Shortboard Hydrofoils

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Shortboard Hydrofoils

Post by Drailed » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:10 pm

Sorry to be rude about your gig surfoils.

Its just that when I surf my person wants to draw maximum energy and negative ionisation from the ocean and hydrofoils just adds another barrier.

I was close to giving up surfing once to dedicate completely to bodysurfing to minimise physical barrier, maximise immersion and negative ionisation.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:37 pm

Derailed , I too lost focus in life (surfing), so I tried to do more with the family, community and religion but found them all to be dead ends.
Have I showed you my handplanes ?
TC is getting a foil soon. Probably a Go Foil.

Offshores1, they're making foils to retrofit onto any old surfboard so you only need the foil. Even that chunky old Gunther Rohn that's been under the house sulking for 30 years.

Foils are expensive at the moment, around $1600 which is way too high.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:02 pm

Do your handplanes allow for maximum negative ionisation surfoils or do they create too bigger barrier with uplift thus not allowing for required immersion?

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:03 pm

Drailed, here's some of my handplanes....

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/1st-handplane-attempt

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks Surfoils. Do you have any data on oceanic negative ionisation levels when using the handplane compared to not using?

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:03 pm

No, Im only interested in how they surf.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:47 pm

SURFFOILS wrote:No, Im only interested in how they surf.
Don't worry SURFFOILS.
Every forum has one.
Ours is Loofy (Drailed).
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:13 pm

Good to know, I'll be kind.
I welcome your input Drailed, it's the people from Left Field who see things that other don't.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:42 pm

SURFFOILS wrote:Good to know, I'll be kind.
I welcome your input Drailed, it's the people from Left Field who see things that other don't.
Yeah. He may be a Looftus. But he's OUR Looftus.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 pm

IMG_3460.JPG
(78.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cmon guys, Hydrofoils are starting to show up on the East coast, I've seen a few guys on the GC flying like they're on coke. Until you see it, you'll never appreciate how fast you can go.
Anyone had a go on one yet ?
I know TC got one installed in a board in Brookvale.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu May 18, 2017 11:45 pm

I thought there could never be something more shit than a surf ski. Then I thought there could never be something more shit than a sup.
Then
Erase.

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Fri May 19, 2017 5:47 am

Yeah I never enjoyed the few minutes I had on a ski.
I SUPed once and thought it's not for me.

But if you've never foiled, and I'm guessing that's true, then you haven't felt the amazing acceleration and smoothness of the ride.
It's not like changing fins, or wax Vs deckgrip, it's like getting out of a bus and into a limo.
Same environment , totally different feeling.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat May 20, 2017 3:36 pm

SURFFOILS wrote:IMG_3460.JPG

Cmon guys, Hydrofoils are starting to show up on the East coast.
Hello. I have a 5'8 Hypto Krypto. Do you have Hydrofoils to fit my board?

And how do they go in the barrel? Will I have to crouch down more for extra clearance?
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Sat May 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Hatchnam, I will soon.
The mast length is one of the issues with the 3 foot masts that are currently available, just too long to be useful in the surf, loo dangerous for the rider and others, too heavy and hard to paddle over shallow water and reefs. Funnily, on one of my first foil prototypes I used an 18' mast and I was pogo-ing up and down as the foil rose and dropped with the power.
A shorter surfing mast keeps the foil and feeling closer to the board, a closer foil reacts quicker. but thats all things that foilers discover as they ride.
The current retail foils are about $1600 and you need a compatible board with either a Tuttle box, twin fin boxes or there even is a 3M stick on foil. That glue on idea is ingenious but Id hate to lose a $1600 foil because the glue failed.

I have a pretty solid system now that Im still testing for so many issues but should be available within 12 months.
Its completely compatable with any surfcraft.
Its far too easy to ride and I can almost guarantee that any person will successfully foil from their first wave. and be pushing the boundaries of whats possible in just a few days.
Its also cheap, like $200 retail including worldwide postage.
Its very safe with little chance to slice or stab the rider, Id be mortified to know that someone got hurt with my foil because I didnt make the effort to design it better. But everything has its risks and foiling is one of those risky sports.

But Ive got to make sure its as good as I can make it, then pull the trigger and get it on the market. But its completely different from whats currently available in many ways.
SO dont use a current board grab that old Gunther Rohn from under the house and make that your foil board.

bgreen
Grommet

Post by bgreen » Sat May 20, 2017 7:14 pm

Channel 9 Qld weather/surf report last night had a guy on a SUP foil. He was planning along and then he seemed to catch an edge or he just nose-dived.

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Tue May 23, 2017 8:16 am

I think it's when you see someone foiling you understand how fast and how smooth it all is. You can catch an unbroken wave and cover 500 metres cruising back and forth. I'ts surreal. It's already going off in Hawaii / US so it will get here in 6 or 7 years.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:20 am

Can't wait till it hits Snapper.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

SURFFOILS
regular

Re: Shortboard Hydrofoils.

Post by SURFFOILS » Wed May 24, 2017 4:52 pm

Saltman,
you can swap the foil over to another board in a minute. If you've done a small repair you can install the foil.
So that 1990 Gunther Rohn under the house has a new life to live. Any board will do, you don't need to buy a specialty board, an older board works just as well as a brand new one when you're foiling.
I've costed the whole foil kit including postage and a few spares at $200, it's about $1400 cheaper than other foils. The spares are included because life's like that.
The concept was to make it from common materials and avoid any custom components so it's as affordable as possible.
I wanted to make it a real science craft for pros and surf geeks but there's a better market in making it a $200 toy.
It's a great and cheap introduction to foiling for anyone.
It's way safer than any other foil.
It's very easy to ride from the first wave.
Works instantly as long as you've moving forward.
It's such a simple design that if you break a component you could easily make a replacement part
( which means you can modify and customise it later )
It's priced as a toy but it has about 13 years of experience and prototyping behind it so it's got some solid knowledge built in.

The hard thing for me is choosing when to step away from tweaking the design and start getting them out for people to ride.