Road trip: Sunshine coast - South coat NSW.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Road trip: Sunshine coast - South coat NSW.

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Heading down to a nieces wedding in SW NSW at the start of April.
Planning on driving down the coast as far South as approx Batemans bay before having to head inland.
Got 4 days to do that leg in.
We've got a VW LT35 van (decent size) so wife and the 3 kids and I are all going and probably going to free camp/sleep in the van with maybe a night in a caravan park thrown in.
Any good recommendations on where to stop along the way would be appreciated.
Haven't been down that way for decades.
Curious about taking the Princess Hwy through Sydney and over the bridge.
I'll take a board but chasing waves isn't a priority.
Be happy to stop over in nice places that the family will enjoy (albeit fleetingly).
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Road trip: Sunshine coast - South coat NSW.

Post by Kunji » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Pretty good camping and caravan park at kiola. Head down the bawley point turn off south of ulladulla. Good for families.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:53 pm

yeah, the the kiola area is nice for camping -- have a look at the national park website for camping in murramarang n.p. some great camping spots among the spotted gums and cycads (and decent waves). you might have to book.

don't forget your oyster knife -- grab a bag of oysters at the fish and chips at burrill lake.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:50 am

drive to Plomer/Seal Rocks first day. Camp and surf.

then through Sydney overnight and down to S.Coast to avoid city traffic. PLenty of bonza spots down there.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:46 am

what a douche. Do the cannon ball run straight to sydney for two days of coffee, clothes shopping, maybe get a haircut and asian food delights.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:57 am

sounds pretty good actually.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:07 am

Doing all the driving myself as wifey doesn't drive.
So won't be doing a cannonball run.
The Asian food side would make everyone happy though.
How's the Princess HWY through Sydney?
Only a rat can win the rat race.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:25 am

Do it at peak hour and you'll lose the will to live

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:34 am

Check the moonee beach nature reserve just north of coffs . The L.A.M.N. Headland emerald beach, the southern side of the headland. And/or sawtell. Lots of options and good waves there.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:53 am

Coops wrote:Pretty good camping and caravan park at kiola. Head down the bawley point turn off south of ulladulla. Good for families.

There may also be a few surf spots down there. Maybe.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:48 am

Bendalong is also worth a look

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 pm

alakaboo wrote:Do it at peak hour and you'll lose the will to live
the traffic is just as bad up the far north coast and southern queensland as in sydney. you're living a fool's dream up there. a fool's dream, i tell you. byron traffic is worse than bangkok.

but best do avoid sydney peak hour. south of the bridge to wollongong has an earlier peak hour...tradie's peak hour when they down tools in the glorious eastern suburbs to head back to the shire and wollongong...it starts at three pm, i think.

now some food options for your trip south of the bridge. if you find yourself in sydney and need to eat...anzac parade in kensington and kingsford for very good chinese, malaysian, indonesian. very close to the highway.

next is paul's burgers on the other side of tom ugly's bridge in the shire. there is also smithies fish and chips on this side of the tom ugly's bridge. both on the highway.

then it's nowra, the fish and chip shop on this side of the bridge, right at the bridge has re-opened. no idea if it's any good. they also sell oysters.

then nothing much till milton, try pilgrim's cafe (vegetarian burgers, juices). pick up a mick mackie board from the wall while you are there. the fish with a slight ski tail looks really good! brown sugar in milton is also good.
nice bakery near the marlin hotel in ulladulla...be wary of anyone who asks you "new to the 'dulla are you?" stock up in the dulla and get petrol if you camping in murramarang/kiola. take a knife and face mask for abalone.

then it's the fish and chip shop on the other side of the dulla, at burril lake. or throw in a line and snag a flathead. they are just waiting to jump on your bbq.

there is a fancy restaurant at mary beach if you want to treat the family.
then it's bateman's bay. turn left just after the bridge for fish and chips and cafes.

if you were smart, you'd ditch the wedding. keep heading south till you reach bermagui and start living the dream!

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:27 pm

purple pyramids wrote: byron traffic is worse than bangkok.
word!

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Stay off highways after dark or real early as truckies are just nuts and a van with family is too risky. Stick to speed limits in highway towns as cops are gnarly in those zones as they are on open road with sneaky hidden spots.

If looking for highway break for stretch without having to detour too much or take long side trips like Anga or crescent,try easy on/off to places like Mclean which. is really cool little town by the river with the Witzig gallery also stopping in the parks down by the river at Taree, now that it is bypassed, is great place to stop. Likewise sth coastKiama blowhole fun for kids.
Through Sydney over the bridge then eastern distributer after 10am and before 4pm is no at issue and can connect you past airport to Princes southward bound.

Good previous suggestions re south coast, also Lake conjola cvan park is great little spot for family.

You can cut up Browns Mountain from sth coast and over through Cooma/ snowy mts area down to get to SW nsw which adds some variety and autumn colours are really spectacular along with heaps of cool cvan parks and things to see. Catch a trout wack on the bbq

Surf if it's easily right there otherwise great adventure for family time.Enjoy

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:50 pm

Throuhgly recommend u do the Griswalds vacation trip thru the princes hwy. be sure to start ur entry off at kings st Newtown .

Ice cream stop offs on the way

:B
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:52 pm

the blue moon beach cafe at towradgi does very good burgers, and the banks at corrimal beach just north of there can be alright sometimes.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:55 pm

purple pyramids wrote:
alakaboo wrote:Do it at peak hour and you'll lose the will to live
the traffic is just as bad up the far north coast and southern queensland as in sydney. you're living a fool's dream up there. a fool's dream, i tell you. byron traffic is worse than bangkok.

but best do avoid sydney peak hour. south of the bridge to wollongong has an earlier peak hour...tradie's peak hour when they down tools in the glorious eastern suburbs to head back to the shire and wollongong...it starts at three pm, i think.

now some food options for your trip south of the bridge. if you find yourself in sydney and need to eat...anzac parade in kensington and kingsford for very good chinese, malaysian, indonesian. very close to the highway.

next is paul's burgers on the other side of tom ugly's bridge in the shire. there is also smithies fish and chips on this side of the tom ugly's bridge. both on the highway.

then it's nowra, the fish and chip shop on this side of the bridge, right at the bridge has re-opened. no idea if it's any good. they also sell oysters.

then nothing much till milton, try pilgrim's cafe (vegetarian burgers, juices). pick up a mick mackie board from the wall while you are there. the fish with a slight ski tail looks really good! brown sugar in milton is also good.
nice bakery near the marlin hotel in ulladulla...be wary of anyone who asks you "new to the 'dulla are you?" stock up in the dulla and get petrol if you camping in murramarang/kiola. take a knife and face mask for abalone.

then it's the fish and chip shop on the other side of the dulla, at burril lake. or throw in a line and snag a flathead. they are just waiting to jump on your bbq.

there is a fancy restaurant at mary beach if you want to treat the family.
then it's bateman's bay. turn left just after the bridge for fish and chips and cafes.

if you were smart, you'd ditch the wedding. keep heading south till you reach bermagui and start living the dream!

+1
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:57 pm

Lucky Al wrote:the blue moon beach cafe at towradgi does very good burgers,
I lost my virginity out near the norfolk pines out the back of the blue moon.