Which board do you hope to surf tomorrow?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Re: Which board do you hope to surf tomorrow?

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Once again retard. It's not "my theory" it's not "my scale" you absolute fking numpty. It's merely the general colloquial consensus in this country on how waves are measure en-masse. And it's the scale I use because it's the common protocol, and I see little point disputing .

Do I need to repeat this to u again, or are u ok going to be able to breath thru ur nose for a change now?

Oh I get it alright.

So you admit that you found the scale "Odd"

But chose to continue to perpetuate a system that has no basis in logic or science - just because.

Just like flat earthers, or religious nutcases, you follow the crowd & aren't capable of making your own rational choices or decisions, just follow along like a good little sheep :roll:
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:32 pm

What this "as usual" shit. Until now I have never even spoken with u. Just scrolled past ur posts because they're boring for the most.

The only fact is, is that the Aussie wave scale is what it is. And unless u have grown up surfing here living in a bubble then u'd be aware of it.

I'm not arguing anything, but u seem to be too thick to interpret that. For once for all, I'm simply stating that the scale exists.

If u doubt it, then go check it out urself. Look at the reports on either coastal watch or swellnet and when u see them talk about a 6 foot swell, u will soon find out that they mean double overhead +.

Watch the uproar that would take place if either of those site started calling head high waves 6 ft. Again, the general surfing populous here would tear them to threads over it.

Do u think I made the scale up or something? If so, u truly are a mongo.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:27 pm

Man, how slow on the uptake are you today. Did you fall off your skateboard & hit your head or something?

I never said you were the creator of said dick measuring chart.

I asked why do you continue to follow a theory, that is subjective, not objective?

Maybe if enough people used their brains for once, we could you know, use logic and reality so that people could make an accurate judgement as to a waves correct size.

So when you go to Hawaii, do you halve the size again, compared to the "Australian" model?

Do you then quadruple it when you go to California?

Oh, and as to Charlie Sheen, there's two types of people in this world. People who realize Charlie Sheen's genius, and people I'm not talking to anymore." :D :D :D :D

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:03 pm

--++sunstroke++-- wrote:I never said you were the creator of said dick measuring chart. I asked why do you continue to follow a theory, that is subjective, not objective?
i follow it because it's the common protocol. not because i agree with it. and not because i'm a sheep thank u very much "mr edgy social outsider", "mr bitcoin", "mr omnipotent", "mr tin-foil-hat" etc etc etc.. oh god help me :~

i follow it because if it's the commonly referred way of measuring wave heights in this great land down under, then i'll adhere to it as the common method.

resist is futile as far as i'm concerned. if the wave height is commonly referred to as "x" and not "y" then i'll run with "x" right or wrong, because i want no confusion at my end about the prevailing or impending wave heights. i.e: if the report this weekend was for 6-8ft, then time permitting i might be tempted to go on a road-trip 3 hours south, whereas adversely if i made the effort only to find out that it's only headhigh and a bit i'd be bummed that it's only small, and i've had likely packed a gun when a shorty would have done.

again, it's the common language, and if people by-and-large are speaking it as such - then i want to be able interpret what is meant by it.

i'm really not sure i can discuss this with u any further if you've not already got the feel of where i'm coming from with this. your numbnuttery is wearing thin with me to be honest.
Sniff wrote:

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:23 pm

No need to have a crai princess :lol: :lol: :lol:

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Thu May 08, 2014 7:26 am

Hatchnam wrote:Once again retard. It's not "my theory" it's not "my scale" you absolute fking numpty. It's merely the general colloquial consensus in this country on how waves are measure en-masse. And it's the scale I use because it's the common protocol, and I see little point disputing .

