Crowds.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Scroty
regular

Re: Crowds.

Post by Scroty » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:43 am

Just remember that you are not separate. There is not you and the crowd. You are part of the crowd.
To me, people complaining about crowds seem oblivious to this.
"I went out surfing at a crowded break and it was harder to avoid people"
No kidding.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:49 am

Totally agree. When I start spewing about what a bad time I'm having I know its time to get out.
If you have a good session in a crowd its great but you can't expect it. Then again some days its not crowded and you have a crap surf as well.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:04 am

steve shearer wrote:That sounds like a pretty big quality hit though Braithy: not surfing the beachies over four feet and not surfing the Points.
what do you do when the surf is pumping?

I got three set waves this day. I'm still stoked from them. They were worth a million beachbreak waves. Couldn't imagine not surfing the Point.

I deal with the crowds at the Point by riding a bigger board. Everyone is out there on there 6'2"s. I rode my 6'9" and sat twenty yards further out.
First of all it depends on the beachbreak. I still rate straddie on its day, the best wave on the goldie ever since sand-pumping snapper started.

Big beachies, don't get me wrong, I'll still head out in if they're clean, I had a 6 foot day at Kingy before Tassie, and that was one of the best surfs I've had in the last 5 years.

For me now, that's where surfing is. There's no hiding on the beachies when their maxed out. Clean ups and closeouts. You have to punch through them, wear them on the chin. You can't time your run, rock off and sit on a shoulder like you can at a point. That's probs why I chose maxed out Juc with 3 people out, over flawless winki those coupla arvy's at Bells last year.

But, to answer your question ... Proper pumping, from the east, and I know it's there for a day or two.I clear out my schedule (which was pretty easy at Uni) and I head 300 odd k's north in my 4wd. I do that once or twice a year still.

If it's S/SE swell, there's all kinds of haunts further south to you where you can score with less than a dozen guys out. There's one wave about a 2km hike from a carpark which I like. It's not lennox, but it's still good.

It gets the heart rate really pumping. This is me now, and where I'm at.

When I was younger I was the same as you I guess. I'd wait, and paddle & paddle, sit a bit wider on my 6'3" and be happy for 1 or 2 set waves at burleigh in a couple of hours. Best waves of my life have been at burleigh, pre sand pumping days.

I don't have the patience or temperament for that shit, now kids are here. There's always something to do, somewhere to be or kids wanting to do something. So that's always on my mind. I just can't sit still in the lineup.

I also am pretty complacent. I'm stoked on the waves I've had, I don't seem to need bullshit pumping surf to get by in life now I'm a dad. The flame has burnt out.

I'm still fit, and still mining the stoke (lol). It's just different now.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:09 am

yeah, fairies nutz.

So, from what I'm hearing here, the whole crowd issue is a non-issue for those living in the urban zones.

People have adapted or just don't care.

What about people living in the sticks? South Coast? South Oz, Vicco?

Anyone getting riled up about crowds?

I have to admit, through Spring when the only half decent wave was Tallows and I was stuck in the Bay I pretty much quit surfing because the crowd was too diabolical.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:19 am

Crowds only rile you up if you choose to be out in them.

I'm not gee'ing you up here and I'm not dissing you here, but ... you seem to struggle with the fact the world is becoming very populated. Like I mean it properly seems to make you glum.

Everything we do in life involves waiting in line, being put on hold, waiting our turn etc. Every single aspect of life is like that.

I'll give up surfing completely -- just walk away from the lot. Easily, no questions -- before I add that to list of every other aspect of life involving crowds, people and waiting.

Surfing's my solace from everyday life and crowds and people until it isn't. At that time it becomes impossible to maintain, I'll probably take up offshore fishing in a canoe.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:20 am

i think everyone gave up surfing this spring

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:21 am

Gee that shot makes me want to jump in the car, Steve. Reminds me of the first time I surfed there.

