Rocking the BLEF

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Rocking the BLEF

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun May 18, 2014 7:36 am

From shaper Paul Cannon of Napier posted on Facebook, who has a 6.5" Warp Drive Spitfire BLEF RAE102 single fin::

"so mylo my mate i posted those photos of recently.. finally stuck the warp drive fin on his board in the last two day . surfing the rivermouth.. like i really tried hard to get him to try it. but hes a skeptic so it sat in a draw for 3 months. anyway i was hassling and he finally chucked it on . i saw him to day and he was RAVING about it. this is a surfer of 40 years and tried a lot of stuff. Roy told me that the fin he made for me was a bit too small for a mal . but we did it anyway ..so he was tripping on it basically. saying the differences and improvement wasnt subtle. it was obvious . he as asked me to get him a longer version and i am gunna set one of my boards up . comments like having a "turbo". like driving on dirt and then changing to new ashpalt. and it " blew me away ".. So Thanks ROy cant wait to try some other xxxxx from you brother.."

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6739_o.jpg

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Re: Rocking the BLEF

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun May 18, 2014 8:53 am

It's primarily promotion of a product and a design concept, the bottom line is that these fins are a quantum leap ahead of the old Greenough type so don't let the self promotion angle ( which is there obviously) obscure the message. Don't shoot the messenger!

Putting up with a bloke promoting his own stuff for free is a small price to pay for the blast you'll get if you ride the Spitfire BLEF. Don't miss out just because the promotional method 'aint with the kosher vibe...

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Sun May 18, 2014 7:51 pm

Roy, what does he think of Joe Turpel?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun May 18, 2014 10:19 pm

where are these available Roy?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:26 pm

loofy, be quiet you stupid english cunt. The adults are talking.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sun May 18, 2014 11:54 pm

Wot. About a trade union?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon May 19, 2014 4:05 am

steve shearer wrote:where are these available Roy?

Hi Steve,

The single fins are listed here: http://www.roystuart.biz/2014/02/why-ar ... -fins.html

There are also BLEF foiled keel fins, twins, nubsters, and a thruster set will be out shortly.

Also some Bonzers with Futures tabs and improved foiling. http://www.roystuart.biz/2014/05/warp-d ... s-fin.html

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon May 19, 2014 8:28 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon May 19, 2014 8:33 am

i would give one a try, but, not at those prices.

Just my opinion.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Mon May 19, 2014 9:32 am

Roy_Stewart wrote:

Hi Steve,

The single fins are listed here: http://www.roystuart.biz/2014/02/why-ar ... -fins.html

There are also BLEF foiled keel fins, twins, nubsters, and a thruster set will be out shortly.

Also some Bonzers with Futures tabs and improved foiling. http://www.roystuart.biz/2014/05/warp-d ... s-fin.html
Roy - On the Bonzer link, what is chord ratio?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon May 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Legion wrote:I'm interested in the 3D printing. Good idea roy. How's polycarb as a fin material compared to wood? Would be a good idea for savvy consumers who like experimenting with fins. 3D printers aren't too bad nowadays and could pay for themselves in a dozen fin sets, right?
Hi Legion,

The polycarbonate which we are using has a tensile strength in the wood range and a nuch better compressive strength ( it's about equal in compression and tension unlike wood which is weaker in compression).

It's a pretty good material, it's currently the 'holy grail' of materials for many 3d buffs, it requires a heated chamber and ceramic nozzles to print successfully, especially for load bearing structures...about a $100k investment and a fair amount of know how needed to do it, (on the cad drawing side too) so not really a home printer option although it probably will be in the future.

We can dial up custom fins also if you have anything you'd like to try.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon May 19, 2014 4:45 pm

tootr wrote:i would give one a try, but, not at those prices.

Just my opinion.
That's ok, it is a small price to pay to experience the exciting results of 20 years of fin development in my opinion but it's up to the individual obviously.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon May 19, 2014 5:10 pm

channels wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote:

Hi Steve,

Roy - On the Bonzer link, what is chord ratio?
Chord ratio is the thickness of the fin divided by the fore and aft length at any part of the fin. Chord ratio on the standard bonzer 5s is about 5% which is extremely low. The bonzer runner which we are printing have a chord ratio of 7% and a much better foil shape.

We got on to the bonzer runners because a fellow wanted some for futures tabs he uses the smaller pair as side fins in a 2+1 setup on a 9 footer.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sat May 24, 2014 9:35 am

loofy wrote:Roy are the twins out yet, if so can you post a link please. In the market for a set.
Hi Loofy, here's the BLEf spitfire twin just out, picture arranged by Robin aged 7yrs

Battery
Grommet

Post by Battery » Sun May 25, 2014 1:43 am

Roy, has New Zealand's other pioneering fin-maker "Stormpipe fins" had much to say about you cutting into his marketplace?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun May 25, 2014 4:39 am

That's some stinky old bait on the line there Battery!

Pipe and I get along very well, and as far as curved fins go we were doing it long before him or fcs.

Besides, apart from the curved side fin aspect which we are not even doing at present his fins don't resemble mine at all.

Battery
Grommet

Post by Battery » Sun May 25, 2014 10:21 am

I wasn't fishing :wink: just abit of olde fashioned friendly banter... DS informed me yesterday that the Snow.co forum is back in action. BP of course was posting within hours of its resurrection.
Might be time to dust off the boxing gloves.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun May 25, 2014 2:21 pm

That's the best news since world peace!

3-)

Nagging thought.....

<:

Gloves off this time

:-)(