Dark Pandemonium: Parko@Pipe.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Dark Pandemonium: Parko@Pipe.

Post by steve shearer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Parko has motored in fourth gear all year,and the concern for his fans has been that he hasn't been able to find a fifth gear when he needs it most. He hasn't been able to take control of his destiny.

Pipeline is the supreme example of a wave requiring a surfer to be in control of their destiny.

Slater and AI have proven the truth of that over and over.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:22 pm

So long as that jaw protruding, knuckle dragging, faeces throwing Medina doesn't win Pipe I couldn't care less.
I can't believe the locals let him into the supermarket to get his food.
Which is, of course, strictly bananas.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:29 pm

there's only one thing that can upset or distract or confuse kelly enough for him to let parko take the title now and it ain't got nothing to do with no ugly-mugged faint-hearted shit-footed aussie pro surfer. it's girl trouble is what it is. that's why i've taken to emailing shirtless pictures of myself to his girlfriend. results have already started to show - observe sunset. go parko!

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:35 pm

I almost see something reminiscient of Slater's last few contests and the last few Ponting innings - lots of effort with very little output. Can Slater turn it around, unlike Punter? Maybe it's just me... being very hopeful.
Go Parko.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Make sure you capture your fine leonine mane in those pictures, Al.
That's sure to rattle his cage.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:40 pm

why not send her a lock of your hair?

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Fanning must be fired up having barely been mentioned in a lot of reports.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:38 am

and john john has an outside chance doesn't he?
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:08 am

North Pac looking much better as that huge fcuk-off blocking ridge breaks down and swells start to form from a more westerly direction

northeasterly
regular

Post by northeasterly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:31 am

What year was it that Parko blocked Slater and helped his mate Andy Irons take the world title? 03? 04?

Surely Slaters reliving that moment over and over in his head. And I'd say Parko would be as well.

Can't wait!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 am

That day was insane, I doubt it's gonna happen like that this year.

It might well end up a bit of a fizzer -- a points decision rather than a knockout blow.

I think buzzy has a point, only watching the webcast stuff so far but it looks to me like Kelly is in the same slightly dulled form he's been in for a while now, just doesn't look comfortable, and it's not just his board choices. Maybe the young guys are finally starting to show him up a bit and he's trying to go with 'em, but it's creating a conflict in his style; maybe that's why he looked so awkward at Hale and Sunset, not fully in control of his performances.

Pipe as a WCT is different too, they run heats next to each other which changes the dynamic and makes it harder for a classic gamer like Kelly to pull heats out through psyche.

There's a lot of other surfers in the event too and each of 'em have good reason to win heats. Last two champs at Pipe: Jeremy Flores and Kieren Perrow. The title race and the event are two different things.

romak50
regular

Post by romak50 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:58 am

^^
Interesting point. So much depends on who slater/parko are up against as each round progresses.
Wonder if parko is drawn against a parko friendly competitor if they would be willing so sacrifice themselves for him? Vice versa for slater.
Reakon it's a chance of happening?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:48 am

steve shearer wrote:North Pac looking much better as that huge fcuk-off blocking ridge breaks down and swells start to form from a more westerly direction
I didn't think this swell direction favoured Pipe, Steve?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:56 am

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:09 pm

romak50 wrote:^^
Interesting point. So much depends on who slater/parko are up against as each round progresses.
Wonder if parko is drawn against a parko friendly competitor if they would be willing so sacrifice themselves for him? Vice versa for slater.
Reakon it's a chance of happening?
No. Nobody does that.

Pipe likes west with a tiny touch of nw to swing the end section, plus a good bit of ese tradewind. 17 seconds, longer interval the better. Shorter and it tightens down into peaks.
Looking at the charts it seems as if the event will milk itself way out to the end.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:00 pm

I think this current system might come in a tad stronger that indicated.....and the way the system intensifies as it encounters the newly located Gulf of Alaska blocking ridge should see a wide swathe of surf from the WNW into the NW and then NNW.

What this means? Pipe will transition into heats where as the swell direction changes Backdoor will come into play.

The timing of these swell direction changes will play a crucial role in determining the higher scoring Backdoor waves.

You'd have to expect Slater to have, at the least, a subconscious understanding of this and be prepared to take the riskier Backdoor gambit as it comes onto the radar.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:21 pm

Has the heat draw been released? Could do a real surf Sweep for the pipe masters winner gets a free hour with Surfie C in the cross.

Will Joel win it by the others crashing out? Win it by surfing the contest as if its his destiny to win. Will Joel Crash out and Kelly or less likely Mick capitalise. Who is most likely to spoil the party?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:48 pm

steve shearer wrote:What this means? Pipe will transition into heats where as the swell direction changes Backdoor will come into play.
ONe would think this would also favour Parko, too, give his dominance/preference on his forehand compared to his backhand.

Swell seems to wane as it swings more NW/N though so the question is, will they run the event when the swell wanes and swings direction?

I'm still not seeing anything huge behind this system though??