sydney surfing

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

moya
regular

sydney surfing

Post by moya » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:12 am

Well, you can all be comforted in the knowledge that there is to be one less surfer in your line ups. I was considering the move to Sydney for work and surf however after spending the past three days here I have come to the conclusion that...

YOU ARE ALL INSANE... nutso... trippers...

The cars on the road, the crowds on the beach, the difficulty in getting a decent body bash without bashing into bodies both on the beach and in the water(bondi) let alone an easy going surf.
Simply driving from said point to said point is exhausting (Northern beaches)and one then has to reverse the process to get home - it really is all consuming.
Im sure you get used to it, but its not something i want to get used to , not right now anyway..
Luv yas all
driving away tomorrow...cheerio
(i can hear the applause in the background from you all already.. "on your bike matey, thats the way...see ya' ) haha

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:48 pm

:roll:

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:23 pm

Last edited by baldric on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

fletch
regular

Post by fletch » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:39 pm

Melbourne, famous for it's water sports options.

bahahaha

I know everytime I plan a safari Melbourne always pops up high on the destination list.

ahh somebody stop me, please.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:19 pm

It gets down to this - If you have to live in a major capital city based on your line of work, then sydney is the only major capital on this side of the planet with half decent waves on a regular basis. No contest
Melbourne - no surf
Adelaide - Ditto
Perth - Ditto
Brisbane - Ditto
Singapore - ditto
Jakarta - Ditto
Kuala Lumpur - Ditto
etc. etc.

Bananabender

Post by Bananabender » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:28 pm

You forgot the Goldy. Its a city larger than Brissy population wise (albeit somewhat seasonal).

As for other international surf cities, San Diego's not half bad. Good climate and some nice waves round those parts too. Granted its full of seppos though.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:38 pm

baldric wrote:
murrum wrote:...If you want a big city - move to Melbourne, no immediate surf, but less crowded quality not far at all. And the city is completely livable.
Melbourne.....now there's surf city for ya....and geez...no Melbournites are up 'emselves eh....and geez they're great drivers too....left lane to turn right, no crunt ever gettin' in the left lane, caravan city....and don't get me started on 'em bein' completely dark on Sydney and their "Opera House/Harbour envy" and the farken hideous attempts to rival it like the entertainment centre and Federation Square abortions....the only good things about Melbourne are:
a) the restaraunts
b) the Hume and Princes Hwys that lead to Sydney

completely liveable?.....nah that's a fargen hoax....completely lamentable is more like it.... :roll: :roll:
Ahhh, the old hook turn Balders. Gotta love that one. Try and explain that to an international visitor !!!!

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:47 pm

in late breaking news: Victoria has officially been re named "Tard-istan" all Tards are to return to Tard-istan for de-education immediately.

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:56 pm

barstardos wrote:It gets down to this - If you have to live in a major capital city based on your line of work, then sydney is the only major capital on this side of the planet with half decent waves on a regular basis. No contest
I suppose it depends on where you live in Sydney though - what's the difference between (a) living in Melbourne and being 1 hour from Torquay or the Mornington Peninsula (depending on which side of town you live) or (b) living an hour of city traffic away from Bondi or Manly?

Dolphin63
Grommet

Post by Dolphin63 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:15 pm

Can think of 5 reasons for a keen surfer to live in Sydney.
1. Your parents do and you're too young to leave
2. Education
3. Work/career
4. Looking for or staying with a partner
5. Your kids' education

If none of the above apply and you are hard core, there are lots of better places to surf.

My opinion is that if you're more than 5 minutes from an everyday break, you're going to miss out. Tryed the Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth options for very brief durations, with the hour drives (2 hour return)to just check it, and it's not for me.

If you do need a city, there's also Wollongong, Newcastle, Geelong, Gold Coast, most NZ cities, several in Sth Afrika, and even more options if you want to speak Spanish, Portuguese or American, or downsize to many island states.

Chonie

Post by Chonie » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:38 pm

Theatre. You forgot the only other good thing about Melb besides the resturants is the theatre. And shopping.
But other than that it's ugly and pretentious.

fletch
regular

Post by fletch » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:19 pm

murrum wrote:eggs-fuggensactly themalben.
what proportion of the 4mil in sydney are within 1 hour of quality, relatively uncrowded waves with a bit of juice. Id hazard a guess at about less than 10% live within 0.5hrs of relatively average crowded beachies that occaisionally turn out classic crowded days - u only have to read some of the other threads on this forum to gauge the angst of the place...
Melb is waaaay more livable, hands down - for a start, public transport works, the motorways arent glorified carparks, heaps of great places to go out, and culture...The place is a veritable petri dish.
The closest thing sydney has to culture is a bunch of scantily clad men and women parading up Oxford street, and the Mardi Gras as well...
The thing is many work close enough that they might take their board to work if conditions are good and do an arvo session (depending on their workplace and travel arrangements of course). Or you do an early and just go straight to the office. I know people who work and live all over sydney that do an early.

Also I think your percentages aren't so great. The density of housing is greater closer to the coast. Sure there are units in the western suburbs but by far the greatest concentration of apartment living happens within 30 minutes of the coast in sydney, without a doubt.

Plus if you're a grom you can easily access the ocean after school, which is what most of us living in sydney did growing up. I'd imagine it would be a challenge to get out on the Peninsula after school unless your parents came home from work to take you or you have a single income family and one parent is happy to drive you. I can't see that happening much. In Sydney there are schools close enough to the surf that surfing is a school sport for many kids. Many groms can go surfing after school and be home before their parents get home from work! Does that happen in Melbourne?

All of this of course is part of the problem, all of this combined with the 2nd fastest growing population in Australia means surfing sydney is a pain on weekends in summer. (In winter during large swells it's actually not much of a problem). But here's the surprising thing that you seem to have overlooked, the coast actually extends beyond sydney! On the weekends we can drive a similiar distance as Phillip Island or Mornington and be surfing uncrowded, great breaks and warmer water than you can from Melbourne. I'm not going to mention where I go but every weekend this summer I've surfed a spot just over an hour from Sydney that had a maximum of 3 people on it when it was most crowded.

As far as culture goes, it's not my style. If I wanted culture I'd be more at home with Byron than Melbourne.

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:47 pm

Last edited by baldric on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:49 pm

Last edited by baldric on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:36 pm

I don't know why everyone whinges about the crowds in Sydney... I reckon it's a hell of a lot easier to get a wave in Sydney then somewhere like the Goldcoast where there is a much larger surfing population.

sure there are places that are always going to be bad...i.e manly, but there are a handful of places on the northern beaches that can be surfed with a small crowd.

personally i am happy to forego quality and go somewhere less favourable but with less people