the most annoying surfer

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Battery
Grommet

Re: the most annoying surfer

Post by Battery » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:26 pm

BA wrote:
Grooter wrote:Cnuts who purposely make a big turn right near you and spray you with water. I really, really hate that, every drop that I feel hitting me feels like acid burning into my skin :x :x :x
Deliberate sprayers are fuckwits. It's just a dominance thing.
One of my best mates just loves spraying his mates, he also famously paddled over the shoulder whilst I was balls deep in one of the barrels of the trip at Lakey Peak, blatantly looking the otherway... "didnt see it mate"

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:35 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Don't know if the lunk head who landed on top of me last weekend was envisaging doing a spray or just totally unco or both.
There's a thing that happens with humans that your body follows where the head looks, sort of like an automatic targeting system. It works on motorbikes just as well as in the surf. So you need to look, register the obstacle but then look where you want to go to avoid it, rather than at what it is you are trying to avoid. Perhaps your devastating good looks and efficient paddling style rendered the poor fellow spellbound.
Same thing happens in the snow. It is very funny seeing someone who is very good skier do a tree run for the first time.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:49 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Matticus Finch wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Don't know if the lunk head who landed on top of me last weekend was envisaging doing a spray or just totally unco or both.
There's a thing that happens with humans that your body follows where the head looks, sort of like an automatic targeting system. It works on motorbikes just as well as in the surf. So you need to look, register the obstacle but then look where you want to go to avoid it, rather than at what it is you are trying to avoid. Perhaps your devastating good looks and efficient paddling style rendered the poor fellow spellbound.
Same thing happens in the snow. It is very funny seeing someone who is very good skier do a tree run for the first time.
In this particular situation I should point out the surf was a fullish semi close out with lefts and rights running toward each other but generally all over the place.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Think ill just buy a crash helmet matticus. Actually probably just roll over next time and let the board take the impact or avoid situations like that.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:14 am

There's a guy surfs at one of my locals who wears a helmet.
Got chatting to him in the water one day, he lost an eye from his own board, the helmet has a wire visor, like American footballers use.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

codswallop
regular

Post by codswallop » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:15 pm

Grooter wrote:
Cnuts who purposely make a big turn right near you and spray you with water. I really, really hate that, every drop that I feel hitting me feels like acid burning into my skin :x :x :x
If you don't want to get sprayed, don't get in the trough boy !!
Proud Participant of the Rainbow Sash Kale Cooking Tips Mardi Gras.

The oppression will not stand.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:I've braced for possible impact more than a few times, done the extra deep duck dive, somehow never been hit. Come up from a few duck dives gone wrong with boards intertwined though.

I don't ever surf in real crowds but sometimes it's just unavoidable anyway. If it's a dead certain then I'd be throwing the board and swimming for the bottom. You can replace a board, not an eye.

I always look out for guys in helmets, you never know why they might be wearing it. Just to make sure they come back up when they go down and stuff. Usually they are more than competent surfers, just a bit older. Maybe it's different in the city.
Very.
I've been landed on, had a tuflite mal snapped in half by a kook falling on it when he took off on a large dredging close out at low tide and lost it. Another similar situation put a huge fin gouge in another tuflite board. Same board has a bit of a crease in the bottom where someone dropped in then did a roundhouse straight into me. My fish has a big repair on a puncture in the bottom when someone decided to try duck diving under me rather than
paddling around me. So different?

Yeah you could say that.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Matticus Finch wrote:I've braced for possible impact more than a few times, done the extra deep duck dive, somehow never been hit. Come up from a few duck dives gone wrong with boards intertwined though.

I don't ever surf in real crowds but sometimes it's just unavoidable anyway. If it's a dead certain then I'd be throwing the board and swimming for the bottom. You can replace a board, not an eye.

I always look out for guys in helmets, you never know why they might be wearing it. Just to make sure they come back up when they go down and stuff. Usually they are more than competent surfers, just a bit older. Maybe it's different in the city.
Very.
I've been landed on, had a tuflite mal snapped in half by a kook falling on it when he took off on a large dredging close out at low tide and lost it. Another similar situation put a huge fin gouge in another tuflite board. Same board has a bit of a crease in the bottom where someone dropped in then did a roundhouse straight into me. My fish has a big repair on a puncture in the bottom when someone decided to try duck diving under me rather than

Yeah you could say that.
You've gotta get rid of that magnet beanie. :(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:53 pm

Beanpole wrote:

Very.

