this girl's gold.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

this girl's gold.

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:14 pm

tell me again how hard it all is. you know, crowds, newbies etc

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2012 ... Mc.blogger

she's a gem.

collnarra

Re: this girl's gold.

Post by collnarra » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:31 pm

thanks for sharing that one. What a gutsy woman.
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Nice find NC, wonder if it can get some traction in the mainstream aussie press...

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:45 pm

obviously a harlot. worse than surfiec.
I could see her ankles.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:49 pm

Thanks, Nick. Hope nothing or nobody ever stops her
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:00 pm

"Women should be at home looking after children, we don't want girls hanging out at the beach" 1min 25 sec in.

:D

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Good on her.
But some slimeball will probably shoot her.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:11 pm

I was swimming with a Pakistani girl at the Gold Coast about 10 years ago and an Indian family started throwing rocks at us and abusing her, then me for being with her.
She flashed a (magnificent) boob at them and told them to fcuk off, which they did after the lifeguards intervened. Was an intense and very strange experience.

More power to her (the surfing chick in the film).

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:33 pm

I wonder how many locals actually care? Al Jazeer probably found the local nut jobs to beat up a story much like our media manipulates stories. The Husband obviously didn't give a shit.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Oh, I bet they care all right. The simple fact that the words free, just a person and not just a woman were used to describe what she liked about surfing and that she is out doors in mixed company adds up to a reason to worry for her safety. More power to her.
The concept of moving with the times doesn't get much traction in fundamentalist countries.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Beanpole wrote:Oh, I bet they care all right. The simple fact that the words free, just a person and not just a woman were used to describe what she liked about surfing and that she is out doors in mixed company adds up to a reason to worry for her safety. More power to her.
The concept of moving with the times doesn't get much traction in fundamentalist countries.
Is Bangladesh that extreme? I thought that nation was more moderate compared to others in the region.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:46 pm

I didnt find Sri Lanka to be like that but I didnt spend enough time there to be indefinite. The other countries I have never visited.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Bangladesh may be nominally less extreme than Pakistan Proper but the rise of anti western ideology is spread across the Arab World. Everyones not like that of course but the idea that individualism and its logical extensions about personal freedom are a mental condition that is ruining the world is well entrenched. The idea that it is best dealt with by ripping it out of society at the root and returning to a pious medieval existence is the basis for anti western sentiment. The realty is that many communities haven't even really left that state yet.

Sri Lanka is mainly Buddhist. The Tamils tend to be Moslem.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:31 am

OK fong. This is a link to a report from al-Jazeera on a young woman from Burma who moved to Bangladesh as a kid and learned to surf at Bangladesh's first and only surf school. At the time there were more girls than boys in the school. Now she's the last girl left still surfing. This is because of institutionalised sexism within the regional culture. The girl was recently married, which usually means "ok now turn your life entirely over to your husband" but in her case, she's kept surfing.

She knows a good thing when she's on to it despite what the local men -- who look like a pretty feeble bunch by comparison -- say about her, ie "whore" and "should be at home cooking" etc. Like listening to a bunch of fat drunk Australian men at a pub 30 years ago.

She's a goofyfoot by the way, pretty cool lil longboard style. Reminds me of my own daughter's style.

I was pretty moved by it, the way surfing seems to represent freedom for this girl in an otherwise repressive and poverty riddled society run by men who've got fcuk all going for them. It really encourages me to see someone experiencing moments of this freedom which is the best side of surfing. I worry that something might go bad for her.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:52 am

I clicked on it yesterday without any issues and again just now.
'puter's still working ATM. :|
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:21 am

Good on her. I just hope that some nutter doesn't shoot her as happened in Pakistan to that 14 year old schoolgirl who had the courage to speak out.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:31 am

fongss wrote:all readsy lost a lap top corrupted by bad infcted links from realsurf :x
Just don't click Dougal's links or look at his posts.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:04 pm

She had cred with me until I noticed that she was carrying her board with the waxed top-side against her body. >><<

BTW, how old is she?