Coffs Harbour artificial reef plans in limbo

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

carvin marvin
charger

Coffs Harbour artificial reef plans in limbo

Post by carvin marvin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:09 am

Was watching Grand Designs on the tele last night when I clicked over to NBN news and there was a story about an even grander design, a proposal for a surfing reef on the north side of the boat harbour at Coffs.
Unfortunately the proposal has been rejected because it is too expensive.
Which begs the question if the federal government gives out grants for skateboarders to build hundreds of skateparks all over Australia, the Nimbin skatepark for example cost $270,000, then why won't OUR government give recreational surfing some money.

Here is a link to the news vid.
http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/201 ... -in-limbo/

Beerfan

Re: Coffs Harbour artificial reef plans in limbo

Post by Beerfan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:21 am

Do you really want it?. Instant hero poser locals I'm guessing. If it works as it should.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:54 am

considering the $$$$ that's been wasted recently on lots of rubbish ideas, SURFING INFRASTRUCTURE has been neglected for far too long...make WAVES not WAR!

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:18 am

Multipurpose reefs don't have a good strike rate. Even as coastal protection.
carvin marvin wrote:Unfortunately the proposal has been rejected because it is too expensive.
Which begs the question if the federal government gives out grants for skateboarders to build hundreds of skateparks all over Australia, the Nimbin skatepark for example cost $270,000, then why won't OUR government give recreational surfing some money.
That's at least one order of magnitude less than any 'surfing' reef proposal I've seen. Add 2 zeros and you're in the ballpark for most of them.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:56 am

Surfing fcuken Infrastructure?

That's on the same level as "surf management plan"

Infrastructure and Management - the final triumphs of the Kookocracy.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:07 am

Nick Carroll wrote:Surfing fcuken Infrastructure?

there's a breed of people in this country expert at creating industry/financial gain out of thin air

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:17 am

el rancho wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:Surfing fcuken Infrastructure?

there's a breed of people in this country expert at creating industry/financial gain out of thin air
then getting the common wealth to pay

regular

Post by 8 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:05 pm

They spend money on skate parks to stop skating/grinding/damaging public/private property. Plus the anarchist skaters are notorious for heinous crimes such as loitering and graffiti - make them a nice park and they leave everyone alone.

Surfers generally don't do these evil things so no point making reefs to keep them away....this could be changed though with some affirmative disruptive action by the surf community.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:47 pm

The problem with these is they often build them in the wrong spot so they are ineffective which allows the detractors to point to them and say they are useless. There is/was one in Perth at 'Cables' down near Leighton, problem was it was so too deep and in a fairly protected area so it really only broke on some of the biggest swells so it became a waste of money.

I always wondered had they placed it somewhere between Scarborough and Floreat which was more open to swell but more often than not really poor sandbanks whether it would have been judged a success.

Legion - Can you shed more light on the Cables reef? Still shit?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:57 pm

Yeah look I don't know if it's fcuken dawned on anyone but there's an insane number of unridden waves breaking in Australia all the fcuken time.

They're not exactly a scarce resource except at maybe a dozen or so famous and grossly overcrowded locations. Drive 20 mins from most of those locations and you'll find good waves with a handful of people out.

Drive another 40mins to an hour and surf pretty much by yourself.

That's the reality of it, another reality is that surfing is not exactly a social necessity, I mean why the FCUK would anyone seriously propose that councils and State governments spend millions of dollars rendering an artificial reef when there's people who actually NEED social services, like for fcuk's sake.

As far as Surf Management Plans go, well the day some self-elected Gold Coast Surf Council tries to "manage" me into surfing somewhere is the day said Council's members will be vainly trying to remove an MC deep concave from their prominent arseholes.

Resist this nonsense god damn it.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:03 pm

Wow that sounds interesting. A deep concave asshole :roll: .

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:26 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
That's the reality of it, another reality is that surfing is not exactly a social necessity, I mean why the FCUK would anyone seriously propose that councils and State governments spend millions of dollars rendering an artificial reef when there's people who actually NEED social services, like for fcuk's sake.

As far as Surf Management Plans go, well the day some self-elected Gold Coast Surf Council tries to "manage" me into surfing somewhere is the day said Council's members will be vainly trying to remove an MC deep concave from their prominent arseholes.

Get any form of government intervention into surfing and you will have, board registration, double diamond black run type ratings of surf spots, metered parking, cruise ship docking facilities.
Once they see the cash cow........ from the infrastructure, you forget the freedoms you once knew!
Let the gentle anarchy of surfing continue, insert your double concaves NOW :!: :!:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Accountant Just one more question before i lodge this years return. You're a surfer aren't you?.

Surfer dude Yeah why?

Accountant I just need to file how many waves you caught at plastic reef for tax purposes. It costs a lot to run so you're going to have to register your boards and have a bi annual check up. Unfortunately at your expense.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:37 pm

otway1949 wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:

Get any form of government intervention into surfing and you will have, board registration, double diamond black run type ratings of surf spots, metered parking, cruise ship docking facilities.
Once they see the cash cow........ from the infrastructure, you forget the freedoms you once knew!
Let the gentle anarchy of surfing continue, insert your double concaves NOW :!: :!:
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.83 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
After writing this I had a vision of the Presidential Bunker for War with the two master sergeants at either end of the the room about to launch total annihilation.
"On my mark you will insert single to double spiral deep concave, and rotate same simultaneously!" and TEOTWAWKI is upon us :D:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:42 pm

I don't get you Marvin. Are you a troll or a farkin idiot?

Half your posts are about coal seam gas and lookin' after the environment innit.

The other half are about dumping large amounts of foreign shit onto the ocean floor to make a new break.

Which is it buddy?

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:I don't get you Marvin. Are you a troll or a farkin idiot?

Half your posts are about coal seam gas and lookin' after the environment innit.

The other half are about dumping large amounts of foreign shit onto the ocean floor to make a new break.

Which is it buddy?
Artificial reefs aren't necessarily a negative in regards to the environment, there is lots of artificial reefs around the world created for the purpose of attracting and giving shelter and ideal areas for fish to feed, breed and live and its not just fish they attract its all kinds of sea life you get weed and sponges and corals starting to grow on them and all kinds of critters from tiny to large.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:19 pm

Artificial reefs have been seriously proposed as a means of mitigating coastal erosion. If it's going to happen, I'd like the surfing aspect of those reefs considered

Selfish? Probably, I own a surfboard or few. Poor fcukers to suffer the most don't
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:45 am

fongss wrote:How much coastal erosion is a direct result of surfers?

Ohhhhh.....can of worms opening :(
He's fcukin right ya know ... surfers walking into the surf via the beach are pick up sand on their feet and taking it into the sea where it dissolves.

Conversely ... when leaving the beach the sand (and even more so now that they have wet feet) is being deposited into their vehicles and taken away. Thats theft ... by anyones standards.

If one was to take a closer look at this phenomenon ... its fair to say that the surfing population alone could be deemed responsible for beach erosion ... global warming ... the GFC ... not to mention the shortening of garden hoses around beach side suburbs.

Rest assured we haven't heard the last of this.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.