Fins WTF

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Fins WTF

Post by alakaboo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:05 am

I thought this was the one smut free corner of the website, but no.

Well played sir.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:39 pm

cheers for the info. I am with you alakaboo on the fibreglass fins, I noticed a difference from the plastic ones...plus they dont snap as often (unless your legrope snaps and your board gets smashed on the shorie)

like the sound of custom fins too. Do you think its something you can do from afar...and not wishing to get anyone in trouble for spam...but I googled huie and custom fins but couldnt find anything...any hints?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:45 pm

Huie is a member on here.
Send him a PM and see how you go.
But don't be offended if he says no.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:47 pm

Just tell him you surf in a straight line
Erase.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Hey Duck. I hear what your saying and i use to have the same thoughts. What changed me was my new custom with the 4s system. You can change the cant and toe with them. I was encouraged to experiment so i did. Each surf i changed the toe by a milli dick till i got it feeling what I thought was right. Then i mucked around with the cant and settled on 4 degrees. I found the original fins made were a tad loose in the bigger stuff so we added a 5th moon fin for a experiment. I immediately felt the difference but we kept what we learnt and tried a new leading fin set for the quads and nailed it. I really do mean that huie nailed it for me. Im a average surfer at best but with questions from the man and feedback provided he was able to tailor a set of fins that suited the wAy i surfed. I consider myself very lucky.

The point im making is i could feel a difference with each setup. Admittently i have no idea why there was a difference but i leave that bit to those who know what they are talking about.

I think the cant is just as important as the fin these days but that is another topic on its own.

All i know is why get pop out fins for a custom board when you can get custom fins tailored to your needs. It just makes sense to me.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:58 pm

Huie made me a 7 1/2 greenough fin. I don't have a single fin now but I'll definately get one again. Went insane in a 9'er I had, with no side bites.

Love to get a 7' egg for it to go in, and will get one in the future, just for that fin.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:19 pm

A lot of my fins are very similar to boos so wont bother doubling up with photos. Though the quality is certainly evident.
Attachments
IMG_5446.JPG
IMG_5446.JPG (69.08 KiB) Viewed 5843 times
IMG_3616.JPG
IMG_3616.JPG (76.17 KiB) Viewed 5843 times
IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3612.JPG (82.81 KiB) Viewed 5843 times

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:04 pm

No doubt fins are important Digger, fish wouldn't swim too well otherwise. Guess i just don't have the impetus to delve the way you have. I do know when something feels shit but determining what is better and the many levels of betterness is harder, especially with the range of variables on offer. Good to have a guy like Huie helping you and Boo to refine the feel.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:23 pm

Yer, your right duck. I could not do it myself and I wouldn't try. I would just get lost in the choices

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:41 pm

Arrived today...quite different to what I have been using

Straight on to 7 shades

in the water tomorrow

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:44 am

Almighty God wrote:Arrived today...quite different to what I have been using

Straight on to 7 shades

in the water tomorrow
how did they go mate.

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:28 am

diggerdickson wrote:A lot of my fins are very similar to boos so wont bother doubling up with photos. Though the quality is certainly evident.
Single tab fins digger? Can't see how they can be good, 2 tabs are bad enough, one tab is going to let the fin distort under pressure :cry:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:01 pm

shaunmorrison wrote:
diggerdickson wrote:A lot of my fins are very similar to boos so wont bother doubling up with photos. Though the quality is certainly evident.
Single tab fins digger? Can't see how they can be good, 2 tabs are bad enough, one tab is going to let the fin distort under pressure :cry:
Fair question mate. They don't actually distort at all. They are used in the 4ws system and i have found them to be excellent and have experienced no negative feedback under my feet. If we ever meet up i would love to give you a try of the board so you can feel them for yourself bloke. I should be at the bluff in 3 to 4 weeks. I'm at kalbarri till next Wednesday morning