Do I need to repeat this to u again, or are u ok going to be able to breath thru ur nose for a change now?
Trev: does this post transgress the forum rules?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu May 08, 2014 8:38 am

It most certainly does. What happened ? Haven't heard from u back in the "racism in surfing" thread. ? U know, the thread where u inadvertently got ur arse handed to u on a plate and proved wrong by say practically everyone ?
Sniff wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu May 08, 2014 8:59 am

Animal_Chin wrote:

Trev: does this post transgress the forum rules?
Probably, but in the interest of maintaining the thread I left it.
I don't like that it's in the General Surf Discussion for all to see either.
But then, I don't think much of people who create signatures which are anatgonistic and offensive either.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu May 08, 2014 9:04 am

:-D-:
Sniff wrote:

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu May 08, 2014 10:01 am

--++sunstroke++-- wrote:I asked why do you continue to follow a theory, that is subjective, not objective?

Maybe if enough people used their brains for once, we could you know, use logic and reality so that people could make an accurate judgement as to a waves correct size.
Which scale for measuring wave height is objective? The 'face height' scale, now widely adopted by Americans and Europeans, is every bit as subjective as the 'surfers feet' scale. First, there's the fact it's a human making the assessment; not so long ago on Swellnet we published a photo of Shipsterns with a surfer on it and asked people to post how big they thought it was. Turned out to be an interesting little experiment 'cos people said everything from 8' to 25' and in both surfers feet and face feet. Where's the objectivity?

And then there's the fact the same wave can be photographed from different vantage points so angles of parallax and lens foreshortening creates false measurements. Which photo is right?

For mine, I reckon the 'surfers feet' scale - or the Iggy scale - is the most logical simply because it is the most understood (here in Australia).

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu May 08, 2014 10:20 am

Your competitors have a wave measurement calibrated into their cameras.
Nobody uses it, however.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu May 08, 2014 10:47 am

Well I like the surfers' feet thing, sure it's not very scientific, but it gives the nod to the emotional impact of wave size, it reflects a surfer's understanding of water movement, and it's also kind of ridiculous to pretend that a wave's any particularly deadly accurate "size" for more than a split second anyway.

I probably also like it because I've used it all my life and I can't think of one time it's caused me any difficulties whatsoever.

And by god it's better than metres. Metres are too big. One metre? Two metres? Three metres? Gaps are too big.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu May 08, 2014 10:56 am

I propose cubits, 2 of which make a yard. So longer than a foot, shorter than a metre. Win win

Iggy scaled, of course
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Thu May 08, 2014 10:57 am

All good tradies measure in millimetres thats what surfers should be striving for imagine rocking up in the car park looks like a few fun ones probably about 1223.5 mm or fark its pumpin i reckon its about 3122mm to the old bloke who reply's fcuk of cnut its only 2110 mm.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu May 08, 2014 11:52 am

Anyone not using the scale is basically a sook
Sniff wrote:

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu May 08, 2014 12:45 pm

rmb wrote:All good tradies measure in millimetres thats what surfers should be striving for imagine rocking up in the car park looks like a few fun ones probably about 1223.5 mm or fark its pumpin i reckon its about 3122mm to the old bloke who reply's fcuk of cnut its only 2110 mm.
For sale, used board, 1905mm long, 508mm wide and 63.5mm thick. Comes with 107.95mm fins and 1981mm leggie.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu May 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Come on Nick. You have been around long enough to know this is a Hawaiian idea that gained traction about the time you and the rest of the burgeoning pro scene started their attack on The North Shore. Rabbit used to use face measurements, McTavish did. Every surfer I knew in Northern NSW did and all the old codgers I bump into do as well.

I've only ever had an odd response if I say it's 3ft and therefore fairly small. That was a young guy in Bali a few years ago who went " wow, overhead."
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Thu May 08, 2014 8:50 pm

Hatchnam wrote:It most certainly does. What happened ? Haven't heard from u back in the "racism in surfing" thread. ? U know, the thread where u inadvertently got ur arse handed to u on a plate and proved wrong by say practically everyone ?
Hi mate. I really don't have an issue with bullies. It just doesn't affect me.

I asked before and you didn't answer, but I am genuinely curious:

How old are you?