Yeah you could say that.
that many incidents indicates that maybe it's you in the wrong spot/doing the wrong thing?

SharkBoy
Grommet

Post by SharkBoy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:05 pm

I dislike the B and C level pros, sure they surf better than me but they always come in a pack and think they own every break, France and Portugal during contest season has the worst of it

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:33 pm

Definitely agree. Surfing at Bondi is a crazy activity. Obviously if someone drops in on me and does a roundhouse cutback into my board its my fault. However out of all the incidents I've listed that is the only one that involved a competent surfer. None of the rest would know what a roundhouse cutback was let alone pull one off. I see people taking each other out every second surf, mate.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:36 am

Most of the sup blokes around here are pretty good etiquette wise, no real idiots. However not long ago, my mate and I were getting some nice little summer waves right next to the flags at our normal beach. Anyway, up paddles, let's call him bozo. Bozo wobbles up on his boat, goes right past us, right into the middle of the flags. Right in the middle, about 10 metres in front of the swimmers. Hmmmm. Next wave comes, and bozo decides to show everyone his shredding style, turns it around, paddles for it, and just as he catches it right in front of a bunch of swimmers, falls backwards and spears his 12' boat into a bunch of swimmers. There was some yelling, but bozo ignores it and sets up again. After more yelling he disappears. About half an hour later as we walk past the lifeguards, here he is being abused by them for being a goose. Classic. No idea whatsoever.

codswallop
regular

Post by codswallop » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:29 am

Beanpole wrote:Definitely agree. Surfing at Bondi is a crazy activity. Obviously if someone drops in on me and does a roundhouse cutback into my board its my fault. However out of all the incidents I've listed that is the only one that involved a competent surfer. None of the rest would know what a roundhouse cutback was let alone pull one off. I see people taking each other out every second surf, mate.
Why would you bother ?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 am

I only ever surfed Bondi on tuflite boards and when it was over 4 foot.
Otherwise you just want to cry.

codswallop
regular

Post by codswallop » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:52 am

Beerfan wrote:Most of the sup blokes around here are pretty good etiquette wise, no real idiots. However not long ago, my mate and I were getting some nice little summer waves right next to the flags at our normal beach. Anyway, up paddles, let's call him bozo. Bozo wobbles up on his boat, goes right past us, right into the middle of the flags. Right in the middle, about 10 metres in front of the swimmers. Hmmmm. Next wave comes, and bozo decides to show everyone his shredding style, turns it around, paddles for it, and just as he catches it right in front of a bunch of swimmers, falls backwards and spears his 12' boat into a bunch of swimmers. There was some yelling, but bozo ignores it and sets up again. After more yelling he disappears. About half an hour later as we walk past the lifeguards, here he is being abused by them for being a goose. Classic. No idea whatsoever.
I often wonder about people like this and whether it is a lack of a clue or they are just selfish and arrogant, only considering themselves

Sometimes the latter doesn't seem like a bad place to be

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:49 pm

Quickbuck and his girlfriend the poxy pro.

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:20 pm

BA wrote:
Animal_Chin wrote:
BA wrote:
Grooter wrote:Cnuts who purposely make a big turn right near you and spray you with water. I really, really hate that, every drop that I feel hitting me feels like acid burning into my skin :x :x :x
Deliberate sprayers are fuckwits. It's just a dominance thing.
Maybe...

I'll often spray someone paddling out not because I'm trying to but because I'm turning away from them.

Turn = spray.
Read the first word. Deliberate. There's a difference. You say you're not trying to. They line you up.
I will deliberately spray someone if they start to paddle for a wave i'm already on, but other than that if they get sprayed probably just wrong place wrong time.

Other annoying people are the ones that go left on rights and vice versa.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:10 pm

codswallop wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Definitely agree. Surfing at Bondi is a crazy activity. Obviously if someone drops in on me and does a roundhouse cutback into my board its my fault. However out of all the incidents I've listed that is the only one that involved a competent surfer. None of the rest would know what a roundhouse cutback was let alone pull one off. I see people taking each other out every second surf, mate.
Why would you bother ?
Well apart from sometimes wondering just that....... It's basically my local and you can snare the odd one quite often. All those incidents I mentioned represent probably 12 years of surfing there. Keeping surf fit is important if you want to actually catch a few when you get away. I usually get hassled to go down every afternoon rain hail or shine and even though I grumble about it I wouldn't want it any other way.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?