Winter Guns... Wherefore art thou ..?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Winter Guns... Wherefore art thou ..?

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:54 pm

el rancho wrote:nice trev.
I've had it a couple of years or so now - since Fong went off to the NT to work. I bought it off him when he came back.
Absolutely perfect for really big clean SE swell at my local.
But when it's like that I'm outside my comfort zone these days. Probably had two really good sessions on it but WOW. So worth it.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:56 pm

el rancho wrote:thick as fuck, and down rail all the way

had a few sessions there last couple weeks, maybe a bit over head high, it's a wild take-off at the moment, backwashy and big heaving sections.
actually I took my longboard down there this morning, the waves were sort of fun, probably good by california standards. anyways, this huge pack of baitfish makes its way from up the beach, south to the causeway, gannets dive-bombing and seagulls flying everywhere. Eventually I find myself floating directly above this huge school the size of a basketball court, all I can see is a black writhing mass below me, the fish aren't even noticing I'm there. I caught a wave directly over the pack, cutting a path through the scattering gulls.

eventually I trek back up to my car and this guy and his son stop me and ask how it was. he then tells me his son was bodysurfing on dusk around the corner at dreamtime yesterday and they saw a tiger shark.
:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah, the causeway is a creepy fkked up place. cnt of a rip, and hard to peg yourself, but great once you rope into it. dreamtime beach? sharks, absolutely.. have seen them there. not big thank fk, just a couple of smaller bronzeys.

>> Nice gun Trev... what are the dims?
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Hatchnam wrote: >> Nice gun Trev... what are the dims?
Big.

8'6" from bow to stern.
Have to pull it down to check width and thickness. But it floats this bloated body nicely. :oops:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:02 pm

a bloke got chomped at dreamtime only a few years ago, he lived though.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:05 pm

funny this thread, just at the same time I just decided to get Parmenter to make me a paddle/surf board

12' single fin, paddles as quick as a racing board, awesome for deep bombie reef waves

Just feel like it would be insane to comb the bombies off Long Reef, Newport, Avalon etc on large winter swells

www.nowtro.com have a look

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:26 pm

damm that got me drooling.

There's an Aleutian Juice for sale in a shop in Byron, actually one of Jeff Hakmans old boards, looks like some kind of Vector shape.
seven six with an outline, foil and rail profile that is totally unique and screams complete domination of eight foot point surf.

they want seven hundred for it and it's pretty beat up, in that way that well made Hawaiian surfboards get when they are about halfway through their life span. A lot of surfs still in it though.

damm, I want that board.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:06 pm

This is a not quite on topic, but just something I remember that I found interesting..
Derek Hynd was being interviewed and he was talking about JBay.
I think it was in the nineties.
Derek said something like, 'Jeff Hakman turned up. His board was tragic, but sure, he trimmed beautifully.'
I assumed that Derek was saying that Jeff was still sadly riding some 70's board.
The 'trimmed beautifully' comment, which you don't hear anymore, does give a hint on how to ride the old single fins.
And the 'tragic' description is fun when you consider the board design direction that Derek has pursued more recently.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:07 pm

its on my wall :P

cheers huie
Attachments
SAM_2227 (600 x 419).jpg

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:46 pm

steve shearer wrote:damm that got me drooling.

There's an Aleutian Juice for sale in a shop in Byron, actually one of Jeff Hakmans old boards, looks like some kind of Vector shape.
seven six with an outline, foil and rail profile that is totally unique and screams complete domination of eight foot point surf.

they want seven hundred for it and it's pretty beat up, in that way that well made Hawaiian surfboards get when they are about halfway through their life span. A lot of surfs still in it though.

damm, I want that board.
Parmenter's the real deal, you oughta get one, it'll be a lifetime board

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:14 pm

I'm sure my wife would understand that perfectly.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:24 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:32 am

Trev wrote:
Big.

8'6" from bow to stern.
Have to pull it down to check width and thickness. But it floats this bloated body nicely. :oops:
Sorry, it's 8'10" and 22" wide. No thickness shown but I reckon it's 3".
Beanpole

Skipper

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:09 pm

steve shearer wrote:love a baby swallow.

I need one in the quiv.
recent infatuation?

didn't show much interest in the webber i was selling a few years back
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Trev wrote:
Trev wrote:
Big.

8'6" from bow to stern.
I like the board, but probably not what i'd go for - for a winter gun. the 22" width and rounder-tail end looks a little 'corky and concerning' from a control perspective at higher-speeds. reckon it'd be great somewhere like BIG wategos thru pass, sitting Way the FK out the back and wategos, stroking in early into some giant marshmallow rolling peaks, big rounded out figure 8's and then all the way through for the ultimate crowd controller thru the pass, like a big beefy B-double truck .... i can see why you'd love that board at out Big Moffats.
andy2476 wrote:
steve shearer wrote:love a baby swallow.
I need one in the quiv.
recent infatuation?
didn't show much interest in the webber i was selling a few years back
i remember seeing the pic of that board. it WAS very nice looking, and had a good and fair price tag on it from memory. It looked like a Great all-round board for the 6-8 foot range, anywhere. At the time i had my finger on trigger about to buy it, but after the initial excitement subsided i sensibly opted out, having a board already well covered for that range.
Sniff wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:52 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Trev wrote:
Trev wrote:
Big.

8'6" from bow to stern.
I like the board, but probably not what i'd go for - for a winter gun. the 22" width and rounder-tail end looks a little 'corky and concerning' from a control perspective at higher-speeds. reckon it'd be great somewhere like BIG wategos thru pass, sitting Way the FK out the back and wategos, stroking in early into some giant marshmallow rolling peaks, big rounded out figure 8's and then all the way through for the ultimate crowd controller thru the pass, like a big beefy B-double truck .... i can see why you'd love that board at out Big Moffats.
The things I like about it are firstly, it can paddle into anything and make the drop (lots of rocker) and secondly, its speed. Goes like the clappers through the faster inside sections at Moffs. Yet, if I stand hard on my back leg and lean, it just turns. Turns way faster than I can normally handle.
Beanpole

Skipper

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:54 pm

you missed out BIG TIME. Not easy to get a genuine hand shaped webber these days
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Yeah I know. Should've just bought it. Webbers boards rock. Loved his older-gen/sleeker afterburner. They were a cracking allrounder shortboard. Hi-perf mostly but still forgiving
Sniff wrote:

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Not a gun, but the biggest board I got. I'm no big wave fiend. Just my winter board when it's a bit bigger, windy and chunky.

6'6 x 19 x 2 1/2

Plenty of foam throughout and a thick stringer. Easy paddler. Gets in nice and early.