When did the rules change?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Re: When did the rules change?

Post by Karlos » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:44 pm

It's not so much that the rules have changed, but more like the vast hordes are totally unaware of them. It's almost like the rules no longer exist I suppose when you look at it that way.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Fark I hate the board ditchers! Particularly in super small surf.

Bastards look behind them, see someone and chuck the board anyway.

Never seen someone call out while paddling. Must be a Queensland thing.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:30 pm

March 3rd, 2009.
It was in the calendar.

It's why I don't surf pointbreaks any more.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:04 pm

fongss wrote:I've noticed. Now if your up and riding ppl paddling out will call too you to avoid them :-?

I guess with most spots so utterly over crowded now, it makes some sense that the rider now has get out everyone's else way

And ppl throwing there boards rather than attempt a duck dive :-?
Actually saw a mal do it the other day,. Board cleans up another guy, mal rider. Demands the guy his board hit has fix the resulting ding :-?

When did it all change :?:

I guess as surfing continues grow and become more and more crowded the rules will have evolve as well :?: :|

It's all about entitlement and pandering to the lowest common denominator now.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:04 pm

I'll yell out if it looks like the person is taking off and totally oblivious to me being directly in front of them. Happens quite often in the eastern suburbs. Not sure how but it does.
My pet peeve is people who keep paddling for the shoulder when theres no real issue with them coping a little bit of white water on the head. I usually point in the direction they should go. Particularly annoying if your pushing to get through the next section and they decide you should straighten out rather than them change direction. :-? :-?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Only ever seen the odd kook do what you're talking about fong.
Mind you I don't get the crowds you do (except maybe at the street.
But geez I hate it when people paddle out through the riding zone and/or sit 20 or so meters inside the take-off spot for the sets.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Sounds like the crew of clueless visiting wannabe surfers that turn up at Merimbula.
Surfing's equivalent of an L plated VW driver pulling out on a F1 circuit. Their paddling for the shoulder is like someone trying to run across the straight! They look like rabbits in the headlights as you come out of your first bottom turn
Carnage :shock:

Worse still some of them now are turning up on SUP They fortunately usually only last for about two set whackings.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:39 am

Trev wrote:But geez I hate it when people paddle out through the riding zone and/or sit 20 or so meters inside the take-off spot for the sets.
Feck, don't get me started on both of these. These are two of the biggest reasons I avoid crowds like the plague now!!! Can't stand it having to dodge people who sit on the inside and/or paddle back out through the line up. Does my fecking head in!!!

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:10 am

At my local you'll have to dodge through people on the inside who simply sit there looking at you.
No effort to even paddle anywhere.
Ran over a twits nose the other day as I had to go inbetween two sitters and one of them turned his board as I went past.
Nice big $65 gash in the bottom.
A pox on marker buoys in the lineup.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:39 am

You should get an old board Fong and write the rules on that. Some nice ms paint art to illustrate for the foreign or illiterate, Plop it in somewhere everyone can see it. Like they have here. Does it work you ask?
I read it just to refresh my memory.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:03 am

Surfing Etiquette.gif
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:10 pm

The problem with the Margs rules is the interpretation of the very first 2 rules.
If you're surfing a point on a shortboard you can be furthest inside and have a longboarder sitting down the line but further out who will paddle into the wave and believe the shortboarder is snaking them.
The shortboarder will say the longboarder is a drop in.
:-o
As I interpret the rules
If its a beachbreak furthest out (and closest to peak).
For pointbreaks furthest inside.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Big problem that 1, same applies to a thicker wider fun board rider who gets to his feet first wider than a shorty taking off late on the inside. Think in a lot of cases it all works out if the crowd is small enough but once critical mass is reached it's a free for all.

There is no excuse for shoulder scrambling. I think the enforcement or encouragement of the rule is not what it once was?

swellcast

Post by swellcast » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:55 pm

The crowds have really stepped up in Perth over the last couple of years. They erected similar signs on the Trigg - Scarborough stretch recently:

http://stirling.inmycommunity.com.au/ne ... s/7642132/

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:12 pm

On the other hand I have twice over the recent years had "helpful" surfers try to explain to me that I shouldn't be taking off on the peaks outside but sitting in where the real take off spot i.e. their preferred take off spot is. I'm not talking a little bit further out I'm talking one whole section further out. As far as I'm concerned if they don't want to catch waves from there fine that's their choice not mine. If I'm making the take offs from there then that's the take off.

Paradoxically I'm particularly sick of novices paddling past you at rocky point breaks and happily plowing into the rocks repeatedly while calling everybody off. If they make 1 in 10 waves and everyone else sits there giving them daggers they remain oblivious until informed otherwise.

Re: people plowing straight at you. I mean totally unaware that someone happens to be 10 feet directly infront of them. Had one guy a month ago and I'm paddling out thinking he will obviously turn now, yeah, any minute, no, he can't actually control his board and he's still coming at me, surely somethings going to happen, splat, run over. Now the sun was in his eyes a bit but I'm talking slowly cruising along not speed or anything here.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:52 pm

The thing is when it comes down to it....its called surfing, not sitting or paddling.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Don't all move to Noosa?