I've had heaps of fun waves around Xmas/New Year and I didn't leave home.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:25 am

Lack of crowds is a major part of the reason I stayed here. Not just in the surf, either

It's been a bit of a sacrifice because quality can be seriously limited by wind direction. On the surf coast or Mornington Peninsula, when the wind goes westerly you can usually still get quality surf. Here, it's mostly shut down beachies

When it's good, it's easy to get away from crowds without much effort. Heaps of people only surf a handful of places and it's always had me fcuked why that is. Laziness perhaps? No spirit of adventure? Don't really know and I don't care enough to enquire. Certainly don't want to seem encouraging
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:26 am

Yes, but that is a separate ecological issue......the population issue I mean.

I've got rockfishing to get away from people completely.

There's no kooks on the rocks at three am when it's pissing down in winter.

Crowds don't bother me that much; I duck and weave.

But as someone who's surfed for thirty years and can do it reasonably competently I get far more satisfaction surfing good waves then shit waves. It's like someone who can build houses being told he couldn't make houses anymore, only play with lego. It's kind of the same, but not.

I don't need many good ones, just a few each year. For the most part I'm happy to sit out periods of shitt surf when crowds are unavoidable and them make hay when the surf season is on.

Beany, there was probably thirty blokes out that day. Set waves that were so perfect it was almost unbelievable.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:32 am

steve shearer wrote:
What about people living in the sticks? South Coast? South Oz, Vicco?

Anyone getting riled up about crowds?
It all relative ... especially in Tasmania ... where it "all relative".

Theres a couple of spots down around the mid north coast that I've surfed on a frequent basis over the years. On occasion the word "crowded" has escaped from a locals lips ... mid week sans holiday punters and all. Half a dozen out. I know these peeps ... by face not name ... I giggle ... fall from board and make sure that I give them the next set wave.

I surfed the Northern Beaches ... late last year ... the local lads said it was crowded ... I said they had no idea ... and took the next set wave.

I'm with CB or Pippa's Nightmare as he prefers to be known. Surfing is an out for me ... its mediative to a degree. Whilst the points can produce mind-blowing waves ... surfing there is a far different experience to riding waves away from the maddening crowds. I'll do it ... almost under sufferance though. In this aspect ... and maybe unfortunately for me ... I have one foot placed firmly in the past with regards to my notion of this surfing lifestyle art like sporting dance religion thing. But riding waves is too much fun.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:41 am

Probably a little bigger than when I surfed it. Staying at my mate Simon's place. This old mate Roscoe turned up. Simon had to go to work but Roscoe and I had a great session. Maybe 20 guys out. I had a Wayne Dean swallow tail that went very well in the hollow conditions. The wave just held the size so well. Quite a while ago now.
Got a big sea urchin spine in the foot as well.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:51 am

Crowd psychology is pretty interesting. Swvic it's not so much laziness that drives groups of surfers together as it is uncertainty. Many surfers really aren't that good or experienced, so they don't necessarily trust their own judgement of a surf situation. They follow a pack because it helps them feel secure.

Like shearer says it's easy to grow used to crowds, really apart from a few notorious examples where structured behaviour completely breaks down, crowds usually organise themselves pretty efficiently and everyone gets waves. It's only an issue if you're feeling a bit misanthropic or feel like you're not being given your rightful due within the crowd structure.

Me, I don't care much, I find I am irritated by crowds more in theory than practice. Like I'll see there's 50 guys out and think "fcuk off" but then paddle out and get whatever wave I want, cheer guys into waves etc. I don't essentially mind that other people surf, I feel it's good for them.

But it's interesting that surfing quality waves for years with almost nobody around seems to turn you into a human hating cnut. I mean what's the point.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:56 am

As a former Manly resident, crowds were never a big deal for me. Especially at somewhere like Manly, quickly suss out that most are kooks and paddle rings around them. Part of the key was also picking your peaks, at the south end of Manly there were a couple of longboarders without manners, despite knowing them both on a first name basis, they would both catch a wave, sprint paddle back out and catch another as soon as they got out there. Exercise in frustration surfing anywhere near them.

