you don't want to stop long there. Barrenjoey, hell I am sure everyone has heard stories of the big whites and tigers that cruise there at different times of year, what's fascinating is that they never go anyone, despite being regularly seen -- one big white has even cruised into the rip at Kiddies Corner for gods sake.

Bungan where natho has seen sharks has an extremely deep water canyon leading in toward Rockpools from a couple of k's out; during heavy swells you'll see the rip-line where moving water is pushed against the wall of the canyon and swirls to the surface. Sharks must move up that canyon all the time.

I think the east coast surf community can count itself lucky that the migrant shark populations along this coast don't seem to be anywhere near as aggro as those in the west. Because otherwise there'd have been a lot more dead surfers by now.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Caught a nice sized hammerhead last week in Pittwater while chasing some good sized kings in one of the bays. The thing just cruised up nice and casual on the surface and scoffed a live slimey.
Obviously I let it go as you should. Hammerheads are pretty harmless in my opinion, unless you stick your arm down its pie hole.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:21 pm

That's interesting re the canyon off Bungan. Explains the encounter a local spear fisherman had a few years ago off Rockies with a Mako. He was carrying it up the beach. He said it started turning on him after attacking his float line so he had no choice but to put a power head through it.Normally they are a deep water fish I think. The bloke took it home to cook up.

The last encounter I had at Bungan ( when I say encounter the shark was not interested in me) was in the flats of the rip in the middle of the beach. There was a school of bait fish jumping and this shark was just going nuts ripping through them.I would call it a good size too.

It was funny watching Paul Wayland paddle right up through the rip with no idea what had just been going on. The thing had taken off by then lucky for him.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:40 am

Dunno if it is still there, but for at least 10 years there was a BIG tiger shark that lived at Burleigh.
It used to follow the clubbies as they did their swim back from Talle Ck, anyone that surfed there would've seen it at least once.
Did I mention it was big? Toyota Hiace big

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:16 am

Yeah the tiger is still there from time to time. Hangs out at Talle river mouth.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism