A personal message from Don

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: A personal message from Don

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Dougal wrote:
Trev wrote:Dougal, we don't need your crap in this topic or anywhere in General Surf Discussion.
Pull your head in.
Take this as your last warning.
Was it cos I said reg? Or was it cos I said champignon?

Sounds like all this power's gone to your head & you're getting a bit trigger happy, old mate.

Might be time you had a break from the forum for a bit.
It won't be me taking a break.
It's not what you say but how, when and where you say it.

And you KNOW that.
So go on playing that game if you like. You'll lose.

It's not about power mate. It's about responsibility.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:04 pm

I like the calendar idea. Always a good Xmas present for someone else if I get a surplus.

Yeah, what happened to Dougal's post, auto-delete or something. :?:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:45 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:
Trev wrote:Dougal, we don't need your crap in this topic or anywhere in General Surf Discussion.
Pull your head in.
Take this as your last warning.
Hey Trev, this might sound weird, but, WTF?

I can't even see any posts from him, up to this point where you posted this comment?

Am I missing something?

I know I have a few screws loose ... (walks off scratching head).
:D
I deleted it and several others. He knows what I'm referring to.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:20 pm

I'll donate twice as much if Dougal and all his future incarnations get a life ban.

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:53 am

Trev - your avatar, its taken from a Weetbix card series from the 80's - rally cars :-)(

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Biggun wrote:Trev - your avatar, its taken from a Weetbix card series from the 80's - rally cars :-)(
No. It's not. I know that series. Currently getting a lot of mileage on the Australian Rally History site.
That's my car in the forests just north of Woodford. I went on to blow a fan belt, overheat the engine (but no damage) and copped a faceful of steam when I tried to loosen the radiator cap and it came right off.
The guy navigating went on to win the Qld Rally Championship as a driver, joined the Precision Driving Team and was the highest place Aussie at the last WRC event held in Australia.

Beanpole

Skipper

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Count me in, Don.

Further to 'boo's comment, it'd be handy if you could decline the enticement when donating. I've got enough of all that stuff and all it does is take away from the amount raised.

Unless, the enticements were...

Donate $25
You get: Tomtom banned for 1 month

Donate $50:
You get: Tomotom banned for 3 months

Donate $100
You get: Tomtom banned for 6 months

Donate $500
You get: Tomtom banned for life

Donate $5,000
You get: Perform the surgery of your choice on Tomtom.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Hysterectomy. Through the nose.

Yon Beasty

Post by Yon Beasty » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:06 pm

On behalf of the great unwashed, the lurkers…well actually scrap that, we are a disreputable lot.

Anyway this lurker be happy to chip in, over the years been happy to drink from the cup of wisdom (and drivel) that is the real surf forums.

Hell I could even challenge the one they call Grooter to an eat off and donate the proceeds to RS. I’m not one to big note myself and I’m not saying I could win, but fark it! I’d be a worthy opponent for old Groots in an eating contest. We’d have to agree on which field the battle is fought though, be it fried fish n chips, cheesy pizza, seafood extender etc…

(Fark this is why I don’t post on here, I can’t be trusted, 3 beers and I’m on here challenging a complete stranger with uncharted eating capabilities to an eating competition. The insanity. Back to lurking…)

booradley
regular

Post by booradley » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm in.

booradley
regular

Post by booradley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:38 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:For gods sake...

1. No one who is worth a pinch of shit cares about crass incentives like calendars, wallpaper, postcards and stubby holders. I'm happy to fork out some moolah but that stuff is an insult to everyone's intelligence.

2. Just ban tom tom once and for all. It doesn't worry me or most forum regulars but it demeans Trev and you, Don, to not piss him off. It's actually a bit of a sad joke. A lot of people have pushed the "boundaries" me included. But fcuk....

3. May I be frank....??
Ok...good. Don your website has much to merit it and it has become integral to the lives of many people of high quality. However, it is what it is and what it shouldn't do is try and be something it's not. I wouldn't waste a cent in that direction. Structure, design and the introduction of other stuff will add little in my opinion. Real surf is quirky and charming and unusual, and so it should remain.

4. Don, maybe just front up on what it costs to keep it running and set some targets? If you don't want to dip into your own pocket, understandably, then what do you need and when?
Agree. The only knick-knacks that are worth the effort might be t-shirts or car stickers to get some publicity. Even then it's debatable as to how much.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:10 am

Include me in. Gee if the Australian can charge for its bogus opinion pieces I think realsurf deserves a donation.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:49 am

Hi again

More useful and not so useful but still funny thoughts. Again, good to see from my side and hugely appreciated.

re: the rewards/incentives whatever they're called

I've had a look at the pozible handbook as well as the detail of the process by which one sets up a crowdfunding project and I can't see any way to make rewards optional. If the tables were turned, I'd be one of those people who'd just kick in without any particular need/interest in a "reward". In fact, as my wife put it, if she was kicking in, she'd rather that every cent went to the cause (instead of production, shipping & handling of rewards).

I'll be checking with the pozible folks about how I could make rewards optional (after all, some people will probably dig getting something tangible from RS too)

I also had a brainwave (or not, you decide!) about offering a reward of a 300x100 ad position for our supporters. If you kicked in $50, you'd be "sponsor for a day" across all page views (ie the ad would appear some place on any page you viewed either on RS or the Forums). Make it $100 and it'd be 3 days, go to $250 and it'd be a week. Setting it up would be a bit time consuming of course, but I figure I should be able to do each set up in about 15 mins, but otherwise there'd be no postage and handling costs.

That said, I am kinda keen on seeing a RealSurf calendar and postcard pack. I could use a couple stubbie holders as well - but maybe they'd be better as shwag offers instead...

decisions, decisions... :roll:

Thanks again and keep that feedback coming!

carpetman

Post by carpetman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:37 pm

Happy to chip in. Animal Chin's signature alone is enough to throw a bit of cash over. A few more gifs like that around the page and the traffic should increase dramatically!

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:21 am

Count me in. I have learnt more from this forum than I have put in.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.