pschyco rock fishermen

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

nubby
charger

pschyco rock fishermen

Post by nubby » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:40 am

i remember a few years back, i was hitting it for the earls and the swell was solid 6-8ft and i was cursing having to rock off......this particular jump off has one of those little saftey zones where you wait for a lull but cant realy see much. you just sorta poke your head round the rock and look for a break in the sets. it was still kinda dark as i took my first look around the corner, so at first i didnt realy believe what i was saw. a fisho, all raincoat and gumboots standin right out on the jump off spot! i also saw a set comin so i ducked back round to saftey. when the set passed i went round the corner to find the fisho baiting up, back turned to the ocean! i told him he was a total f#@kwit and a few free fish was not worth dying for and got ready to jump off, then, no joke, the fisho put his rod down and started to come towards me like he wanted to fight. i burst out laughin and jumped off. had a great surf and i suppose he made it home to, but mate, WHAT IS GOIN ON IN THIER HEADS????????ive been rockin off for 15 years and i still HATE it, i do it cause im lazy and hate duckdiving even more. but fishos? they have got fish shops and harbours and rivers when its 8ft.....what are they thinkin? has anyone else (everyone else probably) got a pscycho rock fisho tale to tell?

spotty
Local

rock heads

Post by spotty » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:05 am

I've been a beach fisherman all my life. Ten years ago a mate of mine took me rocking at a few spots around Ballina. To those guys its all calm & chilled, to me it was a white knuckle ride. They can bloody keep it. oh, and the swell was only about 3 ft. And no, i am not a total blouse, its the clambering down slimy cliff faces and walking on wobbly planks that made me worried.

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:47 pm

down at waitpinga point (SA) on a 1-2ft day and we'd had enough of grovelling in the surf we wandered down the point to where our mate was fishing of a huge flat rock near the end of the point. Every now and then a bigger set would wash up the rock but never came closer than a few metres from where he was fishing. We hung out there for about 1/2 an hour when we spotted a slightly bigger set coming, big enough that it washed all my mate's tacklebox and bait away and knocked him on his arse. We pissed ourselves laughing, coz he was ok, but I know that guys fish off the rocks there in much bigger swells. Crazy! Not the best fishing spot...

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:10 am

i bet you wished you had that on video huh?

schnorky
regular

Post by schnorky » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:33 am

Rockfisherpeoplepersons should wear wetsuits. Wetsuit co's should make fishing wetsuits. That is, a bit of colour, a velcro fly and some increased floatation. Every rockfisho gets washed in at least once....you can count on it. I started 30 years ago and began surfing 20 years ago. I cannot fish when the surf is good but thank god for fishing when the summers arrive like this one.
Blah Blah Blah

joeblow
Grommet

Post by joeblow » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:38 am

I've done rock fishing for years. Its good fun. Mind you I stay away when the surf gets bigger (besides I'd rather surf then anyway).

Been lifted up and dumped on my arse a couple of times. Not a great worry buy those barnacles can be a real bastard on your arse.

Funny thing is that some rock fishos can't swim. Now that is crazy.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:00 pm

nice logo there schnork - gotanymore?

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:40 pm

They make harnasses that fit into the rocks now so you can never be washed out to sea.

joeblow
Grommet

Post by joeblow » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:09 pm

From the front page of the manly daily -
"Just say no to rockfishing" was the message from two men pounded by monstrous waves while trapped on a DY rock ledge ...
What the ....

How about don't go rock fishing when the surf is f*cken huge!!!

That would have to have been close to a darwin award nomination.

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:59 am

especially considering they could have held a picnic on that spot for the last 3 months.................

fletch
regular

Post by fletch » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:32 am

isn't it statistically one of the most dangerous sports/activities? About 6 of them die every year.

Dave
regular
Location: Central coast, out the back, 6 foot and glassy, no crowds

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:36 am

Maybe that is why it has been so flat. Not enough rock fishos being sacrificed to Huey...

Next flat spell just push a few in.... :twisted:

schnorky
regular

Post by schnorky » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:27 pm

Sorry Lazza....I stole that one and you are welcome to plagiarise. They look a bit like blackfish eh...
Blah Blah Blah

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:53 am

im a rock fishing fan, and from what ive heard it usually vietnamese guys getting washed in.
unfortunately some people from other cultures cant swim.
THIS MAY OFFEND SOME VIEWERS
i was fishing off wollongong breakwall and the kingies were hitting hard, had a huge strike as one took my line and did a big run, and in the corner of my eye, i noticed this vietnamese dude get pulled off the top of the breakwall into the boulders down the bottom, (must have been a kingie hit, or a stingray) so anyway ive got one eye on this guy, im calling out to his mates while trying to fight this fish on my line, im telling them to help thier mate, and one guy says to me "ring ambulance", so im looking at my rod and reel, then i look over at my bag, and i decide to put my rod down and let it freespool, i run over to my bag to get my mobile, and i see theve got this guy up and hes almost back on the rock again he looks sortof ok, so i run back and keep reeling in this fish, oh it was a beuty, a 68cm yellowtail kinfish, and the guy, well he broke a rib or two.

another time matty and i were checking out this spot at kurnell during that giant swell a few years ago, its easily 10ft at the spot we named death, and slamming into the rock cliff, heavy heavy wave, i even got my jeans drentched standing on top of the cliff watching it.
as we were leaving these meditaranian guys turn up and start fishing, we couldnt believe it, so matty drives his 4wd over and tells them its too dangerous to fish here, try around in the bay.
they nod and say thanks.
anyway on the news that night we saw that unfortunately some rock fishermen had died at that exact spot that day.
if anyone thought i was being rude or racist i wasnt, its just unfortunate that fishing can be done by people that cant swim or dont have ocean knowledge, and my condolences go to these guys and thier families.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:51 am

in a 6 metre swell & when the ocean looks like a washing machine - like thursday - how many fish are there in all of that froth anyway ?

waves at avoca that day were washing up to the edge of the carpark - so I'm told - imagine what the favourite rock fishing spot around the point was like, probably similar to DY !!!

joeblow
Grommet

Post by joeblow » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:09 am

I think a lot of people that did not grow up around surf tend to underestimate its danger. I would imagine alot of surf life rescues would be for tourists.

The same would go for rock fishing. If you didn't grow up around surf then I reckon rock fishing would be an especially risky proposition.

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:05 pm

rock fishos are nuts but wat ele sux about em is when yar surifng a nice beachy n an old bastard with a giant rod casts his line right out into the line-up! it happened the other morning out at newport! he came along n just proceded to cast out in2 d middle of the break! now i dont particullarly wanna fall off a wave n feel a hook go thru me leg n then procede to get wound in. i cant imagin that would ba a pleasant experience