I've moved further up the peninsula now and deal with way less people, less strategy and more fun. Having said that, I surfed Manly a month or so back on a reasonable day, solidish, fairly hollow SE swell in S winds so one of the only places working on the Northside. Coupled with it being a Sunday, it was chockers...I actually found it really difficult to deal with the crowd. I find surfing in a crowd is now more about my headspace and if I can be bothered scheming and hunting as opposed to chilling and seeing what comes my way.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:08 am

Crowds don't bother me because I don't deal with them in anywhere near the scale of SE QLD or NSW deals with.

On average I would say that I usually never surf amongst more than 10 or 15 people at a single bank/reef during the year. Dawn surfs are the best to avoid crowds in summer and mid-week surfs in winter too. Hell during the week in winter down here I've surfed flawless Flinders reef breaks (4 - 6 foot, light northerly) all on my own.

We're never wanting for swell down here and as swvic states, we can pretty much surf anything until the wind really howls from the South. But even then if its a big-arse swell there is sheltered spots around that turn on and you can get a wave.

Crowds in the height of summer can be problematic though at the back beaches as they are the most well-known so they attract people from Melbourne and tourists. The waves and rips are more powerful so you get plenty of summer surfers floundering around requiring a bit of "witches hat" manouevering - but even then just walk down the beach and you'll usually find a bank.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:00 am

el rancho wrote:i think everyone gave up surfing this spring
Nope, I gave up surfing since the start of Summer!!! Cause I didn't have any other fecking choice, ya cnut Huey!!! :evil:

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:26 am

Nick Carroll wrote:Swvic it's not so much laziness that drives groups of surfers together as it is uncertainty. Many surfers really aren't that good or experienced, so they don't necessarily trust their own judgement of a surf situation. They follow a pack because it helps them feel secure.
I get that, but some of the people I'm talking about are good surfers

Generally, I get enough waves in a crowded situation, but my most enjoyable surfs are when it's just me and a mate or few. As Grooter says, in summer on the Morn Pen you can get good waves by taking a 15 min walk down the beach. However, for a long time the best bank at Gunnamatta was a left in front of the carpark which lasted several years. I'd nearly always surf it, but when it was summer crowded it meant you had to be aggressively vocal. At the time it didn't bother me. Now I just couldn't be fcuked
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:36 am

I've got friends who surf at Superbank and reckon they get plenty of waves, but they won't go to the Alley anymore because of the crowds.
At my local, 50 would be a crowd and those figures only happen on a reaaly good day. Happily, the crowds all seem to head to those northern points when it's that good.
I prefer no crowd but enjoy surfing with 3 or 4 - or even up to a dozen. There's a certain cameraderie, lots of fun and generally a good vibe.

When I was in Sydney, I preferred the Bower but only first thing. A couple of hours there from first light used to have to last me through the upcoming week. However, Queensie, Longy and Dee Why were fine, despite the crowds.
However, I haven't surfed down there since 2006. Based on what's happened up here in that time, I doubt I'd want to do it these days.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:43 am

I recall i did more surfing in Tas 89-93 than prolly anywhere since mid 70's. During that time if I wasn't alone, there's be a mate or three. Had a moderately ok beachie to myself, and a choice of bombies and points when conditions suited. Not to mention the boat trips to remote spots.
I think the crowds down there have ramped up a bit since.
Didn't get much in late '90s then back to Sydney.

I reckon if you're in the groove with your commitment to going out regularly, regardless, then you'd cope better with them.
Consistency is the key I'm sure. Whereas here it's year round, I'd imagine there's be periods of relative quiet up Steve's away during say winter months ??

The combination of crowds and bad feng shui here has meant I don't get out much anymore.
Too often I'll see it and go ahr, no not today.
Ma stoke is broke. :cry: