Wavegarden 2.0

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

eel
regular

Wavegarden 2.0

Post by eel » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 am

carvin marvin
charger

Re: Wavegarden 2.0

Post by carvin marvin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:00 am

^ Agree.

Almost overhead for the grom.

Dane Reynolds gets a 12 second/120 metre ride which is longer than your average 6-8 second beach break ride.

5 of these wavegardens planned for OZ.
Anyone know where.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:29 am

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:29 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 pm

grom fun :-D-:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Based on their press release, and noting that they're proposing to generate a 2m wave as opposed to the trial 1m wave, by my very rough calculations, it looks like costs would be of the order of $3-$4 per wave to cover their power supply, establishment, staffing and maintenance costs.

So would you pay $30-$40 for 10 waves?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Donweather wrote:Based on their press release, and noting that they're proposing to generate a 2m wave as opposed to the trial 1m wave, by my very rough calculations, it looks like costs would be of the order of $3-$4 per wave to cover their power supply, establishment, staffing and maintenance costs.

rhetorical,no?
i

northeasterly
regular

Post by northeasterly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Donweather wrote:Based on their press release, and noting that they're proposing to generate a 2m wave as opposed to the trial 1m wave, by my very rough calculations, it looks like costs would be of the order of $3-$4 per wave to cover their power supply, establishment, staffing and maintenance costs.

Absolutely. With the amount of time I get to surf I'd happily pay double that, especially if it's that perfect.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:16 pm

Well this looks more viable than Slaters and Webber's circlular designs.
This business will be all about land costs - getting at least 2 hectares close to your target market. Rectangles work better than circles when buying land.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:05 pm

loofy wrote:I am not just talking about wave quality, just the whole notion of the f^cking thing.

"Just going down the industrial park for a surf, got my $50 to stand in line and get my 5 goes on an identical wave"

Oh well each to their own.
as opposed to 5k to go to a crowded mentawis break and take your turn in the lineup
to surf an identical wave :lol:

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 pm

loofy wrote: "Just going down the industrial park for a surf"
"just going down the disused aluminium works for a surf", don't you mean? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nort ... s-21937751

I love all the attendant hyperbole with these proposals. The perfect 6ft barrels are always tantalisingly just out of fingertip reach. Still, for unsurpassed bollocks our local council takes some beating. On announcing "Europe's first indoor surf centre" in 2005, our glorious council leader had this to say (my bold):

"The Surf Stream will excite people and put Swansea on the map by making us the surfing capital of Europe. The Surf stream will provide the perfect waves all-day every day for boogie-boarding and stand-up surfing."

This is what we got

With this now at their disposal, quite why the ASP has persisted with Hossegor as their main European stop really is beyond me
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:18 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
loofy wrote: "Just going down the industrial park for a surf"
"just going down the disused aluminium works for a surf", don't you mean? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nort ... s-21937751

I love all the attendant hyperbole with these proposals. The perfect 6ft barrels are always tantalisingly just out of fingertip reach. Still, for unsurpassed bollocks our local council takes some beating. On announcing "Europe's first indoor surf centre" in 2005, our glorious council leader had this to say (my bold):

"The Surf Stream will excite people and put Swansea on the map by making us the surfing capital of Europe. The Surf stream will provide the perfect waves all-day every day for boogie-boarding and stand-up surfing."

This is what we got

With this now at their disposal, quite why the ASP has persisted with Hossegor as their main European stop really is beyond me
Back to the '30's!!!!!!!!!

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:00 am

Don't know how credible they are, but the figures I've seen have very low running costs. Main cost is in land purchase and construction, which has to be centimetre perfect for the wave to break properly.
Evaporation will kill it in warm climates.
Your costs look reasonable to me. I wouldn't pay them, but I'm not in Perth. I reckon if you put one in a mining town you'd pay it back in 6 months with the fact that more people might consider working or living there.
pinhead wrote:This business will be all about land costs - getting at least 2 hectares close to your target market. Rectangles work better than circles when buying land.
I suspect they'll only get up where the council donates the land.
carvin marvin wrote:5 of these wavegardens planned for OZ.
Anyone know where.
Perth and Gold Coast.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:28 pm

It looks fun, especially if it's been flat for a while, or the banks are shit.

I can't see me ever going to one in my lifetime, particularly on the Goldie ... it'd be more crowded than the Alley on a three foot sunny day.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:12 pm

I'd go if the entry price guarantees un-crowded conditions.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:29 pm

I grew up right next door to one of the world's most artificial- looking perfect waves, Little Avalon.

LA works best in a 4'+ easterly groundswell, a light sw wind and a high tide. When conditions are like that it is like a machine, just produces the same wave over and over again, 5 second barrel wave after wave.

Started surfing it a lot in 1976. My last surf out there was late 1978. During that last surf, a perfect day, as good as it could possibly get, I remember going out and getting a dozen waves back to back, each doing pretty much the same thing.

I was kind of pissed off to discover that 12 consecutive five second barrels could actually be boring.

Dare I say, surfing's great charm is that of the unknown. Once you know precisely the sort of wave it is you'll be riding, it loses a certain amount of its allure. Not all, for sure, but some.

Watching that wave garden wave, I thought in addition, the quantity of energy in an ocean wave just makes that sort of thing look like cardboard.

But whatever, it looks like a shit load of fun for the mini groms and it will definitely get more people into surfing!

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:32 am

Nick said,
Watching that wave garden wave, I thought in addition, the quantity of energy in an ocean wave just makes that sort of thing look like cardboard.

I agree, the energy is about the equivalent of a 6 second period wind swell.
But the exciting and interesting thing is, that the way the wave is generated will evolve, just by experimenting and changing the shape of the thing that pushes the swell they will eventually discover what gives more push power and eventually find a shape that produces the power equivalent to the energy of a 12 second period swell.