What we've been up to:

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: What we've been up to:

Post by Beerfan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:45 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:
Coops wrote:more gimmicky rubbish
Not at all, I've been riding identical wooden fins and they are powerful, unlike the usual gutless wonder greenough thin fins that most use.
Yeah those greenough fins suck, I've got a few and I hate how you can do hard fast carving turns on them when you're trying to go straight really slowly.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:36 pm

$200 for this piece of shit.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Who is we?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:05 am

Beerfan wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote:
Coops wrote:more gimmicky rubbish
Not at all, I've been riding identical wooden fins and they are powerful, unlike the usual gutless wonder greenough thin fins that most use.
Yeah those greenough fins suck, I've got a few and I hate how you can do hard fast carving turns on them when you're trying to go straight really slowly.
The standard greenough fin is ok, I rode them exclusively for the first 21 years so I know what they are like. Once going to more upright planshape fins with longer chord in '94 there was no going back however.. the low reynolds number of the greenough type vs the higher reynolds number and lower induced drag/higher lift of the 'spitfire' type? No competition really the spitfire type wins hands down.

The BLEF foils are another huge improvement.

Regarding fin flex in a Greenough type fin it only reduces efficiency as the flex is predominantly in the wrong plane. A long horizontal tip with high area is needed for correct fin flex.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:10 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:
What sorta coin we talkin' for 3d printing infrastructure Roy?

Roughly nz gdp?

In this case about $50k.

The ultimate is going to be 3D printing of complete surfboards in one piece using graphene... harder than diamond. 200 times stronger than steel, light, and flexible. Currently graphene is $200,000 per kg. I can't wait until it becomes possible, it will be soon.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:14 am

Animal_Chin wrote:Who is we?
Grammar old sport, it should be "who ARE we?"
I've signed a 9 page non disclosure agreement with one of the companies I'm working with so can't say too much. 'We' also refers to my business partner and I.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:51 am

Roy_Stewart wrote: unlike the usual gutless wonder greenough thin fins that most use.
Good to see you persevering with the overly opinionated unfounded pie in the sky theorist persona ... it goes so well with your pink jumpsuit and tinfoil hat. Get a mirror.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:47 am

loofy wrote:So are the foamies in the $500k range as well Roy? Dammit, what with the mrs on maternity leave prob a little out of my budget at the minute.
No, pricing will be in the normal range for foam boards.

Congrats on new little one.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:52 am

Womble wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote: unlike the usual gutless wonder greenough thin fins that most use.
Good to see you persevering with the overly opinionated unfounded pie in the sky theorist persona ... it goes so well with your pink jumpsuit and tinfoil hat. Get a mirror.
Oh I just found that the 70's singles had to be nursed through bottom turns, they'd get to the stall point pretty easily when pushed.I used to re fin some of mine as the foiling wasn't so hot, replacing them with fins from Wayne Parkes, they were pretty good.

Once going for slightly thicker fins with higher reynolds number and ellipticaI plan shape I didn't want to go back.. just opinion based on the past 40 years, you don't have to agree, but hydrodynamic theorydoes so I don't mind if you don't.

muggins
Local

Post by muggins » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:37 pm

:roll:
Last edited by muggins on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:36 am

Trying to get my head around graphene Roy....

If graphene is considered a 2 dimensional substance, how can you 3D print it?

And can anything really be considered 2D?

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:21 am

muggins wrote:Who is this bloke, Gyro Gearloose?
It's been good of him to stop in for a Christmas visit.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Damage wrote:
It's been good of him to stop in for a Christmas visit.
I was always under the impression Roy was Santa's antipodean cousin

marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:53 pm

]
Works for me..............[attachment=0]GyroDisney.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
GyroDisney.jpg
GyroDisney.jpg (16.06 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:31 am

Hey roy, ive disappeared from fb so don't hear from ya much now. Good to see your doing foam boards mate and looking forward to following more of your stuff here.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:11 am

fongss wrote:I Hazzard a half guess his made one or two more fins than the rest u :idea:
Hazzard as may half guesses as you like. Hey I bet the late Dennis Fergurson fiddled more kiddies than the rest of us ... but it doesn't make his views correct ... does it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with walking the path less travelled. The world needs people like Roy ... he's the yin for ya yang so to speak. I wish him well in his endeavours. And yes when I say endeavours ... I do mean large hulking wooden vessels.

God speed to you Roy baby ... keep it moist brother ... and shoot that curl ... yeowwwwwwwwww.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:48 am

Why does Roy use the term "hydrodynamic THEORY" instead of "hydrodynamic FACT"?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:33 am

Trev wrote:Why does Roy use the term "hydrodynamic THEORY" instead of "hydrodynamic FACT"?
The term theory is used entirely correctly.