South coast this week?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mr vic
regular

South coast this week?

Post by mr vic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:13 am

Back home visiting the family in Vicco at the moment(currently living in Europe) and got a week left before heading back.

Looking for any advice if its worth driving to the NSW south coast for a few waves this week?

Surfed from the Central coast to sunshine coast many times, but strangely enough never done a south coast trip despite it being a lot closer! would love to check it out and just camp out for a few days, but not convinced the 6+ hour drive to Merimbula and then up further north is worth it for a bit of 2ft windswell.

any tips appreciated as I get the feeling the south coast can be a fickle one! otherwise I might have a look closer to home.

thanks

speedneedle
charger

Re: South coast this week?

Post by speedneedle » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:00 am

Hey Mr Vic,

I've made that journey many many times in the bad ol' pre-internet days...

Fluked it amazingly with Merimbula bar, Aussie pipe and various notorious spots around Ulladulla...

It's a wonderful slice of Australia...but I know that's not your point...

Sooooo...I'm not assuming you're not familiar with surf report/prediction websites in Aust...but here we are -

http://www.swellnet.com/reports/austral ... /ulladulla

http://www.coastalwatch.com/surf-foreca ... -coast-nsw

It's not looking like ringing any alarm bells next week.

JD

mr vic
regular

Post by mr vic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:16 am

speedneedle wrote: It's not looking like ringing any alarm bells next week.

JD
Thanks mate, and thats what I was afraid of! actually very familiar with those sites, and been staring at them and windfinder.com obsessively the last few days! unfortunately(or perhaps not for some :-D-: ) coverage south of Ulladulla is pretty scarce and not sure i'm willing to venture into unfamiliar territory based on forecasts that are quite broad and cover a pretty large area.

indeed strikes as a beautiful area and would love to do a trip there. normally come back every 18 months or so, so can always do it next time

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:36 pm

Mr Vic,

It'll be worth a surf between Ulludulla and Nowra from Thursday through Friday.

A new south swell is due and with winds swinging E/NE Thursday arvo and N/NE all day Friday there'll be at least one classic left reef working, with a good beachy as well all within about 40 mins of each other.

Can't say more than that sorry.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:29 pm

SAsurfa wrote:Can't say more than that sorry.
Thats a colourful suggestion.

Teepee
Grommet

Post by Teepee » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:20 pm

As an ex Vicco myself. Johanna and beyond my friend, summertime always produces nice waves down there.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Teepee wrote:As an ex Vicco myself. Johanna and beyond my friend, summertime always produces nice waves down there.
Agreed.

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:45 pm

Aussie pipe

Doesn't exist. :-o
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

mr vic
regular

Post by mr vic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Teepee wrote:As an ex Vicco myself. Johanna and beyond my friend, summertime always produces nice waves down there.
thats true actually! Now considering a Wilsons prom(or around there) trip too. E winds thursday and NE friday with a bit of swell coming through. Has potential. Thursday might even be to big down Johanna way! decisions decisions

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:56 am

I should re-phrase. Aussie Pipe does exist, but only if you're willing to pay for a smashed window and everything that was in your car being stolen. If I go there I make sure there's absolutely nothing of value in the car and leave the windows completely wound down. Caves can be good too.
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:57 pm

The Far south coast has been filled with Mr.Vics, Mrs Vics and an amazing amount of little viclets on every imaginable surfcraft of all sizes. The full range, bikinis to burkas on the beach, king tide almost drownings and backpacker cases of terminal sunburn. Any of which there was none, would have swept past to about Ulladulla.
Once again the successful progrom convincing out of towners that merimbula is a hoax surf spot :-)( :-)(
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:19 pm

I HATE THAT PUB, it is a a bastion of the town's derros, not suprised at all you got that sort of treatment.
Merimbula is a town of nothing, other than retired people, those that service them and a regular influx that more than trebles the towns size in any holiday period.
Even amongst ourselves we can generate 50 out on a good day at the bar.
The water when it is working is pretty civilised and the watering hole is not.
The attitudes now are way better than they used to be, always with one or two exceptions.
Eden is reported to be far worse
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?