Snapper riffing

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Snapper riffing

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:05 pm

it was fcuking nutz.

I watched it with a couple Pro fisherman mates and my heavily pregnant cousin.

she was blown away.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:08 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
KS was in real form at this contest,

His blocking of Joel on that bomb wave was epic revenge. In 2003, the Showdown at Pipe, AI in the lead, KS drifting wide, the best wave of the final loomed, Joel v deep took off and blocked him. Didn't make the wave. There was a 10 in that wave. Kelly felt that in his competitive centre, it killed him, and there's no way he forgot it. Today, he got revenge the way it's always served -- cold, and 10 years later. He didn't talk about it but that's 'cause nobody had the wit to ask.

You wanna really report on this shit, report on what the surfers are going through. Honestly, nothing else counts.
Nick no doubt Kelly would still remember 2003 but the events of 2003 or no 2003 in a final on the World Tour regardless if it was a Parkinson, Fanning, Taj a Melling or a Glen Hall he would have kept them off that wave if it was the difference between a win and a runner up.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:15 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: His blocking of Joel on that bomb wave was epic revenge. In 2003, the Showdown at Pipe, AI in the lead, KS drifting wide, the best wave of the final loomed, Joel v deep took off and blocked him. Didn't make the wave. There was a 10 in that wave. Kelly felt that in his competitive centre, it killed him, and there's no way he forgot it. Today, he got revenge the way it's always served -- cold, and 10 years later. He didn't talk about it but that's 'cause nobody had the wit to ask.
Just saw some footage of the wave from down the line ... Parko slotted to perfection gives KS a wiggle-esque double finger shuffle type pumpy thing before heading out through the back door as Kelly prepares to take the drop. Parko wins with that wave ...but knowingly concedes the priority ... champion that.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:16 pm

pinhead wrote:How was the vibe when Kelly won? It seemed to me that no-one wanted to hear that story. The sports fans want drama and the KS victories are becoming hum drum. How is this affecting the king's psyche? The fact that people want him to stop winning. Not even like he's a villain that people could love to hate. He has surfed amazingly well but the fans I think want to see someone else surf amazingly well.

honestly the crowd was losing it after every wave. I was speechless after a few of those barrels, hands down slater/parko/fanning are just fucken dope as shit

the crowd was kinda bummed that parko lost but it wasn't because of dud scoring, the waves just turned off for awhile. although when slater dropped in on parko with priority I think the crowd wasn't too pleased.

but yeah, he's slater and he surfed incredibly and I knew that's why he wanted to move to Kirra, he had the edge.
Last edited by el rancho on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:23 pm

I know them's the rules, but fcuk me, how good would it have been for Joel to have been able to surf that wave? I feel like we all missed something really special
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:23 pm

I know them's the rules, but fcuk me, how good would it have been for Joel to have been able to surf that wave? I feel like we all missed something really special
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Lolo
Grommet

Post by Lolo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: Parko was coming out in defense of his world championship for the first time. This is a really tough gig. He handled it superbly throughout. HATED losing that final.

Fanning wanted the win, that's what he was after, to set himself for the year, and he had it until KS got that 10. Which was a bit of lucky positioning.
Parko and Mick were both frothing at the mouth to win this one at home no doubt. Just when you think Kelly might be starting to show signs of being human after losing the title last year he comes back and smokes both of them at the absolute top of their games in back to back heats without seeming to raise a sweat. Damn impressive.

He's already playing mind games posting up pics of Parko flipping him the bird as he drops in on Twitter and laughing at him. Unbelievable!

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 pm

fongss wrote:Just so I get this right

Slater dropin on parko. in the tube
won him the comp :?:
Fong, me dear sweet friend. I know where you surf. You know the rules, just like I do. If you paddle around someone, all bets are off ...
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Lolo
Grommet

Post by Lolo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:30 pm

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Epic!

Surfing hasn't been this alive since Andy was.
Kunji wrote:

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 pm

I actually can't believe how good the event was considering the state of the superbank, enormous tides and onshores

i had a late session in the SW winds and copped some beatings on a special sandbar that's developed, nice to be inside a tube again

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Braithy wrote:Epic!

Surfing hasn't been this alive since Andy was losing control of his bodily functions alone and dying of an accidental drug overdose in an hotel in Dallas
Bunker Spreckles might have something to say about that.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 pm

I haven't heard that name in over a decade.

My very first email address was his name at hotmail dot com.
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:25 pm

Braithy wrote: and this event will be quite the anti-spectacle.
Any chance of a revised call here Braithy? :roll:
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Shame it didn't get wider coverage.
I feel I've missed something.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:34 pm

There's a few things I'm revising. Right now in fact ;)
Kunji wrote:

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:43 pm

Braithy, I've enjoyed your articles. It's great to get constructive feedback from Australia's best surf journo so a win/win.

I can't believe how worked up some folk seem to be getting over Parko flipping the bird. I thought it was funny. Do Seppo's not realise the rest of the world don't pixelate the bird? It's not a big deal here mateys.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 pm

Thanks Buzzy! It was fun.
Kunji wrote: