Snaking

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

buzzy
barnacle

Snaking

Post by buzzy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:16 pm

A few weeks ago at my local I was sitting on the inside of a peak and a bloke started paddling to my inside. I paddled a bit more inside and he paddled a bit more inside again. I thought "bugger it, when a wave comes I'll just paddle inside him then." Which I did. I took off on the inside and he dropped in. Of course he fell off in doing so and I had to abandon the wave. He complained I'd snaked him. I confessed to snaking him and said I wouldn't have done it if he hadn't done it to me first. He never agreed with me but I could see in his face he knew he I was right.

So, did I snake him and he deserved it, or did I snake him and do the wrong thing?

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:39 pm

you snaked him. Sounds like he deserved it. Hopefully he paddled away in shame after falling off. Pretty much impossible to get a wave in a crowded peaky beachy without a bit of snaking so snake away I reckon.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:47 pm

The fact that he fell when dropping in has blown away any claim he might of had for legitimacy. Regardless of who is the instigator, the kook is always the loser.
If someone drops in in - the best way to deal with it is to surf around them or push them off. If you drop in on somone, the best way to deal with it is to tear the wave to shreds and then tell your victim "if you knew what you were doing, you wouldve just ridden around me - kook"

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:17 pm

Blocking is always a good tactic that is slightly less blatant than snaking.
Accidentally drift to just inside and when the wave comes, the bloke on the outside cant catch it because you are in the way. When they pull back - the wave is now yours!!

Dolphin63
Grommet

Post by Dolphin63 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:01 pm

Seppos I have known (and Aussies overinfluenced by their culture) seem to use the word "snaking" as a substitute for "dropping in", that is, they didn't really have a word to define what most Aussies call snaking. I always thought this was coz of the American love of winners (at all cost) versus the Australian egalitarian sense of fair play.

To me snaking means unfairly taking the inside.
Anyone correct me on the above?

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:11 pm

Dolphin63 wrote: To me snaking means unfairly taking the inside.
Anyone correct me on the above?
yep - its as you say.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

bro
Local

Post by bro » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:54 pm

He deserved it so don't feel any shame, burn em.
If you have ever surfed the super bank you would know up there there is no inside position everyone burns everyone else. Unfortuantely I started surfing in the civilised years and find it hard to consciously drop in unless

- they pull back then I will go every wave from then on
- they are a bigger kook than me
- a grom/girl/lidder etc

but even then I find it tough. I might try not looking in the future ha ha

craig
regular

Post by craig » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:58 pm

if u are snaked, grab that little snake dangling from the back of the dropper innerer and yank as hard as possible. with any luck you will have wrecked the fugwits zipper......given him a good "wake up to yourself" flush of cold water as he faceplants and you fly on by......
(in summer, rashies are more common but remember theyr'e just a thick colored stocking and a stocking round the neck can work wonders too)
if the snake is wearing only boardies then there is no option but to abort wave and crash tackle......

Dolphin63
Grommet

Post by Dolphin63 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:29 pm

if u are snaked, grab that little snake dangling from the back of the dropper innerer and yank as hard as possible
Craig, you're illustrating my point that some people have the misconception that snaking is the same as dropping in.

For most Australians who I know, snaking is NOT the same as dropping in - more subtle - but too subtle for some to comprehend. All a bit academic in law of the jungle supercrowds, but I avoid those anyway.

Is it fair to drop in on a snake?

Bananabender

Post by Bananabender » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:30 pm

bro wrote:If you have ever surfed the super bank you would know up there there is no inside position everyone burns everyone else.
The superbank is the surfing worlds equivalent to lions, hyenas, wilderbeasts and vultures all feasting on one huge spectacular carcass. Its every creature for him/herself and any semblance of etiquette is thrown out the window. I bar the place at all costs. Its pretty pointless if ya not having fun.

prepare
regular

Post by prepare » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:30 pm

my #1 hate is guys who rock off and immediatly sit deeper then everyones and try to take the set waves then get aggro when the guy whos been waiting for it drops in.

moneyman
barnacle

Post by moneyman » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:20 pm

prepare wrote:my #1 hate is guys who rock off and immediatly sit deeper then everyones and try to take the set waves then get aggro when the guy whos been waiting for it drops in.
this is what i did the other week at DY Point First Rock. I rocked off, paddled around and sat deeper but they were all sitting on the shoulder and werent catching anything. In this cae i think its allright to do it because there not even in the take off zone.
Ka ChInG !!!!!

Jessep
Local

Post by Jessep » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:40 pm

[quote="Dolphin63
Is it fair to drop in on a snake?[/quote]

yes definetly

Jessep
Local

Post by Jessep » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:41 pm

prepare wrote:my #1 hate is guys who rock off and immediatly sit deeper then everyones and try to take the set waves then get aggro when the guy whos been waiting for it drops in.
after i rock off i usually let the first ones go so ppl dont get angry at me
unless their all tryin to take off way down the line