The national war on bikie gangs

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: The national war on bikie gangs

Post by Grooter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:29 pm

Apparently bikie gangs make up for 0.6% of all crime statistics.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:01 pm

I hear the "Mild Ones" scooter club will be next on the hit list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Jsw6wwW7A

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:47 pm

They're beautiful wild and free. Let them be I say.
Fcukennwueensleand gubmint making them scapegoats. What'll they suppress next!!?

'pparently all these frozen yoghurt joints are fronts

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:34 pm

tonka79 wrote:Great use of the new bikie laws.

Queensland police raid recreational Vietnam and Veterans Motorcycle Club under anti-bikie laws

Yeh, go raid those Vietnam vets.... good work police. Maybe, when you have time, you can go catch some actual criminals....

How about this quote:

In a statement Queensland Police said the raid was "part of a strategy to develop a rapport with legitimate members of the motorcycle riding community in the interest of effective policing".

Yep, raiding non-criminal gangs is 'part of a strategy to develop a rapport with legitimate members of the motorcycle riding community'.
Well viet nam. War criminals maybe. Surely at least one of them killed or at least raped a gook baby or something. Im with the cops on this one.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Little
regular

Post by Little » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:33 pm

"Community expectations" are not in any way a reliable gauge of effective justice in any area. They're too shape-shifty. They're based on sand. Today's "community expectations" are tomorrow's nonsense. Laws that deal with serious shit, that put people away for long periods of time, that are pushed and tested in courtrooms, have to be considered and shown to work or otherwise over long arcs, not altered and prosecuted by some politician trying for the cheap vote or worse.
I'm not totally convinced, Nick. Community expectations may eventually pressure change for those terrible criminals such as gays wishing to marry or people in the grip of addiction. Laws that deal with serious shit haven't really proven to be effective as a crime preventive over the long term either, apart from removing some perps from society for periods of time. As part of the community, everyone is entitled to some degree of recognition and influence. Except readers of the Telegraph. They get no say and should be punished separately.

icepick
regular

Post by icepick » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:45 pm

Little wrote: ... apart from removing some perps from society for periods of time ...
Yeah, just send us to the University of the underworld. Great fucking system. Love it!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:36 am

Little wrote:
"Community expectations" are not in any way a reliable gauge of effective justice in any area. They're too shape-shifty. They're based on sand. Today's "community expectations" are tomorrow's nonsense. Laws that deal with serious shit, that put people away for long periods of time, that are pushed and tested in courtrooms, have to be considered and shown to work or otherwise over long arcs, not altered and prosecuted by some politician trying for the cheap vote or worse.
I'm not totally convinced, Nick. Community expectations may eventually pressure change for those terrible criminals such as gays wishing to marry or people in the grip of addiction.
Sure, it's a good point. But there's a clear distinction between the sorts of long term pressures exerted over many years to elicit change on behalf of people who have suffered from essentially meaningless social bigotry, and a kneejerk political reaction designed to appeal in the short term to a vaguely fearful electorate.

It's the long term results of the short term actions that should be concerning people here.You don't need new laws to bust people for manufacturing and dealing hard drugs, there's plenty of those laws in place already. If those new laws are turned against innocent people by a judiciary corrupted by political interference, then you've got something worse than a couple of bikie gangs.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:50 am

icepick wrote:
Little wrote: ... apart from removing some perps from society for periods of time ...
Yeah, just send us to the University of the underworld. Great **** system. Love it!
True, peeking through the blinds 'tards sure got skipped in the brain department.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Can I just say I am totally for Campbell Newman declaring war on a pack of bikies. Particularly if he fronts them on his own. I would love to see Cam stick his rude little head into a nest of bikies...or wasps for that matter. Maybe he can declare war on wasps.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

eel
regular

Post by eel » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:46 am

Apparently the Finks in response to being labelled a criminal organisation have patched themselves over to a bigger USA club.

"The worlds deadliest", if The Australian is to be believed and there gonna shoot any cops that pull them over.

Can't possibly be a media beat up!

icepick
regular

Post by icepick » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:39 pm

The deadliest don't wear patches.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Do 'bikie clubs' in the true sense even exist anymore? You know, guys with long beards who are really into bikes?

I think the words 'bikie' and 'bikie club' are miss used by the media way too much.
As an example the so called Brothers for Life don't seem anything like a 'bikie club ' at all. Yet that is what the media call them for some reason. Gives the real bikies if there are any a pretty bad name. Surely the real bikies would hate all the attention these other dingbats are drawing to them?.

Like do the smart criminals really walk around with a patch on their back in large numbers signalling to everyone that they are up to no good? That kind of seems really dumb to me.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Yeah yeah .... Anyone nominated you for TOTY....
there'd be some fcuken hot ethnic slur goes here widows missing the felafel.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Jeez Skip. I thought you would have learned how to have fun with the - definitely no ethnic slur goes here function by now.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

icepick
regular

Post by icepick » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:58 am

Natho wrote: ... Like do the smart criminals really walk around with a patch on their back in large numbers signalling to everyone that they are up to no good?
No. The dumb ones have patches on their upper sleeves.

Then, there's the underground network. It is again very different. No symbolism there.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:54 am

... there's a clear distinction between the sorts of long term pressures exerted over many years to elicit change on behalf of people who have suffered from essentially meaningless social bigotry, and a kneejerk political reaction designed to appeal in the short term to a vaguely fearful electorate.
The Thomas Kelly case might prove a worthwhile example. Four years on a reduced charge of manslaughter for a bloke on community orders for previous violent behaviour, a glassing included, won't do much for building community confidence. We seem to be supporting a lot of slow learners at the expense of decent citizens and this has been a long term trend. Read the Herald investigation into gay bashings during the eighties. I wish the community had been more vocal back then.
Compare the expected punishment for particular offenses in Singapore to what you'd expect with a half decent defence lawyer in Sydney, then compare rates for offending, especially re-offending. No contest. I'm not advocating harsher laws for chewing gum or spitting on the footpath, but for crimes of violence, particularly cowardly, unprovoked or "gang related".

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:53 am

eel wrote:Apparently the Finks in response to being labelled a criminal organisation have patched themselves over to a bigger USA club.

"The worlds deadliest", if The Australian is to be believed and there gonna shoot any cops that pull them over.

Can't possibly be a media beat up!
Wow, you mean to say the Finks are now Sons of Anarchy?
Only a rat can win the rat race.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:37 am

Little wrote:
... there's a clear distinction between the sorts of long term pressures exerted over many years to elicit change on behalf of people who have suffered from essentially meaningless social bigotry, and a kneejerk political reaction designed to appeal in the short term to a vaguely fearful electorate.
The Thomas Kelly case might prove a worthwhile example. Four years on a reduced charge of manslaughter for a bloke on community orders for previous violent behaviour, a glassing included, won't do much for building community confidence. We seem to be supporting a lot of slow learners at the expense of decent citizens and this has been a long term trend. Read the Herald investigation into gay bashings during the eighties. I wish the community had been more vocal back then.
Compare the expected punishment for particular offenses in Singapore to what you'd expect with a half decent defence lawyer in Sydney, then compare rates for offending, especially re-offending. No contest. I'm not advocating harsher laws for chewing gum or spitting on the footpath, but for crimes of violence, particularly cowardly, unprovoked or "gang related".

6 years
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy