The worst you have been burnt.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Rustt
barnacle

The worst you have been burnt.

Post by Rustt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:21 pm

The surfing with pro surfer thread dug up some horrible memories, like the time Martin Potter burnt me. Was surfing a reef in south west Vic. bout 93 I think , was Easter so all the pros were around, surfed a well known big wave break in the morning and surfed with all the stars. Then snuck around to a quieter break which was actually a lot better, 3 guys out, a local, Derek Ho and Martin Potter, solid 12', 10 waves or so in a set. Paddling out toward the take off watch all 3 get a wave, then I waited for the next set alone first wave of the set comes and I'm in the spot, start paddling can see Potter paddling out, I'm paddling down the face by this time he's at the base, our eyes meet and I know what is about to happen, the word "your not" screamed inside my head. The little gorilla turned around half way up the face and took off nearly underneath me, f**k he was quick, put me right off ended up wearing the lip and getting one of the thrashings of my life, never did catch up to give him an ear full.
The one that really hurt was at J/bay, pulled int a close out barrel at super tubes and could not see the opening, but still it went on, then I could see the end and it's getting rounder and opening right up, I know I'm gunna make it. Then I see a guy paddle for it, the last thing I see is his feet as he brings the whole lot down on me, he bottom turns and flicks out, paddles back over and says "lekka barrel, sorry but I needed a wave". What could I say to that? Not a lot, so I didn't.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Re: The worst you have been burnt.

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Tom Carroll
Whale Beach - Wedge
mid 1980's

Total disregard for BB's inside position , the fact he had ridden some previous larger set waves before (it was a solid 6ft NE swell) the nuggety perpetrator took one look and just went. He was half BB's size and way uglier but Mike Newling was out and I think brother Nick (can't remember) ..... BB just jumped off his board copped a bit of a flogging and thought forget it - go out again later......when the radical hardcore Newy Plus boys weren't out and some sort of civility returns to the joint. The little bugger was very intimidating. Maybe it was the gang though BB does remember Mr Carroll's skill levels being off the richter ....that may have had something to do with it. :roll:

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Skill levels do not in any way excuse the actions of those selfish pr_cks. :evil:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:36 pm

I misjudged a flaming sambucca shot once.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:03 pm

Didn't wear sunscreen and paddled around on a surf mat for two hours on a 40 degree day at Shoreham when i was a kid.

Got burnt so bad my whole back blistered and i had to take a week off school
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:08 pm

And there was that time you drank the vat of oil at the fish and chip shop because you thought one fell out of the basket

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:24 pm

alakaboo wrote:And there was that time you drank the vat of oil at the fish and chip shop because you thought one fell out of the basket
:lol:

Reminds me of the time I was a waiter in a restaurant paying my way through uni. Some nights I wouldn't get a chance to eat anything so halfway through the shift my stomach would be growling like a mofo and I'd been in need of a feed.

Being a rather observant person I would note the dishes I took out and also what parts of it that the people ate. The best tables were the ones with the kids whose parents bought them too much so entire bowls of cottage fries would come back virtually untouched. I'd avoid any that had been hoed into too much of course, germs and all that shit.

When the time came I'd quickly clear the table, make my way back to the kitchen, detour into the storeroom and eat as much as I could and then return the (now empty) plates to the kitchen. Some nights I'd fcuken clean up too, so much so I'd never need to eat when I finished work!

I got caught a couple of times, eventually people just accepted it (I was a uni student so you know, not much money and all) and after a while another bloke called Dave would get in on the act as well :) Occasionally we'd tip each other off about tables that were "good candidates" and of course whenever either of us worked behind the bar we'd always tip a bit of bourbon into the coke too.

Good times, good times.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 pm

I burnt my calf pretty bad on a fcuken scooter exhaust in Bali. They called it the Bali Kiss. I leaned on it hard too, so it was third degree. All the way past the skin into the flesh. It looked like chicken meat. It was hard keeping it clean and covered.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:33 am

Grooter wrote: Reminds me of the time I was a waiter in a restaurant paying my way through uni.
Any food stories from the time you worked as a cook?
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:11 am

petulance wrote:
Grooter wrote: Reminds me of the time I was a waiter in a restaurant paying my way through uni.
Any food stories from the time you worked as a cook?
Yeah man got quite a few actually.

Like the time I ran a bit of a racket handing out free food on plates to bouncers at the club down the road, guaranteed me and a few mates free entry after work a number of free drinks too, until one do-gooder threatened to do me in :x

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:11 am

Coops wrote: It looked like chicken meat.
just as well groots wasn't around

you know, I cannot think of one single time I have been dropped in on by anybody, anywhere. Nope, never.

Hang on that must be my Julie Bishop impersonation.

You have not lived until you have been dropped in on by an inexperienced Brazilian surfer on a 20 foot wave at Waimea Bay and he has then somehow cut directly across your path and fallen off at the same time.

Anyway never been injured as a result of being dropped in on so I suppose that's something.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:36 am

Grooter wrote:I'd avoid any that had been hoed into too much of course, germs and all that shit.
Excuse me? Some of your stories make me think you'd be happy to take a half-eaten kebab out of a garbage bin in St Kilda if you were feeling a bit peckish.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:41 am

Nick Carroll wrote: You have not lived until you have been dropped in on by an inexperienced Brazilian surfer on a 20 foot wave at Waimea Bay and he has then somehow cut directly across your path and fallen off at the same time.
Here's something I've often thought about. What exactly is the protocol at Waimea? So often the footage of the joint shows 2, 3, 4, 5+ guys on the one wave, which makes me think there is some sort of all-bets-are-off survival thing going on out there. Do surfers actually call each other off waves?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:53 am

Karlos wrote:
Grooter wrote:I'd avoid any that had been hoed into too much of course, germs and all that shit.
Excuse me? Some of your stories make me think you'd be happy to take a half-eaten kebab out of a garbage bin in St Kilda if you were feeling a bit peckish.
Yes this was before I'd spent time in India, that happened about 10 years later.

Amongst some very memorable eating experiences over there one of the best was when I ate some fried chips (at least I think that is what they were) from a wallah at a truckstop on the side of a highway at dusk somewhere between Mumbai and Aurangabad. These goodies even came complete with encrusted bugs and flies served on a filthy paper plate. Once you've got through that and rather perversely enjoyed it, you'll be pretty much able to eat anything.

I haven't earnt the nickname "Iron Guts" amongst my family and mates for nothing.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:40 pm

Off-topic but in yesterday's news was a story about some idiot in the USA (of course) who won first prize in a cockroach-eating competition but had no time to enjoy it as choked to death soon afterwards....................... the Darwin principle at work.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:03 pm

Karlos wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote: You have not lived until you have been dropped in on by an inexperienced Brazilian surfer on a 20 foot wave at Waimea Bay and he has then somehow cut directly across your path and fallen off at the same time.
Here's something I've often thought about. What exactly is the protocol at Waimea? So often the footage of the joint shows 2, 3, 4, 5+ guys on the one wave, which makes me think there is some sort of all-bets-are-off survival thing going on out there. Do surfers actually call each other off waves?
Fcuk I dunno, you can call guys off 20'+ set waves if you're in the slot and everyone will leave you to it, but most 15'-18' waves are kind of all in, specially if everyone in the lineup are mates.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Anyway never been injured as a result of being dropped in on so I suppose that's something.

That really is an achievment considering all the sessions you would've done with Tom..

FFS at the Storm Surfers Q and A someone asked

"Is it really true? Does Tom always drop in?"