The FreeRideVoice

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

offshore1
Duke Status

Re: The FreeRideVoice

Post by offshore1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Will there be a movie comp? I'm not subscribing unless there's a movie comp.

good luck Steve , as my esteemed colleague Mr. Nut just so eloquently stated, it's going to be difficult to compete in the vast internet arena for viewers' limited time and resources against sites who offer content for free .. 'cough realsurf cough'

it's certainly an ongoing debate: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 30484.html
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

SurfieC
Local

Post by SurfieC » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:01 pm

Sounds very interesting. Good luck, Steve

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:31 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:

Journalism without advertiser influence may still require an 'audience' focused writing undertone to be successful. Totally honest, independent and unbiased information may not be taken well, and it turn, subscription renewal falls away. Tabloids have used sensationalism to overcome this for years, so that may be an unfortunate unplanned path.

With the internet full of 'free to read' information, the value proposition seems to lie in the unique video concepts, for which I am not sure the subscription prices will sufficiently cover and so 'outside' funding for those project may be required, and in turn, the 'influence free' aspect may be watered down.
Great feedback. My model is Private Eye, the satirical mag/paper from England. They seem to survive.

I've already accepted product from a surfing company and I intend to flow that back to shareholders/subscribers as dividend and give some away to new subs.
The process is transparent, and post edit. but your point is well taken.

Fishing gear would be my achilles heel. I'd sell my soul for a new Stella.
Surf product, not so much.
There's a lot of unknown unknowns.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:42 pm

steve shearer wrote:thanks Gents.

GSTQ, I want your skills.
A regular "insult Nick Carroll through the medium of MS Paint" slot? Cool. I'm off for a surf now but let me know what you're after. PM if you'd prefer
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:55 pm

The Otway could take off his Avatar and contribute , but will definitely subscribe! Thank heavens it wasn't called a free lunch , would have become a voice for disembodied pollies !

I look forward to seeing how the vested interests react without any advertising muscle to sway article content!
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:00 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
steve shearer wrote:thanks Gents.

GSTQ, I want your skills.
A regular "insult Nick Carroll through the medium of MS Paint" slot? Cool. I'm off for a surf now but let me know what you're after. PM if you'd prefer
Come on I expect more of Freeride's Welsh correspondent.

Surely there's some lame arse local hero you can haul out of the pub long enough to extract a touching yet powerful profile, telling the truth about who really did the business in Wales in 1978 and how the heartless surf industrial complex tossed him aside in favour of some wannabe cleanskin, you know, like Carwyn Williams or someone

To be honest I would love to read a GSTQ take on some amazingly dramatic yet sort of faux ridiculous super surfing situation, you know, Hawaii in the lead up to Pipe etc

I would kick down $100 for that.

That's the challenge shearer, not to give voice to some boring arse French Marxist Theory of Pro Surfing just 'cause nobody else could be fcuked running it, but to do crazy shit on the main stages.

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Well done Steve.
I'll definitely go there.
And if you can work in some kind surf-chicken stories - all the better.
the dreams that stuff was made of

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:16 pm

That's a great idea.

Day one and the response has been solid. Some heavy hitters subbing, i mean how the fcuk did Putin get the link.

Thanks Murrum , there's a natural history category that will be filled in due course.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:01 pm

I need photos.

I=phone shots are sufficient.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Well why didn't you say so.

I'll photo Reg conducting his northern beaches workshops.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:07 pm

reginald wrote:My first piece is gonna be on Boardie rash or Ichthyosis, Whats worse?.
On a Scale of 1 to 10 No scratchings!
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Nice work Steve!
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:31 pm

When you say that the articles will be free of influence from advertisers, what are you going to do if someone writes an article critical of the big surf company that you have already accepted product from?
Will there be any editorial input from yourself, particularly in the circumstance of someone writing something critical (yet well researched) about yourself, a professional surfer(s), the big surf companies or the ASP?
Particularly something that potentially jeopardises your presence (in the capacity as a journalist) at a surf event.
A good example of this might be if one your contributors submitted an article highly critical ZoSea, even if it was thoroughly researched. That is the dilemma you face if you wish to produce a totally "independent" website free of commercial influence

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:00 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:01 am

localbogan wrote:Will there be any editorial input from yourself, particularly in the circumstance of someone writing something critical (yet well researched) about yourself, a professional surfer(s), the big surf companies or the ASP?
Geez, I hope there is some editorial oversight, because if I hear the story about how you invented the pro tour format again I'd be cancelling my subscription post-haste.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:56 am

steve shearer wrote:I need photos.

I=phone shots are sufficient.
More information.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:53 am

Braithy wrote:Well why didn't you say so.

I'll photo Reg conducting his northern beaches workshops.
Braithy is it true you will soon be departing for Florida to become FreeRide's fly on the wall in Kelly's home town - you know, dish the dirt on who secretly hates him and who painted his statue pink etc - yet risking life and limb in the process thanks to Florida's terrible Sinkhole Crisis

There is literally NO END to the fun you could have in Florida. Nobody's written nearly enough about Cocoa Beach.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:26 am

... and as an aside to the terrible sinkhole crisis and the Kelly hate campaign.

I could squat in Kelly's house. And then set up an anonymous twitter account, where I wear a balaclava and torment kelly with photos of myself putting various beloved household items of his into my anus and balls region.

Then to win over Kelly's admiration, I could apprehend myself and evict the intruder from his residence. You know, like those firefighters that light the fires? So they can be the hero when they put out the fire they started!!

If that isn't new age digital journalism, I'm not quite sure what is.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism