Finally made the big time. Roxy Pro ad - SEXIST

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Finally made the big time. Roxy Pro ad - SEXIST

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

the prawn
Duke Status

Re: Finally made the big time. Roxy Pro ad - SEXIST

Post by the prawn » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Emily's List is sexist :shock:
It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:48 am

That's no answer, so are men.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:15 am

speak for yourself guru,I'm just simple and nice to know ..

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:17 am

I would.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:20 pm

The headline and article implies that a donkey was used in the ad. Quick, someone call PETA!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... surfing-ad

But seriously, what is Seppo spelling doing on a British website in an article written by an Australian writer? Standards have to be maintained. My inner Anglophile rages.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Elmako
Grommet

Post by Elmako » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:58 pm

They really got me when she steps out of the car and I can see her pretty painted toes...yummy....

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:22 pm

Now that Cathy Lumby's on the case , all will be right in good time.

Can you imagine her in surf co/magazine offices, advising editors, photogs etc.... on the finer points of balanced and non sexist representation.
Nah. Me neither.

While its a pretty rank attempt at promotion using sex, can any one seriously be any more offended or outraged than at the same thing which has been going on for ever anyway.....theres not a mainstream commercial mag in the history of surfing mags that has ever NOT HAD girly pics and smutty innuendos.

And if it gets me more waves, sure ill wear a bikini.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Skip, it definitely WILL NOT get you more waves.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:14 pm

sometimes Dougal, I wish I knew you - har fucken har har

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:24 pm

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 am

It was Steph, Fong.

For all the talk about sexism and voyeurism, I think the ad just really missed the mark in terms of Steph's marketability and key advantage over the others. Sure, Coco and Tyler etc. can surf, but they have a whippy sort of style that is more like watching grommets surf and gets tired pretty quickly. Steph has style and power.

I'd much rather surf like Steph than root her.

Sure, she's a good looking girl, but that ad didn't really do anything for me apart from make me laugh. FWIW I got sent it by my wife, who found it hilarious that it was how they promoted a 5X world champion surfer

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:15 am

Hit it right on the head, 'boo. Steph was way ahead of all the other girls when she emerged - she surfs like a man. I had expected the others to get to that level by now, but they haven't

To me, that link you posted is a much more efficient marketing tool than the actual ad. Then again, I'm not a marketer
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:57 am

i read on the internets that it might be rosie hodge

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:05 am

ha ha it seems hard to get everyone to see how ridiculous this is

but what the hell. I mean it really poses a question for me as a journalist.

Like next time I cover one of the women's WCTs, what do I write about?

The different athletes, their prep, their equipment, fears, confidence levels, skills, conflicts etc etc -- sorta like those Red Bull Media pre-event trailers they've been doing all year with the men? You know, the ones where Mick and Joel were shown engaging in core training, talking about what they hoped the year would bring, yet for some odd reason never captured entwined almost naked in their bedsheets at dawn?

Or should it be a bit like this...

Steph and Alana both langorously stretched their firm toned bodies as the sun glistened on their tanned skin. It was another perfect day in the perfect lives of these incredibly sexy, complex, multi-dimensional women, who only minutes before had both had lengthy showers in their respective hotel rooms, the warm water tracing droplet patterns down their long, sexy legs. They bent over their surfboards and gently smoothed wax across the sleek surfaces with their elegantly contoured hands, not even conscious for a moment of the way their buttocks strained the silken fabric of their bikini bottoms in an undeniably sexy fashion.

It all seemed to happen in slow motion, which was a bit odd when you think about it, but then again these were sexy free spirited complex women with numerous dimensions so perhaps time was slowed down a bit by all the dimensions getting in the way.

And as they strolled down the golden sands, bent and stretched their long gleaming legs again and pulled the coloured jerseys tight against their incredibly sexy upper bodies, and plunged in graceful, almost swan-like slow motion into the warm salty water that almost immediately caused the fabric of their bikini bottoms to cling to their buttocks, the all male judgng panel sighed and punched in the scores ... 10s all round.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:33 am

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:41 am

Not hard at all Nick.
Do you think that sometimes there's only so much that can be said about anyone's surfing, before it comes down to drawing extraneous connections to it?

I think therein lies the crutch, :oops: crux,
What can be written or spoken of about a pro surfer - male or female- which needn't really be determined by their sex.
As 'boo says about Steph, she does indeed have exceptional skill and ability that distinguishes her surfing. Layne B has/had it. no? And if the other tic tac styled girls actually looked far less 'appealing to the eyes' would they have gotten this far...?
Say Pauline Mencer ? who from memory wasn't exactly 'hot' surfed as skilled and powerfully as some men, attention would surely be focused on just that.

When all's said and done, there seems to be a problem in discussing something that, as we've wrestled with here over and over, exists intuitively, expressively, soulfully....sometimes ephemerally and more often than not subjectively.
At some point you have to ask what more can be said about surfing, or rather when there's nothing left to say, discussion turns to external factors like 'sex appeal' and marketability.