Serious injury at the Pass

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hollowed out
regular

Serious injury at the Pass

Post by Hollowed out » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:07 pm

This is very disturbing story in SMH, Did anyone see or know what happened?

A father-of-three is in a critical condition after he was struck in the head by a surfboard while at a popular Byron Bay beach.
The 36-year-old was surfing popular break The Pass when he was struck by the board just before 1.30pm on Sunday. He was spotted moments later laying face down in the water.
The man, from Miami on Queensland's Gold Coast, was brought to shore and attempts were made to revive him before paramedics arrived and transported him to Byron Bay Hospital.
He was later transferred to the Tweed Hospital where police on Monday said he remained in a critical condition on life support.
Advertisement
The Pass, located halfway between Byron's Main Beach and the headland, is one of the most popular breaks on the state's north coast and can become crowded when there is a decent swell.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/father-critic ... z2Vm78U0a5

channels
Snowy McAllister

Re: Serious injury at the Pass

Post by channels » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:22 pm

Was he a Billabong employee?

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:32 pm

channels wrote:Was he a Billabong employee?
If that was an attempt at sarcasm is just so cruel and lame, channels. If not, who knows other than he and family were from GC.

Seems from another press story, the poor guy got hit by his own board and had a heart attack and is clinically dead but being kept alive to donate his organs.

really sad with three kids who witnessed it all

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:30 pm

easy to do when you renew licence but be sure to let your family know that that is what you wish because it seems they have the ultimate say when the decision is made.
Saw a TV show about it recently and glad I went for it years ago but it only works if you die in certain circumstances and if they can get to you quick enough, so what is to lose by ticking the box?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:14 pm

Hollowed out wrote:The Pass......can become crowded when there is a decent swell.
The Pass is always crowded even in shit conditions. Best avoided.

A tragic story. :cry: Makes my broken rib out there a few years ago insignificant.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:43 pm

Not sure what crowding has to do with this story, only needs to be one out to get hit with you're own board

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:33 pm

interesting comment wingnut, because a surgeons definition of 'dead' might be different to yours...you see they want the organs nice and fresh

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Hollowed out wrote:
channels wrote:Was he a Billabong employee?
If that was an attempt at sarcasm is just so cruel and lame, channels. If not, who knows other than he and family were from GC.

Seems from another press story, the poor guy got hit by his own board and had a heart attack and is clinically dead but being kept alive to donate his organs.

really sad with three kids who witnessed it all
It wasn't a comment on the victim. It was a comment on you Hollowed Out... Have you posted in a thread before that wasn't related to the Billabong takeovers?

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:09 pm

^^ Channels, you are a sad piece of work. Plese do not sign a donor card because nobody deserves to get one once of what constitutes your DNA.

If you can not work what, when and how I have posted on RS, then start reading. It just happens that the Bong post drew a lot of interest and if that fcuks with you then it is most likely you are associated with Bong because I am not in any shape or form.

It is a sad reflection on where we are at today that the posting of sympathy and concern for a fellow surfer (as well as father and husband) is infected with moronic finger pointing and slur over a totally unrelated issue.

Trev... ban or monitor channels posts before he infects RS any further with total insensitivity

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:26 pm

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:38 am

News report on ABC radio this morning said he PASSed away overnight.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:44 am

Hollowed out wrote:^^ Channels, you are a sad piece of work. Plese do not sign a donor card because nobody deserves to get one once of what constitutes your DNA.

If you can not work what, when and how I have posted on RS, then start reading. It just happens that the Bong post drew a lot of interest and if that fcuks with you then it is most likely you are associated with Bong because I am not in any shape or form.

It is a sad reflection on where we are at today that the posting of sympathy and concern for a fellow surfer (as well as father and husband) is infected with moronic finger pointing and slur over a totally unrelated issue.

Trev... ban or monitor channels posts before he infects RS any further with total insensitivity
H.O. while not condoning channels' comment in this regard, I have to say that there's a lot worse posted on here from time to time which is infinitely more insensitive.
There is no doubt the loss of (any) life is sad.
But channels was (IMHO) only echoing what I feel sure others on here wonder.
The figures speak for themselves.

Most active forum:
General surf discussion
(177 Posts / 87.62% of user’s posts)
Most active topic:
Bong in big trouble
(97 Posts / 48.02% of user’s posts)

I'm not suggesting you have any financial interest in them but you're sure fixated on them.

So, why bring this up here? Well, I wouldn't have but you opened the door.

However, best we leave this discussion now for the Billabong thread and return to providing information about the Byron tradgedy.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:48 am

Trev, it was not me who raised it at all in this thread, it was channels having some kind of childish shot for some lame reason. Read the post he made at the start of this thread to see that your comments are misplaced. :-?
Re Bong I am not fixated at all, just happens to be a subject that has such huge impact on so many surfers in so many ways which I personally (and seems many others too) find worthy of commenting on. And it aint over yet.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:48 am

Hollowed out wrote:Trev, it was not me who raised it at all in this thread, it was channels having some kind of childish shot for some lame reason. Read the post he made at the start of this thread to see that your comments are misplaced. :-?
Re Bong I am not fixated at all, just happens to be a subject that has such huge impact on so many surfers in so many ways which I personally (and seems many others too) find worthy of commenting on. And it aint over yet.
My comments aren't misplaced.
I HAVE read the thread.
My comments are directed at both of you.
Insensitivity has been a part of Realsurf forums forever. I'm not condoning it, just pointing it out.
For instance, read the comment by Damage in "Bad things that have happened because of Realsurf"

Honestly, I think channels' comment about Billabong, given that 50% of your posts are about that company, are valid (and a little bit funny :-o ). You should be pleased he's reading your posts enough to realise they were from you.

I missed the connection. :oops:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:57 am

RIP

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:16 am

daryl wrote:RIP
wot he said :D:

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:11 am

How many people have been smacked in the head by their own surfboard? Its never happened to me despite lots and lots of falls, but given that at least 1/4 time I have no idea where I am when falling, I certainly have little idea where my board is and there must be an element of luck involved (although I recognise that if I am 3 ft underwater, probably my board wont hit me, unless it spears straight down).

Why don't more surfers wear helmets?

Why hasn't someone invented a lightweight helmet that is not designed to protect you going head first into a reef from 8ft up (all surfing helmets I have seen are designed for maximum protection), but is designed to reduce the impact of a board eg just some strong padding (like a rugby 'helmet'), perhaps in the design of one of those surfing caps (that tie under your chin), which just offer some protection from a hard item (board) hitting another hard item (head).

As a 'beginner' surfer there are still somethings that are unclear to me...

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:34 am

pinhead wrote:Not sure what crowding has to do with this story, only needs to be one out to get hit with you're own board
True, but the chance of injury in crowds increases as other surfers distract from the task at hand (riding a wave) and, especially when there's a lot of kooks around at places such as The Pass, make unpredictable moves.

ctd: I suspect that there's a lot of resistance to surfers wearing protective gear such as helmets and sunnies. Uncool? You could probably wear a rugby helmet for lightweight protection provided you washed it thoroughly after each session. But would it, or any other helmet, stop concussion as the brain will get shaken anyway?

RIP.