Remote car keys

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bumfluff
Owl status

Remote car keys

Post by bumfluff » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:58 am

Just wondering what's the best way to hide remote car keys (with a battery)that obviously can't get wet in your leggie.

Is there any type of plastic seal you can put them in and then put em in your pocket or leggie?

I've always had just straight keys till now.

Any tips for concealing them elsewhere?

PM me with ideas so every theif on the net doesn't find out any tricks.

Thanks

el rancho
Duke Status

Re: Remote car keys

Post by el rancho » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Combination padlock key safe thingy made by far king. Hand it off a tow bar or tow point under the chassis.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Like Matticus said. I've got a regular key cut which just unlocks the door. Pop it in the leggy or on the boardie hoop & away I go. Cost me $10.

Otherwise just pop your electronic one on a wheel or something. Nobody will think to look there.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks fellas, I was going to just get one city to unlock the door but when I lock it manually like that, the central locking doesn't kick in, therefore the rear hatch door doesn't lock and there is no keyhole for it.

So I can't lock the remote key inside the car.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Ok got it sorted.

Lock it with the remote from inside car then go outside and lock it manually. That way the hatch door locks.

I'm open to more ideas though.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:09 pm

Hey Fluffy, welcome back.

What sort of car is it. The "door key" should lock everything, including the hatch.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:10 pm

What I do is centrally lock all the doors with the electronic key & then open the driver's door with the regular one (all the others remain locked), pop the electronic one in the car & then lock it again with the regular one. First time I tried it set off an alarm which I turned off with the electronic key, but it never did that again since. I have no idea why, but it doesn't matter as it works a treat now.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:10 pm

The combination padlock sounds like a good idea.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:13 pm

bumfluff wrote:The combination padlock sounds like a good idea.
One good hit with a hammer will smash it open. :-o
Honestly, the non transponder key is the best way.
I've had one for a Commodore, a Falcon, Liberty, Impreza and my current i30.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Trev's a car guy bumfluff.

He knows what he's talking about so you really should listen to him.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:21 pm

This topic has gone around the clock at least twice in the past few years. Suffice to say that using a standard key is the best idea.

I have tried ziplock bags and the plastic surfpouch that was advertised on this website a couple of years ago (not advertised here any more probably due to failures) but they both leaked.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:29 pm

I recall someone saying in previous threads that if you left your car key in a Far king or similar padlock type key holder then your insurance wouldn't cover you if the car was stolen.
I assume if you left your key somewhere in the car then a thief can open the car and drive away with it and your insurance company wouldn't cover you either.
Reckon the hassle of getting the padlock case open would be more than getting one of the doors open to retreive a key.
Still see guys "hiding" their key around the wheel arches all the time.
Easy pickings for keen eyes.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Still see guys "hiding" their key around the wheel arches all the time.
And don't you just love how they have a quick look around them to survey the scene ... making sure the coast is clear before blatantly bending/kneeling down to secrete the keys ... yeah that'll work every time.

Surfing key Fluffy ... like the Tard-G said. Its easy ... when you're ready to prance down to the sand ... lock the car with the transponder equipped key ... unlock drivers door with "surfing key" ... place transponder key inside vehicle ... lock drivers side door with "surfing key" ... job done.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Womble wrote:
Cuttlefish wrote:Still see guys "hiding" their key around the wheel arches all the time.
And don't you just love how they have a quick look around them to survey the scene ... making sure the coast is clear before blatantly bending/kneeling down to secrete the keys ... yeah that'll work every time.

Surfing key Fluffy ... like the Tard-G said. Its easy ... when you're ready to prance down to the sand ... lock the car with the transponder equipped key ... unlock drivers door with "surfing key" ... place transponder key inside vehicle ... lock drivers side door with "surfing key" ... job done.
My surfing key locks the whole car. Ignition key is already well hidden by then.

And yeah. Those guys "hiding" their keys under the wheel arch are crazy.
Beanpole

Skipper

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Trev wrote: My surfing key locks the whole car. Ignition key is already well hidden by then.
Must be dependent of vehicle make and year ... my old Subaru did that ... on later models its only the drivers door that responds to the "surfing key". Still works though.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Womble wrote:
Trev wrote: My surfing key locks the whole car. Ignition key is already well hidden by then.
Must be dependent of vehicle make and year ... my old Subaru did that ... on later models its only the drivers door that responds to the "surfing key". Still works though.
Worked that way on all my cars listed above, including the current car.
Beanpole

Skipper

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:33 pm

I've seen more sad-sacks stuck in car-parks with silly remote locking keys locked in or fuffed-up, than any other reason.

What you need is an old beater of a car, so non-sophisticated that you can borrow a key from any stranger who pulls up next to you. Hey presto!

Sub-$2000 cars have saved me many many times.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:25 pm

You will need a chest, a padlock, a shovel, some paper and a crayon.

Place the key inside the chest, seal it shut with the padlock. Count out your paces to a discreet area and dig a hole.

Bury the chest into the hole, cover up hole and place non-conspicuous foliage over hole. With the crayon and paper draw a map of where the treasure is.

Go back to your car, place the padlock key inside the treasure map and fold the map up and hide it under your wheel arch.

Then go surfing.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism