so what can anyone do about this

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

so what can anyone do about this

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon May 06, 2013 1:49 pm

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: so what can anyone do about this

Post by steve shearer » Mon May 06, 2013 2:08 pm

I don't see anything changing because people don't give a fcuk.

cheap tourism is all they want.

Surf hipsters living parasitically on the Indo culture don't care; they can still grow beards and get 1080p footage of them riding singlefins at Ulus before downing cocktails at Seminyak at the latest fashion label launch.

It's just one giant clusterfcuk and tourists still love it.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon May 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Notwithstanding the power imbalances and associated cultural issues, this isn't something that is only happening overseas.
My train today went past thousands of houses and factories built on productive farmland, bushland or coastal wetlands.
steve shearer wrote:I don't see anything changing because people don't give a fcuk.
I give a fcuk.
But I'm tiring of trying to convince others to give one too.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon May 06, 2013 3:15 pm

alakaboo wrote:Notwithstanding the power imbalances and associated cultural issues, this isn't something that is only happening overseas.
My train today went past thousands of houses and factories built on productive farmland, bushland or coastal wetlands.
steve shearer wrote:I don't see anything changing because people don't give a fcuk.
I give a fcuk.
But I'm tiring of trying to convince others to give one too.
I surfed south Maroubra a couple of weeks back and between the surf and the access track to the carpark I picked up more garbage than I could carry, walking in a straight line. I had to use my board as a kind of garbage table. While waiting for a mate to come in I was watching people. Every single person I saw just walked right over all the shit on the beach without a thought.
The rubbish was mostly plastic. If every clubbie, beachy or surfer picked up a bit of crap off the beach on their daily sojourns, the beaches would be clean. Somehow, it's just not their responsibility.

I think the Balinese will start to give a fcuk only when the garbage has a major downward impact on the tourist dollar. Money will be the only driver.

Generally, I think people don't give a fcuk.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon May 06, 2013 3:38 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Surf hipsters living parasitically on the Indo culture don't care; they can still grow beards and get 1080p footage of them riding singlefins at Ulus before downing cocktails at Seminyak at the latest fashion label launch.

yeah cos trendcats on singlefins are the real cause of the problem here.

culturally, rubbish disposal and keeping the streets clean is not a huge priority for modern Indonesians. More than once, I've seen a busload of teenagers get bussed to down to lakeys on a weekend blaring stupid pop music from the speakers of their mobile phones. then they all just dump their plastic drinking cups and trash in a pile on the beach, then go home.

I don't think Bali even has real waste management, the storm water drains are full of trash, it rains and gets washed out to sea.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Mon May 06, 2013 4:08 pm

looks alot like pittwater rd and thereabouts manly nsw
not as much broken glass as manly though

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Mon May 06, 2013 4:25 pm

I dont think there is any easy answers for Bali, I read some article about the predicted future tourist arrival numbers in years to come and there predicting crazy numbers in the future, and the Bali governor was stoked, thats what they want more and more, but how much can poor old Bali take?

She is like this beautiful young virgin, who got the taste for sex, everyone wanted to screw her and did and now she is becoming this washed up old hooker that strangely enough everyone still wants a taste of not for what she is now but maybe for what she was?

Personally as surfers I think we should just move on from the concern for Bali and just learn from its huge mistakes and help but not dictate a better future for other areas of Indonesia that surfers visit and to a degree are opening up.

Places like the Mentawais, change is happening there at a pretty fast rate every year more surf camps/resorts open, there is now around or over 15 with about ten in the playgrounds area alone thats not including more budget options. (i know of 2 or 3 more that will open this year or next)

They may not be facing issues with water but all these places have to get rid of there rubbish in some way as do charter boats, then theres issues of damage to the reef through constant anchoring, bombing of reefs during off season from bomb fishing.

I personally fear areas of mentawais could become like Nias, don't get me wrong i don't think the cheap accommodation or even crowds have ruined Nias, its the fact the buildings are pretty much wall to wall and the coconut palms where knocked down to make way for it all, so its damn ugly from where ever you are land or in water.

I wish surfing companies or rich surfers or someone would help preserve these places, buy up huge areas of land just so it can be kept as it is like a surfing reserve, but its all about money and theres no money in that i guess, so everywhere will get screwed, maybe we should just enjoy it while we can.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon May 06, 2013 4:52 pm

but don't you the once in a lifetime opportunity to surf with Matt Hoy?

or Barton Lynch???

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Have to disagree. I don't see the situation as us and them. As in they don't care so we will f*ck off. A lot of Australian surfers have a stake in bali and you could argue that we are as much to blame as anyone. Reading the Bali Post and a few expat mags last time I was over there made me realize that a lot of stuff is happening, a lot of stuff isn't happening and a lot of stuff pretends to be happening. Some of it is simply organizational. tThe way bali is developing it really has to be on the ground private enterprise that does it.

I read one article pointing out that they don't get the drains cleared before the wet season so it floods everywhere. That's not an insurmountable problem. All that plastic will become a resource if its processed properly. That's some work for someone.

Went to Serengan in an old bemo and man did it stink. Beautiful once we got there. A lot of the island is much more organized and clean. The main tourist areas are out of control.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon May 06, 2013 5:02 pm

el rancho wrote: yeah cos trendcats on singlefins are the real cause of the problem here.
No, just a very visible manifestation of the modern phenomena whereby people would rather try and recreate a past fantasy for the sake of selling a product (brand "me": me being whatever hipster is fresh off the WQS looking to retrofit a career) rather than acknowledge some of the simple reality of there they at.

The Bali Expat Surf/Fashionista scene relies on the continuation of the fantasy, rather than making any real effort to make a contribution to cleaning up some of the mess they are living in.

It's a symptom and a cause.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon May 06, 2013 5:29 pm

steve shearer wrote:It's a symptom and a cause.
a cause of what? too many people walking around canggu in bare feet carrying singlefins?
the hip 70's Bali crowd is a spec in the ocean.

the most visible and culturally destructive presence in Bali is mainstream shitbags from Perth looking for ephedrin, a root and haggling the locals down to nothing.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:46 pm

el rancho wrote:
steve shearer wrote:It's a symptom and a cause.
a cause of what? too many people walking around canggu in bare feet carrying singlefins?
the hip 70's Bali crowd is a spec in the ocean.

the most visible and culturally destructive presence in Bali is mainstream shitbags from Perth looking for ephedrin, a root and haggling the locals down to nothing.
Basically Bali is being bogan raped by whatever country the international bogans come from!!!! then of course the internal $ chasing at the original locals expense, Tommy Suharto may be gone but his craft of graft continues. better players than him are playing and not getting caught>
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Mon May 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Global Village on SBS
http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/globalvilla ... cle/7431/‎
The Greening of Curitiba Curitiba is the greenest city in Brazil with pioneering recycling and greening programmes and an excellent public transport system.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon May 06, 2013 6:28 pm

We'll do what we always do and find a new bali until we trash that. We are relentless nest shiters and bali won't stop us now!
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon May 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Coops wrote:We'll do what we always do and find a new bali until we trash that. We are relentless nest shiters and bali won't stop us now!
have you seen where Cocos Island is?
was thinking of getting a job in the detention centres, setting everyone free in a mass prison bust out.

then I'd go surfing.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 06, 2013 9:10 pm

The east coast is being developed right now partly thanks to the new highway we paid for. It offers an opportunity to do it right.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

eel
regular

Post by eel » Mon May 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Indeed working out who to blame is more important than finding a solution.

But pretending that is not the case we could work at getting one of these built on the island http://www.fulcrum-bioenergy.com/ and get them to pay a small amount per kilo for rubbish.

I'm sure all the rubbish would find a way out of the water, off the streets, out of the gutters etc in no time

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue May 07, 2013 8:26 am