The FreeRideVoice

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: The FreeRideVoice

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:00 am

I think there are a lot of plus points for pro surfing, its a noble sport, gives kids a dream, helps kids surf out of the ghetto, etc. but its also a star system and worship model which helps big $$$ sell more boardshorts. Not only to the surfers that can't afford them anymore, but the non-surfing public who think they're buying into the dream.

I mean politics aren't all bad either (some might argue differently) but HST's political commentary had the lines of "if the bastards are still there, I'll keep writing".

Surf journalism needs both sides, and I think the Free-Ride-Voice will talk for the diversity in surfing more than any other publication which has its bills paid by big surf $$$.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:11 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:22 am

How to straddle that vast epistemological divide made apparent here thus far. From go to pro and back. Within and beyond surf culture's inexorable slide into a soulless commodity, a conduit for the ever diminishing integrity of human expression. Packaged, branded, drugged, fcuked and dumped in a wheelie bin.
Core blimey.

As far as realsurf and pros goes...what they bought ate shat saw heard wore did thought rode drove dug hated hurt loved wondered. ...
could they be bothered?

I like how DH writes like he surfs; comma, full stop - less.

It's an exciting project Steve. I'm down wi't.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:13 pm

reginald wrote:
Cpt.Caveman wrote:I think there are a lot of plus points for pro surfing, its a noble sport, gives kids a dream, helps kids surf out of the ghetto
This is great.

I can see it now. Angus stone doing a cover of In the Ghetto. Sat out the back of woolly's at Av. Getting shoved out of the way by kks mate as he pushes a stack of trolleys in. Wandering over to the beach guitar over hi shoulder roustabout style. Blasted by a speeding late model Audi wagon that peels into the car park and a local thirty something street/surf ware mogul surveys the lineup and gets down with the local grommets. Oh feel the pain.
Lol
You'll find contradictions in anything :)

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 pm

pinhead wrote:I don't hate pro surfing or the surfwear corps. They just annoy me by they way they presume to represent the "sport of surfing". I engage in the sport whenever I get the chance and my engagement wouldn't change if pro surfing and the surfwear corps disappeared tomorrow. I think I speak for everyone on real surf when I say that we all dislike people claiming to speak for us.
Propaganda is most effective when the victims think that they are exercising free will.

The surf industry is good at that, but they are slipping...

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:l keep writing".

Surf journalism needs both sides, and I think the Free-Ride-Voice will talk for the diversity in surfing more than any other publication which has its bills paid by big surf $$$.
It's bound to be more real than that glossy Pezman publication which dishonestly claims to be payola free.

What's the subscription cost? I could go back to the start of the thread but another link here wouldn't hurt.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:17 pm

http://www.thefreeridevoice.com/

$50 big ones AU for a year :)

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:29 pm

skipper wrote:How to straddle that vast epistemological divide made apparent here thus far. From go to pro and back. Within and beyond surf culture's inexorable slide into a soulless commodity, a conduit for the ever diminishing integrity of human expression. Packaged, branded, drugged, fcuked and dumped in a wheelie bin.
Core blimey.
I like ... I quote.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:28 am

Womble wrote:
skipper wrote:How to straddle that vast epistemological divide made apparent here thus far. From go to pro and back. Within and beyond surf culture's inexorable slide into a soulless commodity, a conduit for the ever diminishing integrity of human expression. Packaged, branded, drugged, fcuked and dumped in a wheelie bin.
Core blimey.
I like ... I quote.
So far it seems we've only gone through 3 phases
Packaged, branded, drugged, fcuked
leaving...

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:19 pm

Enjoying the quikpro commentary very much...nice to see some beef, and 'onion peeling' so to speak....

Suggestion box...For the ' Shapers corner'

Malcolm Campbell will be here in a few weeks doing a stint at Rhino Laminating. Howsabout an indepth with him Steve?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:48 pm

hell yeah.

I'll get a chance to get another 7'0" off him.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:31 am

Just subscribed for the year. Expecting the insights of the garbo when you get to bells. Good luck with the venture
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:42 am

Really enjoying the reads Steve!

Another suggestion for the shaper's corner, I hear Dan Tomo will be back in Aus soon (might be already? who knows). I would love to read an interview with him thats not rediculous physics jargon the whole way through. Hell, maybe you can make some sense out of him... :)

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:02 pm

i subscribed.
can't say i have much interest in people standing up on a surfboard. but thought it a worthy cause and i wish you all the best steve.

lostman
charger

Post by lostman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Nice promo over on CW. Should hopefully draw some more traffic.

Is Kidman going to do some writing for your site Steve? Some of his stuff is ok!

Maybe he could do a piece about a psuedo hippy, living on a farm in the hinterland, obsessed with trying to relive 1972.
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Hey, steve, what's the go with the video at the end of The Richest Man on Earth? Tried to login with my FreeRideVoice credentials and it said my email address and password didn't match
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:15 pm

lostman wrote:Nice promo over on CW. Should hopefully draw some more traffic.
Link ...

http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/articl ... &display=0
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.