Fiji 2014

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Fiji 2014

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue May 27, 2014 9:51 am

I note the girls are apparently doing a lot of "cutting" at Cloudbreak today.

What the fcuk is a "cut".

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Fiji 2014

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue May 27, 2014 9:53 am

Dead set they sound like ESPN 8, "El Ocho", from Dodgeball.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Tue May 27, 2014 10:08 am

Invented by the same bloke that uses the term " chandelier" barrel?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue May 27, 2014 11:11 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Tue May 27, 2014 11:30 am

Not much different from half the commentary in previous years though... I had never heard the term 'drop wallet' until the commentary started using the term..

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 27, 2014 1:21 pm

seriously, as soon as I hear Joe banging on it's almost an involuntary reaction to switch it off.

he's a nice bloke but I'm beginning to have a real physical reaction to him.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

unclethirsty
Grommet

Post by unclethirsty » Tue May 27, 2014 6:36 pm

Pity big Daz Eastlake (channel 9 personality) isn't with us anymore, he'd show 'em how its done. Just imagine in a big booming aussie accented voice yelling " Oh Sally's made the drop HACKS it off the top"... RIP Daz. Did you ever hear him call the weight lifting at the Olympics, classic they had to stick him in a soundproof both..so the story goes.

bobjs
Harry the Hat

Post by bobjs » Tue May 27, 2014 8:05 pm

What ever happenned to GT and his interviews.

He used the term 'cream rinse' when someone didn't make it out the barrel. Thought that was a bit special.

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Tue May 27, 2014 10:15 pm

So what happens? The "Cut" guy who has no clue about what's going on ain't leaving any time soon right? Joe seems to be pretty good now compared to him ey, Ross Williams is actually pretty good but skewed radically to a seppo perspective but what happens from here, is pro surfing gone as we knew it? Pottz is pretty good too and Rosy surfs she gets it.
I want the ASP to kill it and for pro surfing to blow up and maybe for that to happen it has gotta appeal to the broader market and that's probably why all the changes are afoot. What I really wanna know is how the surf industry feels about it, are they gonna be happy to wade back in and pick up the bits if it does not work right. Kinda feels like the 80's without the boom and all the cash.
What's the soloution to the problem gents?
Last edited by Shane Peel on Wed May 28, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 28, 2014 7:06 am

they've put the same product out there several times now and the general public, especially Joe sixpack in buttfcuk middle america has had a sniff and turned his nose up at it.

so, adding a few anodyne announcers and blanding down the product presentation seems a case of doing a slightly weaker job of what has already been done. You do what has always been done and you get what has always been got, which is the deafening sound of crickets in middle australia/america.

IMO......they should be taking a leaf out of successful political strategy. To wit: they need to throw heaps of red meat to the fans and get them super fired up. OK, they moved slightly in that direction with J-Bay.....they need another major move in that direction. G-Land in Sep/Oct to break up the second half of the tour would be a shot in the arm.

And they need to look at format. Seriously. Not enough elite performances from the best of the best. Too many mediocre heats.

and they are going to have to tweak the commentary team. Get Blakey/Doherty/Carroll or some other aussies or maybe get some Brazilian or euros in there.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed May 28, 2014 8:17 am

the only possible way they can package a live event to a wider audience is with wavepools, which will turn out to be entirely underwhelming and reinforce pro-surfing's status as lamer than rollerblading

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed May 28, 2014 9:01 am

I'm on board with that merkin. Lets take it further though, and have a whole world tour in bloated and packed surfbreaks. Trestles, Snapper, Pipeline, winkipop, huntington.

The world tour winner might be the guy who's still alive.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed May 28, 2014 9:25 am

Of course compulsory equipment includes a small lance on the nose, sharpened aluminium fins and spiked paddle gloves

Rollerball on surfboards!

That would take 50% market share off UFC no probs.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed May 28, 2014 9:43 am

Hmm I dunno, I think the best events I've ever seen have all hinged around one day.

Giant Bells, final days at Pipe, the Eddies.

Maybe the big WCTs should change format somehow in order to focus on one killer day where the winner emerges from the pack in the nuttiest possible surf - you know, the way F1 does it with cars, the way the big horse races happen, the way the Superbowl happens.

Have a coupla qualifying rounds where someone gains an advantage of some kind, but not a very big advantage. Then blam - one crazy day, all go in, one comes out.

btw I don't reckon they've got a hope in hell of penetrating middle America, wave pools or otherwise, without the majority of top 16 competitors being American. No Americans care about Brazilians or Australians or Europeans, they hate sports that are dominated by other nations.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed May 28, 2014 9:50 am

I have wondered why the 'World Series' of baseball only has amerikans in it.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed May 28, 2014 10:28 am

Braithy wrote:I'm on board with that merkin. Lets take it further though, and have a whole world tour in bloated and packed surfbreaks. Trestles, Snapper, Pipeline, winkipop, huntington.

The world tour winner might be the guy who's still alive.
I'd be backing someone like Raoni or the spartan to win the title then. No more Slater, Mick or Parko.

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Wed May 28, 2014 11:18 am

The field is clearly WAY to big at the events. I have watched and shot a bunch of swells and nearly ALL of them only really have a single day of perfection, actually it's normally 6 hours on the right cycle of the tide depending on the location. I don't want to watch the backmarkers even in perfect surf. 16 is the number I reckon.
The entertainment in the breaks and laydays is dog doo doo considering the archival stash of footage and info the ASP have available, those times should be jam packed with everything from history to interviews to opinion. Pro surfing should be just that PRO surfing and as I am sure most pro surfers would tell you the actual surfing is just a small part of being a Pro Surfer, where are the real BTS breakouts?? I want to know about the surfers and more than just the surfing and to be frank the surf brands have done a much better job of that than the ASP over the years.
The analisis of the performances is flat at best, the rationale behind most of the event decisions is curious unless it's pumping there is little or no after-glow someone usually takes home a hundred grand for chrisakes why not show the effect of that.
History holds the key here Zo-sea go look at history and see where things worked and where they didn't. With the budget and resource that has been made available this "New ASP" should be a no-brainer.